Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to rescue this puppy since the owners were very unfit to take care of their puppies or parents and started to give the puppies away. I picked her up and noticed she has substantial alopecia (hair loss) from what I presume to be mange. The question is, I’m not sure if the mange is demodex (not contagious and more common) or sarcoptic (very contagious) mange. I want to know which one she has since I have other dogs and don’t want her to pass it to them. It’s the weekend and the vet is not open and I want to know how to treat it. She walks around scratching so badly and crying because she is frustrated that she itches everywhere.

Attachments

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
Rules #1 of mange: Assume it's sarcoptic (and thus contagious) until proven otherwise. Especially if they are super itchy. My dogs with demodex didn't scratch nearly as much as my dog with sarcoptic mange, which my vet said was typical.

Does your vet have an after-hours phone number? If so, I would give them a call, and see what they recommend. I would be hesitant to use any OTC treatment on a case that bad.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
I think itchiness is usually sarcoptic--but as you know, skin scraping at the vet will give you a diagnosis for sure. I'd just assume it is sarcoptic, like Rosemary says above--you should be keeping her in quarantine until she can see a vet, no matter what is going on anyway. She may have other stuff she could pass on to your other dogs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor baby, I hope you can get her back to health soon. Best of luck and please keep us updated. What's her name and how old is she? We have an all natural Fawn doberman, his fur has had some minor challenges but it's fine now.
We have named her Mika and the people we rescued her from said she was already 5 months old yet she is probably half of what my red doberman girl was at 5 months. She’s extremely small probably weighing at less than 20 pounds or near there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think itchiness is usually sarcoptic--but as you know, skin scraping at the vet will give you a diagnosis for sure. I'd just assume it is sarcoptic, like Rosemary says above--you should be keeping her in quarantine until she can see a vet, no matter what is going on anyway. She may have other stuff she could pass on to your other dogs.
I keep her separate from my other dogs by keeping her in the kennel at most times but I wonder can the mites be transmitted through outside like in the grass? I have a backyard that I let them out to go to the restroom through and I am worried about even letting my other dogs out in the same grass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rules #1 of mange: Assume it's sarcoptic (and thus contagious) until proven otherwise. Especially if they are super itchy. My dogs with demodex didn't scratch nearly as much as my dog with sarcoptic mange, which my vet said was typical.

Does your vet have an after-hours phone number? If so, I would give them a call, and see what they recommend. I would be hesitant to use any OTC treatment on a case that bad.
I don’t have any vet’s personal number

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
I don’t have any vet’s personal number
I'm not talking about their personal phone number. A lot of vets will have their regular clinic phone forwarded to an answering service, who will contact the vet (or the on-call vet, if there is a group that rotates services) for after-hours care.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
Dogs can pick up mange in a contaminated environment, as well as various intestinal parasites.

I'd go out with her on a leash for right now so you can take her to a specific place to potty. The vet can probably tell you what precautions to follow, depending on what he finds.

Good luck! Thanks for taking her in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to rescue this puppy since the owners were very unfit to take care of their puppies or parents and started to give the puppies away. I picked her up and noticed she has substantial alopecia (hair loss) from what I presume to be mange. The question is, I’m not sure if the mange is demodex (not contagious and more common) or sarcoptic (very contagious) mange. I want to know which one she has since I have other dogs and don’t want her to pass it to them. It’s the weekend and the vet is not open and I want to know how to treat it. She walks around scratching so badly and crying because she is frustrated that she itches everywhere.
So I took her to the vet and they confirmed it was sarcoptic mange via skin scraping. They also said she had hookworms in her stool and are guessing she has other worms as well. They gave her medicine for all of it but she is still very itchy and cannot stop biting and scratching her skin. Anyone suggest any home remedies about her itching? I’ve heard good things about aloe Vera and calamine lotion.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
Ask your vet about a medicated shampoo. There are some that will help with itching, as well as help treat any secondary bacterial infections.

IDK what your vet prescribed for the mange, but Revolution is what finally kicked it for Leo.

·
Big Lil pup
6,730 Posts
Hi pd

Solarcaine makes a product that I have used with great success. While it is primarily for itching and pain from sunburns on humans, I have found it effective in relieving topical itching in my dogs. The product is called Solarcaine Cool Aloe. It contains simply aloe vera and Lidocaine, both of which are safe for topically applying on dogs. It comes in a gel or spray. The gel is more cost effective, but the spay is easy to use and less messy.

I buy it on Amazon, but it is available at many major pharmacies.

Here is the Amazon link:Amazon.com : Solarcaine Cool Aloe Burn Relief Spray with Lidocaine and Aloe Vera, Doctor Tested, Fragrance Free, Alcohol Free and Non-irritating, #1 Sunburn Relief Brand (6 Ounce Spray) : After Shaving Healing Products : Beauty

Hope this helps.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bless you for rescuing her. She already looks like she adores you. I'm in Southern CA and just spent almost an hour flagging backyard breeder ads on Craigslist. It just breaks my heart how fast some of these unscrupulous people are ruining our wonderful breed. Good luck with her healing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on Mika: She is doing and feeling so much better! The treatment is working and her skin is looking so much better. She has been so happy despite her condition and I took her on her first walk today. She was very timid so I motivated her with treats to ensure a happy experience and she ended up doing so well! She would even sit when I stopped the walk and never strayed or pulled on the leash. She has a bit of a problem with jumping on me but nothing that can’t be fixed with a little positive reinforcement training. Hopefully her hair will start to grow back soon so she will be looking and feeling healthy! First vaccination will be in three weeks. The vet didn’t want to put her through too much when we took her since she was getting medicine for a lot of other things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another update on Mika: We have hair growth! The close up is her before when we first got her. Barely any hair on her back and a LOT of flaking. The other is her now! Or about 5 days ago actually. She is doing so well and is so happy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts