Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back there was a post about where to get a good fitting harness with a link to the product. I have seen a couple of them in stores, some not so good. One guy I saw at the vet years ago had one on his Pitt and the dog was pulling and it ripped through him around his underarms. Scared the heck out of me. But someone here posted a good harness they used that looked really good. Or any suggestions on what they use that works well. Thanks all.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I don't remember that post but here is a link. ldsleather.com They have really nice leather and there harnesses are custom made. Although I no nothing about harnesses they look like good quality. I have to warn you though I ordered collars from them back in Feb. and I am still waiting lol. They are all made by hand but I'm beginning to think they must not have any hands. Or that they had to raise the cow themselves lol

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
youve been waiting 5 months for collars? i find that completely unacceptable!

i ordered from them 1.5 almost 2 years ago, and i called to get my order done in 4 weeks - that was calling and pushing the orders multiple times.

i love their products, but i dont think i will ever use them again, because there is no reason to have that long of a delay. they should stop taking orders if they cannot handle the amount they have, because its not fair to wait half a year for your products.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
drown021 said:
My wife bought the Gentle Leader leash and it works excellent.Our Dobe is 7 months old and he does not pull with this on.I was skeptical when she bought it,but it made a believer out of me.The dog is a pleasure to walk now. http://www.cooldogtoys.com/dogobedienceharne.php
As prone as dobermans are to cervical problems, I'd be really hesitant about using a head halter device on them.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you're looking for a strong, durable good quality dog harness, I would look at the sites catering to the sporting dogs. You know these products are made to be used and should be of sturdier quality.

This place sells some beautiful ones, leather and non-leather: www.fordogtrainers.com and some of their products are made specifically with dobermans in mind. They also have a very good variety of harnesses (with differnt amount of padding, tabs, etc) depending on what exactly you want to use it for.

·
Registered
474 Posts
drown021 said:
My wife bought the Gentle Leader leash and it works excellent.Our Dobe is 7 months old and he does not pull with this on.I was skeptical when she bought it,but it made a believer out of me.The dog is a pleasure to walk now. http://www.cooldogtoys.com/dogobedienceharne.php
I personally HATE when I see dogs with these because I have witnessed many dogs slip out of these by backing up. My dog Snips was attacked on a walk by an American Bulldog who managed to slip out of it's gentle leader by backing out of it. I suppose if you had your dog secured in by the collar as well it might work, but I am not a fan of them.

http://www.vonschlottke.com

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
gazoo02 said:
I personally HATE when I see dogs with these because I have witnessed many dogs slip out of these by backing up. My dog Snips was attacked on a walk by an American Bulldog who managed to slip out of it's gentle leader by backing out of it. I suppose if you had your dog secured in by the collar as well it might work, but I am not a fan of them.

I used a gentle leader with great success on my Pit but she was very good at slipping out of it. I always had to have the leash attached to both the leader and a slip collar.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
doberkim, I just saw your post. I have phoned them a couple of times, the last time the guy was just plain rude. Actually tomorrow I am going to call and cancel..if I can. I told the guy they should either hire more people are don't take the orders. To bad because their leather and products looks beautiful.

·
Registered
880 Posts
gazoo02 said:

Yeah I don't like them either. They do have a purpose, but too many lazy @ss people buy them as a long term dog walking solution instead of just training their dog not to pull. Not to mention they don't fit properly on many dogs. They often rub into the dog's eyes, some times causing eye infections. I've seen dogs with fur worn off their face where the halti rubs. I certainly would HATE having some contraption strapped all over my face, I don't get where some people get off calling this a humane training tool. Dogs who pull or yank, or are yanked by their owners, especially when done on a regular basis, are putting ridiculous stresses on their necks. I don't even want to immagine what happens to those poor vertibreas.

Like I said, they have their use and their place and they can be an amazing training tool when used correctly. I see far too many people looking to a halti as some magic problem solving pill. Not to mention they use them inhumanely all in the name of humane dog training methods. :emo8:

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
okie - im sorry that it went down like that. i wish it WERE different - because i would love to order another leash from them. but like i said, waiting that long is just ridiculous. if you cant handle the orders, then ia gree - stop taking them for a little bit, or get some help.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zucker said:
This place sells some beautiful ones, leather and non-leather: www.fordogtrainers.com and some of their products are made specifically with dobermans in mind. They also have a very good variety of harnesses (with differnt amount of padding, tabs, etc) depending on what exactly you want to use it for.
Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for. Since Alex won't be able to ever use a collar and leash again I want something that is going to be comfortable. I doubt he will be pulling me when he starts walking again. He is making a little progress now and I am taking him for acupuncture treatments this week. Just a note to everyone out there about using choke collars or even prong collars please please be careful. I don't really know what caused the herniated disk. From what the vet mentioned it is not Wobblers but looking back it could have been the choke I used on him as a pup or it could have been the extra calcium the vet said to give him for his ears after being cropped. Even though I fed him large breed puppy food I still feel guilty that this happened to him. I guess it would be slightly easier if he had an accident I could blame this on. Today is 3 weeks since the operation and he can stand with help but still not walk yet. He crawls to the door when I ask him if he wants to go out. I just need to stay positive as rehab is a long process.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
doberkim said:
okie - im sorry that it went down like that. i wish it WERE different - because i would love to order another leash from them. but like i said, waiting that long is just ridiculous. if you cant handle the orders, then ia gree - stop taking them for a little bit, or get some help.
Well I sent them an email this morning and cancelled the order. They said I placed the order in March. (not so) They also said the reason why the order was not started was because I cancelled the order in April, I find that pretty funny. I could never get through to them...just an excuse on their part.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
gazoo02 said:

Never thought of him slipping out,He walks like a dream with it.
I still go back and forth btwn this and a regular collar.He does like to pull with a collar though.Our whole walk consists of going a few feet,me stopping until he quits pulling,repeat x5 and then he is ok.
Anyways,he's never tried to slip out of it or anything,but I will check that out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ive used alot of harness for trinity.

This 1 i didnt like it rubbed trinity raw where the clothe part was:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...=1154583549610&itemNo=4&In=Dog&N=2032961&Ne=2

The harness i use now i cant find on a website but the dog steps into is and it buckles on there back and on each side of the buckle are to large loops you clip the leash to its really strong too. If anyone knows what im talking about and can find a pic that would help. LOL

·
Registered
880 Posts
Prettydobie said:
Ive used alot of harness for trinity.

This 1 i didnt like it rubbed trinity raw where the clothe part was:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...=1154583549610&itemNo=4&In=Dog&N=2032961&Ne=2

The harness i use now i cant find on a website but the dog steps into is and it buckles on there back and on each side of the buckle are to large loops you clip the leash to its really strong too. If anyone knows what im talking about and can find a pic that would help. LOL

it sounds like you're describing one of the harnesses that can be adapted to works as a seat belt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts