Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just picked up a doberman puppy and after getting him home did a little research and saw that at 8 weeks it should weight 12 to 18 pounds and 13 to 16 inches tall. This dog is 8 weeks and weighs just over 5 pounds and 8 inches tall.
The parents are purebred and are large dogs. There apparently were two runts in the litter of 11 and they were adopted.
So curious if maybe he is stunted growth or maybe because there were 11 pups in the litter. So just curious if this is a normal occurrence and will he still grow full size just taking longer.
Thanks you for any input!!
Thanks

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,722 Posts
253, Welcome to DT from Texas! Thanks for the pics, he looks undersized, even for a runt, with many ribs showing for 8 weeks. As MB suggested, maybe younger? Should have more meat on their bones, looking slightly less plump at 8 weeks. I'm sure DT resident experts & breeders will chime in soon.

Our Neo was runt of a litter of 10 and was 16.8 lbs. when we brought him home at 10.7 weeks age. He still small at age 1.5 y/o at 66 lbs. However, another red puppy on DT, Hope, went from Neo's same size at 1.5 y/o to 85 lbs. at 2 y/o! Some Dobes fill out later than others, some stay small.

Neo's Litter at 5-Weeks

Dog Liver Working animal Carnivore Dog breed

Neo Green Runt -Compared to Purple Girl at 7.5 weeks
Brown Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver

Neo Lap Dog @ 7.5 Weeks Smoozing New Dad

Dog Dog breed Dog supply Carnivore Liver

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
That pup really does not look 8 weeks old to me. And it's not just the size. The features seem awfully diminutive for a healthy 8 week old pup. Take a look at the head and muzzle shape of spocksdad's, smaller than average Neo at only 7 1/2 weeks. Neo is obviously small, but his physical development is commensurate with his larger female littermate.

But then, I am no expert on puppy development. I would really like to hear what a member/breeder has to say.

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
51 Posts
That pup really does not look 8 weeks old to me. And it's not just the size. The features seem awfully diminutive for a healthy 8 week old pup. Take a look at the head and muzzle shape of spocksdad's, smaller than average Neo at only 7 1/2 weeks. Neo is obviously small, but his physical development is commensurate with his larger female littermate.

But then, I am no expert on puppy development. I would really like to hear what a member/breeder has to say.

John L
Portland OR
Agreed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the welcome and the feedback! I agree with all and I almost feel like he is younger because when I picked him up his belly was really big cause he just ait but he is not realling liking the puppy food that he supposedly had and hasn't got a belly like that since so I'm thinking he just got off the tit when I picked him up. Thanks again guys!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,560 Posts
Has he been to the vet? You should discuss his age with your vet and see if he thinks you should be feeding him a little differently. I'm not a young puppy expert at all; I hope someone else will chime in here.

You really should get him in to a vet to get a good checkup--he could tell you so much more than we can with just a picture on the internet.

·
Registered
965 Posts
My parents Doxie puppy was from a breeder who lied about the age. Said she was eight weeks, and she ended up only being six weeks and unweaned. We blended up food and fed her a slurry until she was eating solids. If you were given a birth date, calculate the age from it. They may have still lied about the birth date if they aren't a good breeder, but with ours she didn't lie about that (as far as we know) and we calculated it out to be six weeks. We never thought to do the math and assumed a breeder would care about the puppies, she seemed legit to us inexperienced people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Melbrod
Thank you for the input! I took him to the same vet as the breder as I said earlier and they confirmed 8weeks how, I don't know but that's why they did the cropping and shots and nail clipping so I am as bogled as you all are for sure.
Thanks all input is helpful!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,015 Posts
I'm assuming he came with an AKC registration application? If so, then it would have his birthdate on it. I agree that he looks younger than I'd expect of an 8 week old puppy.

My Spoo is from a litter of eleven, and while he was a bit on the smaller side when I picked him up. he was still in the typical size range for his age.

Reactions: MMcCown and melbrod

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok, so I went digging 😂. Our breeder constantly posted puppy picture updates on our group messenger thread and I found pics at various ages. To be honest, the facial features of your pup looks like Kona and her siblings between 4-5 weeks old, but I am definitely not an expert this is just by looking at comparison pictures. I will post a pic of Kona when we got her ( she came 48 hrs post crop ) and a picture of one of her siblings at 7 weeks and a cute picture of her in a siblings puppy pile at just past 5 weeks. These are just for comparison.
Dog Comfort Carnivore Textile Dog breed
Dog Carnivore Wood Flooring Dog breed
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout
Food Recipe Wood Ingredient Tableware

1 - 18 of 18 Posts