Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had our Halloween party tonight at Dog class!!! After the group photos everyone took the costumes off...but I actually got pictures to share!

In this one below the trainer is distracting them with this skeleton that laughs and lights up...

I love all the dogs in the class! they are all so great! Seeing them all work together really makes you laugh about the breed stereotypes :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow that rottie in the first pic look totally possessed!!! Great pics LD, thanks for sharing with us! Everybody looks like they must have a great time there!! That third one done is great, rotts, a pit, and a dobe, enough to send most two leggers running for cover :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Duchess was kinda hard to see in the first group picture...I just put her in a stand stay and I took a picture of the group...she is such a good girl...you can tell she is just staying as still as can be even though everyone around her is still getting situated...and talking to their dogs lol.
she wore her horse costume since the class didnt see it last year. I was so upset I cant find her ladybug costume I made :( I wanted her to wear that:(

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is a gorgeous pit btw
actually i THINK it is an Amstaff....I still dont know the difference between a pitbull and an amstaff....maybe some of the people that show dogs know more about the differences...or I should look it up at AKC lol. in the last group picture you can see there is another amstaff...but brindle. They are all great dogs.
This is the same group that we did the recall ALL at the same time once. It was awesome to see all the dogs just running/trotting to their owners side by side :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol actually i just went to the AKC website...and I didn't see the pitbull or American Pit Bull as a breed...the American Staffordshire terrier was there...I wonder if "pit bull" is just a category...or general name...given to them...

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Great pics LD. Looks like they had a great a time. Duchess looks very cute in her costume.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pitbulls just aren't considered a breed by the AKC. Several other orginizations do recognize them though. I believe that American Staffordshire Terriers are slightly smaller and stockier than a pitbull. There may be a few other small differences, but half the people walking down the street will call an amstaff a pitbull and stay as far away as possible because of ignorance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great photos!

"Pit Bull" is a term used to describe several breeds of dogs with similar physical characteristics. The American Staffordshire Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier commonly fall under the category of "Pit Bull." There are some other breeds that often get called pit bulls as well like the American Bulldog and the Presa Canario. Here in Ontario there is a ban on "pit bulls" which specifically names the first three breeds plus "the pit bull terrier" which i don't believe is a recognized breed by either the CKC or AKC. It also bans "a member of a class of dogs that have an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to dogs referred to above"
There seems to be some confusion as to what a "pit bull" actually is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dobedad said:
Great photos!

"Pit Bull" is a term used to describe several breeds of dogs with similar physical characteristics. The American Staffordshire Terrier, the American Pit Bull Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier commonly fall under the category of "Pit Bull." There are some other breeds that often get called pit bulls as well like the American Bulldog and the Presa Canario. Here in Ontario there is a ban on "pit bulls" which specifically names the first three breeds plus "the pit bull terrier" which i don't believe is a recognized breed by either the CKC or AKC. It also bans "a member of a class of dogs that have an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to dogs referred to above"
There seems to be some confusion as to what a "pit bull" actually is.
Pitbull does not necessarily mean that.. When BSL is put into effect that bans pit bulls, it does not mean that there is a ban of Amstaffs or bulldogs. Similarly, there are bans on amstaffs but not pitbulls. There are also bans on pitbull looking dogs. It's fairly easy to look up BSL state by state. They are recognized by the UKC and the only difference between them and the others are size and color.

·
Registered
275 Posts
All I'm saying, is that "Pit Bull" is not a recognized breed in North America. The general public refers to many dogs as Pit Bulls.

My understanding is that American Pit Bull Terriers (as recognized by the UKC) are very similar to the American Staffordshire Terriers (AKC, CKC) and they can be dual registered.

I am not familiar with individual city bans of pit bulls in the states but if a ban says Pit Bull, I would expect that to encompass the American Pit Bull Terrier as well as the American Staffordshire Terrier.

* sorry to get off-topic Lapdog.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol its okay :) Our trainer is the person who recommended duchess's breeder that breeds the amstaffs...although I think she is stopping since there is so much drama going on with the bans and stuff...Im sure I could get a great deal of information from her if I asked....I wont see her for a couple weeks since that was the last class for now....but if the topic ever comes up I'll let ya guys know what she said...

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Really nice pictures LapDog, what level are you at again? I can't wait to get ******* into class, it look's like alot of fun!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we just do novice stuff...healing patterns...sit/down/stand and stay....recall...fronts...finishes...figure eights...our trainer is big on proofing...so we do some funny stuff :)
haha this isnt proofing...but for fun we did a dark recall haha. for halloween...
we would have half the lights on then leave our dog...then call them...then we would turn off the lights for about the time it should take them to get across the room to their owners...and then turn them back on to see where they ended up...if they didnt end up right on...they usually slowed down and dropped their heads once the lights turned off and then when they went back on they happily trotted to their owners lol.
when the lights came back on for duchess she must of just stopped in her tracks and so she was still half way away from me and looked lost...then finished the whole thing once the lights came back on. :)
again that isnt proofing...just something we did that was fun for the party lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts