Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to buy a doberman puppy in Michigan. I am not looking for a show or breeding dog, just a friend for my son! I came across Great Lakes Dobermans and wondered if anyone has purchased any of their dogs? Thanks for your help! :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT!

I don't have a dog of theirs and I've never heard of them but based on their website I see a few red flags.

1. They accept payment through paypal which generally means that they'll sell a puppy to the first person with cash.
2. They say that they are breeding for health but say nothing about health testing. At least, I didn't see anything. This doesn't mean that they don't do it, however. You should ask.
-----This breed is riddled with health issues so it's almost criminal to not be health testing dogs that are being bred.
3. It doesn't seem like they do anything with their dogs other than breed them.
4. Their dogs aren't particularly well bit and a dog that isn't built well cannot preform up to standard. Also, it can lead to structure-related issues later in life.

I understand wanting just a companion (and not a show or breeding dog) but you can get wonderful pet dogs from show breeders. The difference with show breeders as opposed to BYB's (what I suspect this breeder is) is that they care enough about the breed to try to improve it. They do this by fully health testing all of their breeding dogs, testing them in temperament, and titling them to prove that they are built to standard and able to work.

Also, I don't know if you're new to dobermans but "working" lines tend to be more drivey and intense and can be a lot for a first time owner.

Edit: Read this thread about reputable breeders.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I found an ad where he claims one of his males is from a Championship German line!
That's something that many breeders can say. What happens it that they'll import a dog from oversees who may already have a title on them or the dog's sire and or dam do... or maybe a grand parent. You can have a really nice dog in a pedigree but that really could mean nothing if it's far enough back. You want to look for a breeder that has titles (champions) on the sire and dam and even further back. For example, in my boy's 5 generation pedigree there are maybe three dogs that don't have a conformation championship but one of those dogs is titled in schutzhund and obedience.

This means that the breeders are taking the time to prove their dogs instead of just breeding them for money. It also means that the dogs are capable of working and are built to standard (dogs with bad structure can have related health issues as they age). The structure in lines can go bad in just a few generations. If you take a dog from great parents that has some sort of defect structurally and breed it to a similar dog then you're likely to get badly built puppies. Do it again with one of the puppies and the offspring (now a grandchild) will be even worse and that's just in three generations.

Edit: I'm sleepy and making spelling errors so I hope my post makes sense.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Sadly there are many BYB's in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Personally I would pass on this breeder and contact one or all of the following: (all have websites - just google)

Gorrmae Dobermans
Lyndobe Dobermans
Mi-Ti Dobermans

Be sure to do your research. Dobermans are not a terribly health breed, thus to help insure a good experience you want to purchase from a reputable breeder that thoroughly tests their breeding stock (and this doesn't mean a visit to the vet).

You will find loads of information here on DT and on the DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America) website, as well.

Welcome to DT and please, don't hesitate to ask questions!

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
This is another example of people not understanding what they are reading and the people who wrote it have no clue either. The doberman was always bred to be alert, energetic BLAH BLAH BLAH both here and Euro - IT IS IN THE STANDARD. It is not something different that happened. Since when did breeding for cold climates become an important part of meeting the standard??? Does this mean the dogs live outside???

They support CKC that's continental Kennel Club that will reg anything with a picture which means all their dogs might be AKC reg because no one in their right mind would want CKC reg unless it is Canadian Kennel Club like AKC here.

What do you pay for in a puppy - AKC reg - Titling of their own dogs, health testing, knowledge of the breeder - if they have never shown or work a dog they really can't help you if they get into trouble and need guidance and help. The breeder should be a great resource for all issues.

The first pictures of adult dogs are Fedor and Baron Nike Renewal - Both are dead and were never their dogs - Did they get permission to use those photos??? Why don't they tell you they are not their dogs - because they want you to think they are. Then when you get down to their dogs poor ear crops, ears don't eve stand - to me that does not show care, concern, love or devotion to the breed as they can't even present their own dogs in a good light. These are all BIG red flags if you care about quality in your puppy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think Mi-Cher, Cheryl Hassett may have a puppy or two available and I have another friend Brenda who has an older dog available and a puppy available. If you want to PM me I can give you both Cheyl and Brenda's information.

Reactions: ShelianDobe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great lakes Doberman

My family bought our Doberman there, lured by the price. $600 for a CKC pure bred was too good for my husband to pass up. I knew there was a problem when they didn't mention anything about his ears at all, and let us have him at 7 weeks.
Now, don't get me wrong, Ranger is a very heathy, loving dog! He's 14 months now, 100lbs, and seems to be still growing. Everyone is amazed at how beautiful and friendly he is. He's definitely a lover, not a fighter.
I'm simply concerned that they didn't follow what the industry has determined are "best practices". If you haven't made a purchase yet and would like to meet Ranger, I'm sure we can work something out. This really isn't a decision to make quickly or lightly - I kind of wish my husband had taken it more seriously.
Oh, and if you're looking for a good trainer, I highly recommend John Moyses.
I wish you & your family the best of luck... Dobermans are great dogs, do it right & you won't regret it!

Sincerely,

Dana

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Good luck with your research and search for just the right dog/pup.

If you get the chance, please check out a few rescue Doberman in your area.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
My family bought our Doberman there, lured by the price. $600 for a CKC pure bred was too good for my husband to pass up. I knew there was a problem when they didn't mention anything about his ears at all, and let us have him at 7 weeks.
Now, don't get me wrong, Ranger is a very heathy, loving dog! He's 14 months now, 100lbs, and seems to be still growing. Everyone is amazed at how beautiful and friendly he is. He's definitely a lover, not a fighter.
I'm simply concerned that they didn't follow what the industry has determined are "best practices". If you haven't made a purchase yet and would like to meet Ranger, I'm sure we can work something out. This really isn't a decision to make quickly or lightly - I kind of wish my husband had taken it more seriously.
I wish you & your family the best of luck... Dobermans are great dogs, do it right & you won't regret it!

Sincerely,

Dana
Welcome to DT.

I see you're now beginning to realize there are better ways of going about this, and it seems it's still early days for you guys, with no big issues even cropping up, yet.

I sure hope Ranger (sounds like a sweet boy) beats the odds and doesn't end up with serious health issues--we've lost far too many Dobermans at far too young ages.

Btw, be sure to keep him lean and very exercised, as the larger Dobermans (out of standard) can have a tendency to joint issues, mobility issues, and arthritis. Good nutrition and supplements may also help--talk to your vet about practicing preventative medicine on that.

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
10 Posts

Dana
I met you about two weeks ago on the board walk in the town I live in when I was walking my dobe, Lucy. What a small world! Ranger seemed sweet, but you told me about his carpet chewing and his chewing issue in general. He seems very big, even for a male dobe. I told my boyfriend as soon as I got home, "We met another dobie! His head was friggen HUGE!" haha

I'm glad I have read this thread on Great Lakes Doberman because I have been browsing around for maybe a male companion for my girl Lucy and my family!

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Just a thought. If for whatever reason a well bred-both parents health tested-have longevity puppy-in-the-background isn't readily available from any of those recommended breeders either wait until they have one or cut to the chase and rescue if you think there's any chance you might get impatient & hook up w/a byb....because a lot of byb puppies end up in rescue anyway.

Good luck.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Okay, I was going to keep it anonymous but, I just can't let this guy continue with his practices. This man is the WORST doberman breeder I have ever met. Many of you who know me on this forum know about the females that I rescued from a bad breeder, well this was the guy. His dogs are in TERRIBLE condition, he wont let customers see the dogs or his kennels, he just brings out a puppy and says, "here."

When I bought some of his "breeding stock" I made the trip to Detroit, I was horrified at the condition of these dogs. I bought as many as I could from him just to get them away from him. So far all have found good homes except for Dazzle, she was in the worst shape of all of them. She had been beaten, there was fresh marks on her side that look like they came from a boot, she was mal-nourished, and pregnant. On top of that her coat was almost completely gone and we found out later that she has heartworms.

RUN FROM THIS BREEDER AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Okay, I was going to keep it anonymous but, I just can't let this guy continue with his practices. This man is the WORST doberman breeder I have ever met. Many of you who know me on this forum know about the females that I rescued from a bad breeder, well this was the guy. His dogs are in TERRIBLE condition, he wont let customers see the dogs or his kennels, he just brings out a puppy and says, "here."

When I bought some of his "breeding stock" I made the trip to Detroit, I was horrified at the condition of these dogs. I bought as many as I could from him just to get them away from him. So far all have found good homes except for Dazzle, she was in the worst shape of all of them. She had been beaten, there was fresh marks on her side that look like they came from a boot, she was mal-nourished, and pregnant. On top of that her coat was almost completely gone and we found out later that she has heartworms.

RUN FROM THIS BREEDER AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd say that this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, considering your own breeding practices. However, if truly did physically abuse his dogs, and you don't, I will give you a point in your favor, but only for not beating your dogs, not because you are a better breeder.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I'd say that this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, considering your own breeding practices. However, if truly did physically abuse his dogs, and you don't, I will give you a point in your favor, but only for not beating your dogs, not because you are a better breeder.
Rosemary, you seem to be to caught up in bashing me to worry about a REAL BAD BREEDER. This guy should not even be allowed AROUND a dog let alone breed one. Think of what you want about me but, when it comes to helping somebody who may be about to buy one of these dogs you should put your PETTY differences aside and do whats right.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Rosemary, you seem to be to caught up in bashing me to worry about a REAL BAD BREEDER. This guy should not even be allowed AROUND a dog let alone breed one. Think of what you want about me but, when it comes to helping somebody who may be about to buy one of these dogs you should put your PETTY differences aside and do whats right.
This thread is from February. If the OP was going to buy a dog from this breeder he's probably done so already. Dunno what the guy is doing now, he hasn't posted in a long while.

What do you think about people who allow obviously beaten, malnourished, and unhealthy dogs (who they know practically nothing about) to go through a pregnancy and birth puppies? It's not like that's an easy process.

Still, I do appreciate your post. If what you say is true than I agree that this guy is a scum breeder. Nobody who abuses dogs should be allowed to be near them. I posted earlier in this thread also about other reasons why this guy would not be considered reputable in my mind.

Still, lets not forget that the general opinion of the knowledgeable doberman people on this forum (aka not Joe Schmo who saw a good looking doberman and now wants one but has done very little to no research) is that you should also not be allowed to breed dogs. That opinion and your past actions is going to sway people, especially people who truly love the breed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts