1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Questions are good! We don't mind them at all and it will have you and your future puppy set up right when you have all of the answers that you need.

If I was searching for a puppy this is a breeder I wouldn't visit more than once. There's no mention of health testing (though that doesn't mean that they aren't doing it), their males are overstandard, and they don't seem to be doing anything with their dogs other than breeding them. It seems to me they are just breeding their dogs for puppies and have no goals in mind past that. I'd pass. I don't know what they're charging but you can get a puppy with a better chance at life from a breeder who tests and titles that dog.

Definitely visit the link in sam&mack's signature :]

·
Registered
990 Posts
Their oldest doberman is 4??? WOW.

KKolberg: this breeder is what we refer to as a BYB (Back Yard Breeder) aka...not reputable.

·
Banned
85 Posts
WOW! There are a lot of opinions about our dogs! Yes, Damien is oversized and that is why he is not being shown! He was bred with two of our females, not for show, but for his temperament! He is an amazing dog and everyone loves him! As for the comment about "two males" in one house, they are litter mates, best friends, and one is Neutered. I purchased Angel and we discussed breeding her with Damien since she comes from a champion line and will be shown but as she is only a year old I have not had the time to do that.

My sister then found an ad on Craigslist for female dobermans and when we saw photos of them we decided to take them in and adopt them out to better homes. The "breeder" had never socialized them, mistreated them, and underfed them. Two of them came to us pregnant and we have been rehabilitating them and adopting them out when the puppies leave. Delilah found a home quickly and the new family loves her and has registered her as a service dog! Yes, we have quite a few females pregnant but we did not expect them to all go into heat at the same time! We offer a 1yr health guarantee. If anyone has questions they can ask for references or talk to us and come meet our babies!

Angie:)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, welcome to DT.

I'd love to hear more about your breeding program such as what health testing has been done on the dogs that you're breeding. This wonderful breed has so many health issues that it's criminal to breed untested dogs, in my opinion.

Also, it's great that your boy has a wonderful temperament but is that really all it takes in your eyes to make him worthy of breeding? My boy's breeder had a male that had the most amazing temperament, had all of the health testing done, and he was absolutely beautiful conformationally. However, he grew to be larger than the standard for this breed so she took him out of her breeding program (because ethical breeders don't breed out-of-standard dogs). If you're breeding for the love of the breed and to improve it as a whole then temperament is only a part of what makes a dog/bitch worthy of being breed and passing on their genes.

Also, I'm confused...
Yes, we have quite a few females pregnant but we did not expect them to all go into heat at the same time!
Do the females have to be bred when they're in heat?
Is that why they're all pregnant?

Many of us here consider ethical breeding to include health testing and titling, etc. As sam&macksmom mentioned earlier, the link in her signature is GREAT and you should read it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everybody has an opinion

We just adopted a pup from this breeder and have been very satisfied. We visited 3 times before deciding to go forth with our adoption. I can tell you from someone who has actually been to the breeder's home and seen how the dogs are raised and cared for that we are happy. Their dogs are wonderful with children and are well socialized, which was important for us since we have a 9 year old child at home. This is our 1st Dobie and I am no "expert" but I've found that most people who claim to be "experts" are nothing more than snooty self righteous idiots who get some sense of superiority out of freely sharing their opinion with others. My husband is a police officer and we are often the target of pranks and vandalism because of it. We wanted a dog for protection and companionship. Period. We have no interest in getting involved in the cult-like circuit of dog shows, etc. And we couldn't be happier with our choice. I think if you are someone who wants to adopt a pet of ANY kind you should visit the breeder in person and get the real story, rather than read a bunch of opinions from people who, while they may be so called "experts," have never see the animals for themselves and have formed their opinion simply from what they have read on a website.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT, also. You should stick around since this is your first doberman. This site is full of valuable information from people who have been working with dobermans for YEARS.

We just adopted a pup from this breeder and have been very satisfied. We visited 3 times before deciding to go forth with our adoption. I can tell you from someone who has actually been to the breeder's home and seen how the dogs are raised and cared for that we are happy. Their dogs are wonderful with children and are well socialized, which was important for us since we have a 9 year old child at home.
It is GREAT that you are pleased with your decision, there is nothing worse than buyer's remorse.

This is our 1st Dobie and I am no "expert" but I've found that most people who claim to be "experts" are nothing more than snooty self righteous idiots who get some sense of superiority out of freely sharing their opinion with others.
I don't think that anybody here is claiming to be an expert but many of us are experienced with this breed. Please notice that the OP asked for our opinions on this breeder.

I think if you are someone who wants to adopt a pet of ANY kind you should visit the breeder in person and get the real story, rather than read a bunch of opinions from people who, while they may be so called "experts," have never see the animals for themselves and have formed their opinion simply from what they have read on a website.
I totally agree with the first part of this post! If you are looking at a breeder and you like the sound of their program go talk to them, go visit them, go meet their dogs! That's what I did. However, there is nothing wrong with asking for opinions from a community of doberman lovers. The members of this forum ADORE this wonderful breed and we want what is best for them. This includes ethical and responsible breeding.

We have no interest in getting involved in the cult-like circuit of dog shows, etc.
If you stick around you'll notice that a great many of us don't show our dogs. I have no intention of showing my dog, never had, I got him as a pet. I wanted nothing more than a companion for myself. However, pet or show dog, I wanted to support a breeder who tests their dogs in every way. This includes temperament, HEALTH, and whether they're built to standard.

Before you call us snooty and what not why don't you actually get to know us? Here you are accusing us of assuming things about somebody that you chose to get a puppy from and yet you're assuming things about us in the process.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Also, for any other members who join just to comment on this thread and the people that already have...

This link will lead you to a great thread that all new members should read.
That link includes a link to our manifesto, something that may explain where a lot of us are coming from. A quote from the page I've linked to - "This community may be different than your average dog forum. We are a passionate group and have strong opinions on certain topics such as irresponsible breeding practices, supporting BYB's (backyard breeders) and puppy mills."

This link will explain what the general consensus of what a reputable/ethical Doberman breeder is.
The quote above mentions responsible breeding practices and this link explains that a little more in depth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't mean to claim that all the people on here are snooty....I'm talking about people who claim to be "experts" in general. Not just experts on this topic. (Whether be it wine tasting, how to hang drywall, Biblical history, vehicles....anything.) I'm glad I stumbled on this forum even though it was in this manner because I want to soak up as much knowlledge as I can about the breed from people who have experience with them. My family has had German Shepherds since I was in Jr. High, so this is a change for us. But we have been doing research and asking around everyone we have ever known that has owned a Dobe for a couple of years to make sure this was the right choice for us. We feel it was a good choice and we are pleased with our breeder as well. I just don't want negative publicity to hurt their chances of adopting out future pups. My husband and I are both in the law enforcement field. I work right next door to our local animal shelter, as well. We see the results almost daily of people who mistreat their pets. If we thought for a second that this breeder was acting unethically or that their animals were unhealthy, we would not have proceeded with our adoption.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
What is a Backyard Breeder?

WOW! There are a lot of opinions about our dogs! Yes, Damien is oversized and that is why he is not being shown! He was bred with two of our females, not for show, but for his temperament! He is an amazing dog and everyone loves him! As for the comment about "two males" in one house, they are litter mates, best friends, and one is Neutered. I purchased Angel and we discussed breeding her with Damien since she comes from a champion line and will be shown but as she is only a year old I have not had the time to do that.

My sister then found an ad on Craigslist for female dobermans and when we saw photos of them we decided to take them in and adopt them out to better homes. The "breeder" had never socialized them, mistreated them, and underfed them. Two of them came to us pregnant and we have been rehabilitating them and adopting them out when the puppies leave. Delilah found a home quickly and the new family loves her and has registered her as a service dog! Yes, we have quite a few females pregnant but we did not expect them to all go into heat at the same time! We offer a 1yr health guarantee. If anyone has questions they can ask for references or talk to us and come meet our babies!

Angie:)

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Just read their facebook page - they sound a bit worried that they have come to the attention of a Doberman Forum...... might hurt their "sales".

IMHO they are just another BYBer - plenty of those around!

·
Banned
85 Posts
Everyone can give their opinions but our "happy customers" and happy, healthy puppies speak for themselves! We have helped these females and are still trying to find new homes for them to have better lives. I gave Kayla references when asked and if she decides to go somewhere else then that is her choice. We are breeding family pets, not show dogs that people charge outrageous prices for! It just irritates me to see people who make judgement on our dogs when they don't know our dogs and this is what people now see when they look for us when none of you know anything about us! Yes, our dogs are young! Yes, we are new to breeding dobermans. However, everyone starts somewhere and we are by no means ignorant to the breed or the health issues that come along with them! We have been raising dobermans for years! All I ask is for everyone to not talk bad about our dogs without talking to us or people who have had experience with us because it can turn away others who would be very happy to have one of our beautiful puppies, even if they did come from a rescued female!

1 - 20 of 376 Posts