Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like "happy tail"...

Does anyone else with natural eared Dobes notice this? The tips of Torque's ears are kinda scabby (not like big bloody scabs, but bumpy) and hair is missing in little spots. The one ear where he got the tip bit off will get open wounds on it sometimes, but I'm sure that is because the skin is weaker where the scar is. I'm sure this is from him running around and his big Dorque ears hitting him in the head. Its not a huge deal, I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their natural ears. Any suggestions on anything I can do to help? What do people do with dogs with "happy tail" sores other than wrap them? Anything?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I avoid it by cropping and docking. The Doberman ear and tail does not have the padding from undercoat and long hair that some breeds have which makes both the ears and tail more susceptible to injury.

As they get older and flapping of the ear continues they can start to develop hemotomas which my vet says is very painful and usually results in part of the ear having to be removed. Same with the "happy Tail" problem it can eventually lead to having to have the tail amputated.

For all those who claim no medical reason to crop/dock might want to take a look at what has been happening in Sweden since they implemented the ban.

My cropped and docked Dobes don't have these issues!!!!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Eli is natural eared and we do not have any issues. I had a GSD once who had to wear this special horse fly ointment on her ears because of biting flies. Could he have been bitten by flies? If he has bumps or sores at the end of his ears I would take him to the vet.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Just have to say I liked a cropped/docked dobe but this post is not only not helpful it is not true. Take a look at hounds, vislas's, weim's. I had a Weim many, many years ago and her ears were very much like my natural dobermans ears. Any dog with hanging ears can be susceptible to ear hematomas, I don't think we need to be docking the ears of most of the hunting breeds to avoid this. I knew a lab that had ear hematomas because he had an chronic ear infections and shook his head thus his ears a lot. Great Danes, Dals etc. can have happy tail problems but we don't dock them. I'm just saying cropping and docking has it's own problems including pain at the end of the dock site. Again I like cropped and docked dobermans, I also had several aussies another docked breed but I don't agree with your statements here at all.

I avoid it by cropping and docking. The Doberman ear and tail does not have the padding from undercoat and long hair that some breeds have which makes both the ears and tail more susceptible to injury.

As they get older and flapping of the ear continues they can start to develop hemotomas which my vet says is very painful and usually results in part of the ear having to be removed. Same with the "happy Tail" problem it can eventually lead to having to have the tail amputated.

For all those who claim no medical reason to crop/dock might want to take a look at what has been happening in Sweden since they implemented the ban.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
He could be developing an ear infection? Try cleaning his ears (inside) more often and see if it helps? Hopefully nothing serious!

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ive met hundreds of natural eared dobes and I have never heard/seen of this issue of them getting sore ears from flapping about when running ect.

Do you have any pics? Sounds like its a different problem.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts

Ohhh come on!!! I am in favour of cropping and docking, but it just simply IS cosmetic! My coonhound has natural ears, they do not have a lot of coat on them to "pad" them, I can't think of any shor haired natural eared dog who has "padded" with fur ears. He has never in 13yrs had an aural hematoma! I do know of a cropped dog who got one though! To say that cropping and docking prevents this is silly. Happy tail, yes ok I can agree with docking would prevent that, but ear cropping is cosmetic. I second what darkevs said- ask your vet, coyld be bites of some kind.

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts

Thirty years ago, I had an ACD mix with very small, naturally erect ears. To this day, I have no idea how she managed to BREAK the cartilage in her left ear. She also used to also get sores, similar to what the OP described, during the summer, when the fleas, ticks and flies were bad, right along with my other dogs.

Reactions: the_discowhore

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Like "happy tail"...

Does anyone else with natural eared Dobes notice this? The tips of Torque's ears are kinda scabby (not like big bloody scabs, but bumpy) and hair is missing in little spots. The one ear where he got the tip bit off will get open wounds on it sometimes, but I'm sure that is because the skin is weaker where the scar is. I'm sure this is from him running around and his big Dorque ears hitting him in the head. Its not a huge deal, I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their natural ears. Any suggestions on anything I can do to help? What do people do with dogs with "happy tail" sores other than wrap them? Anything?
The only times I have seen scabby ears like what you describe have been from allergies and fly bites. Don't know of any floppy ear breed getting scabby ears because their ears are floppy....

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Registered
975 Posts

Well not sure what you are referring to happening in Sweden. I would like to know and if it is a study please refer to it so I can ask my breeder friends there about it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I didn't mean to turn this into a crop/dock debate...

I didn't even think about flies. I'm not sure that is what it is, he is never still enough for them to get on him. haha! And for the ear infection theory, I do clean his ears regularly. Though, he has been itching his ears lately (I cleaned them on Monday and last week Wednesday, I think). The scabby things could be from him scratching maybe. I did let his nails get a little long because he ripped one of them off and I hadn't been shaving them because I didn't want to hurt his foot. (my dog is kind of a disaster... haha) But it is on both sides of his ears and actually more on the underside.

Here are some pictures, its hard to see in them and he was not amused as he was napping and I started moving his ears around. You can kinda see where the hair is thinner and the little white scabby thingys. Right now the full ear is worse than the partial.

The outside of the full ear

The underside of the full ear

Side of the full ear

Outside of the partial ear

Underside of partial ear

End of partial ear

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
My first doberboy Eddie had something very similar. It affected the very tips of his ears on the underside only & felt slightly rough to the touch.It was only a very small area though & it never bothered him nor did it go scabby or bleed at all.

By the way, Torque is a very handsome boy, I love the natural ears(even if they are a bit rough around the edges :D ) He reminds me so much of my boy Eddie.

·
Registered
974 Posts
How about mites? I think that's the only thing we ever had on odin's ears as a puppy and his skin went rough and scaley until we cleared up the infection! Never had an issue since! I would take a trip to the vet though to get it checked up!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I'd take him in to the vet for a look-see.

Is he scratching his body overall or is it mostly his ears? Not sure about your area but ours is horrible right now for seasonal allergies. Does he have thinning hair anywhere else? I think that ear hair thinning is a sign of hypothyroidism as well. Not sure about the bumps, I don't think that goes with it as much but am not sure.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He has thinning hair on his neck/chest area where his Invisible fence collar rubs and on his back legs from laying on the concrete barn aisle. That's it. He's on antibiotics now for the aforementioned missing toe nail. I took him to the vet for that before the nail came all the way off and his whole toe was swollen. The poor kid. But anyways, I don't think it would be an infection since he's on antibiotics at the moment and the ears haven't changed. He is only itchy on his ears. He has had the scaly stuff for longer than he's been itchy though. I think I am going to try to put a bit of the ointment we have for the horses to keep "summer irritants" away on his ears and see if that helps. It clears up the horses in a couple days from like the biting gnats and such that get all over them. He hasn't even been out with me for a hack on the horses in a couple weeks because of his toe. I swear, I have the worst luck with my animals getting sick/hurt/something... This is why I wanted to become a vet tech. Haha

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, thanks Jobey! I tell myself that it gives him character and makes him look tougher. Because really he's about the nicest dog ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts