Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not good news and I'm VERY glad that we are seeing the new cardiologist on Tuesday. In the mean time Harper is feeling very good and is his usual wild, silly self and has been enjoying playing in the fresh snow we are getting.

HARPER was monitored for a total of 23:59 hours. The total time analyzed was 17:10 hours. Start time was 4:30PM1. There were a total of 63257 beats.
The Mean Heart Rate was 77.
The Maximum Heart Rate was 144 at 1:41:41AM2.
The Minimum Heart Rate was 49 at 12:37:06AM2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ventricular Ectopy
Supraventricular Ectopy​
Total: 2701
Total: 0​
Single: 2630
Single: 0​
Pairs: 30
Pairs: 0​
Total Runs: 1
Total Runs: 0​
Beats in Runs: 11
Beats in Runs: 0​
#beats @rate
#beats @rate​
Longest Run: 11 @ 12:42AM2 300
Longest Run: 0 @ 0:00PM1 0​
Fastest Run: 11 @ 12:42AM2 300
Fastest Run: 0 @ 0:00PM1 0​
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pauses: Total: 0 ( Greater than 5.0 sec.)
COMMENTS:
VPB SUMMARY: 2630 singles, 30 pairs, 1 run.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to say that it was very interesting looking at the report. Harper's lowest heart rate was 49 and that was at 12:37am. Just 5 minutes later he had an 11 beat run of VTAC, and a majority of the VPC's were between 5am and 10am.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Make sure you take the report to the cardio doc.

We'll be sending good vibes to Harper!

I have to say that it was very interesting looking at the report. Harper's lowest heart rate was 49 and that was at 12:37am. Just 5 minutes later he had an 11 beat run of VTAC, and a majority of the VPC's were between 5am and 10am.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
So sorry it wasn't better news

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you take the report to the cardio doc.

We'll be sending good vibes to Harper!
I already forwarded it to her via email so hopefully she will have time to review it before our appointment. She's already seen his echo report and bloodwork report from 3 weeks ago, and now she'll have the Holter report.

Thanks for the good vibes♥

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Niz sends good vibes for Harper and some dobergas. Dobergas is always magic. I just LOVE your avatar. That is such an awesome shot!!

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,602 Posts
Hoping the cardiologist visit goes well for Harper.

Reactions: Harpdog01

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sorry the results were not better for Harper. So glad you changed to another cardiologist. Please keep us updated on how Harper does.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
So sorry to hear about these results. Hopefully you'll soon have a plan of action with the cardiologist. Thankfully you've done these tests and at least you know so can work on fighting it as much as you can.
xoxoxo

Now I'm going to ask the clueless questions:

Is the 2630 the number of PVCs?
Which part indicates the VTAC? Or is that indicated elsewhere on your results?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Is the 2630 the number of PVCs?
Which part indicates the VTAC? Or is that indicated elsewhere on your results?
2630 is the number of single vpcs.

If you look at the report, it states there were 2701 vpcs in totat. That's made up from the 2630 single vpcs, 30 pairs (60 total vpcs) and the run of 11vpcs that constitutes vtach.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Is any run considered Vtach, or is it a run over a certain number?

I was discussing some of this with Phillip, my husband, who is a nurse. He said that overall in humans, PVCs aren't considered a big deal or something to be overly worried about. He was a bit unsure of what the clinical significance is in Dobermans - I told him that I thought it was the combination of the arrythmias plus the echo results that gave a stronger clinical presentation of DCM vs occult (vs normal). Is that accurate?

Edit: sorry to hijack, Lisa!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I was discussing some of this with Phillip, my husband, who is a nurse. He said that overall in humans, PVCs aren't considered a big deal or something to be overly worried about. He was a bit unsure of what the clinical significance is in Dobermans - I told him that I thought it was the combination of the arrythmias plus the echo results that gave a stronger clinical presentation of DCM vs occult (vs normal). Is that accurate?

Hijack away! Any discussion on DCM is a good one and I'm definitely interested in any information the great folks on this site have to share.

Harper says that even though he looks bad on paper, he feels pretty darn good and life is GREAT. But he wishes it would warm up a little so he could stay outside longer and play in the snow.

Reactions: bean

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
From my readings from Guelph:

24-hour Holter reveals:

At this time we are uncertain as to the threshold of the frequency of PVCs that indicates dogs in the occult stage of DCM. Our present work with the Holter Project at the University of Guelph will shortly establish the thresholds indicating dogs affected with occult DCM. As of today, we believe a level of > 50 PVCs /hour indicates Dobermans affected with occult DCM.

source: General Information About Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Doberman Pinschers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I'd share a few pics of Harps taken last October...I haven't shared any of him here, and unfortunately I haven't gotten the camera out much this winter, so these are the most current ones I have besides the the crappy ones taken with the iPod.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Handsome guy!

Ok, those are the numbers my cardio had listed on their paperwork. So essentially it's more pertinent to diagnosis of DCM in Dobermans - even though it may not be a big deal in humans. ;)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts

I *think* anything over three consecutive vpcs (called a triple) is considered v tach.

Obviously a combination of echo results and vpcs is indicative of DCM, but abnormal echo results or cardiac rhythm on their own can also be indicative as well.

Doubles, triples and v tach are more serious than singles, more suggestive of high risk for sudden death.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts