Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
mustlovedobes
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the site and I am starting out my search for a puppy hear in michigan! I was wondering if anyone had heard of Hartland dobermans from the flint area and if they are a reputable breeder. I noticed that they are on the DPCA referral page. Any other reccomendations would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advanced for any information!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
wouldnt touch that breeder with a twenty foot pole.

Here are some REPUTABLE breeders who breed to better the breed and care deeply about their dogs.

Shelian Dobermans (my next pup will be from here more than likely!)
Melrae Dobermans
Gorrmae Dobermans
Lyndobes

This should be a good starting point for you! Please feel free to ask questions about any of the above. Of course vet each breeder yourself in regards to heath testing and lineage.

(I copied and pasted this from another thread that asked for breeders in MI, as I'm in MI!)

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I would avoid Hartland, most of us here in MI know them as one of our state's BYB breeders. The price pretty much tells you all you need to know, since quality puppies, from well bred, titled, health tested parents, cropped/docked & guaranteed, average about $2k in this area.

Years ago, they did show a couple of their dogs, but I don't think
since 2002 or so, and don't think they ever got beyond a few local shows. Only 1 of their dogs ever appeared in the OFA database and that was in 1997.

No health testing, they don't crop ears. If they skimp on those things, I would worry about what else they aren't doingl. Pedigrees are typical BYB (dogs you never heard of with a known kennel name here and there).

There are a number of good breeders, here in MI and looks like that list has been provided in a previous post.

Best of Luck with your search.

·
mustlovedobes
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for all the information! The price was definitely what made me skeptical. I will keep looking for sure. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My former neighbors are Bolero Dobes. If I was closer, I'd get one from them (they pointed me to the DPCA to find a breeder in our area). Their dogs are raised as household pets and they strive to improve the breed. I know they are planning a litter in the spring and the grandma of the bitch being bred is 14 1/2! (I remember her as a puppy). Gorgeous dogs!

ETA: They are in Hartland, so right in the area you are looking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know I'm chiming in late, but my boy is from Hartland Dobermans and I would highly recommend Hartland Dobermans. I studied this forum extensively before we purchased our puppy from Russell and Nan. I will tell you their stud dog is a Pamelot dog, which is a breeder that Doberman talk recommends. Feel free to PM me if anyone would like more information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts