Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some information.
I have a doberman, he is just under 4 months old. His name is Mac. We rescued him from a shelter when he was only about 5 weeks old. He was already motherless when we got him. I have no papers for him, and I did take him to the vet for blood tests to ensure he was ok, and he is, got his ears done and everything. But now I am noticing that his colour is changing. I thought he was a black dobe, so did the vet, but on his ears and up his neck and on his hind legs, the colour is changing?! The vet suggested I try different foods, said maybe he is really a "blue" dob? The colour is changing to the same colour as his markings. If an yone can give me any ideas, it would be appreaciated.
Unfortunatly, I can't put photos online because I don't have a camera that does that. But ANY help would be great.
When I had his ears done, I brought him the Staples in London Ontario, the vet said that he is definatly a pure doberman, but I've never heard of this, and I can't find anything on the internet.
Thanks for your help.

From Colleen and Mac

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
pictures would help very much

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Is she purebred or a mix? very likely a mix from a shelter... Or very likely a very poorly bred dog... To get to the shelter at 5 weeks old tells me this was either an accidental pregnancy, or a BYB that didn't sell so ditched it so he didn't have to spend any money on the pup.

Dakota's stomach is tan, (not the same as her rust marking) and the tan comes through on her upper legs a little bit, and her neck. It started coming through more as she got a little older.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
To get to the shelter at 5 weeks old tells me this was either an accidental pregnancy, or a BYB that didn't sell so ditched it so he didn't have to spend any money on the pup.
Very likely. Also, perhaps the dam died and the owner didn't know how (or didn't want) to hand-raise orphaned pups?

As for the change in color, it is possible that he is molting out his puppy fur and his adult coat is coming in. Also, due to the coming cold weather, it is possible that not only is his adult coat coming in, but also his winter coat. What you may be seeing is his woolly undercoat peeking through his adult coat.

I suspect your pup may not be purebred. He may be one of those alleged 3/4 Dobe x 1/4 GSD (or Rott) mixes some people intentionally breed. That kind of mix would produce a more pronounced undercoat. But without having examined your dog personally, this is pure conjecture on my part. As your pup matures, his conformation will become clearer and you'll be better able to determine whether he's purebred or mixed.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your pup!:wavey:

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Our dobe is a pure bred black and tan and in the light sometimes we will notice red patches in his fur. It can be sun bleaching if your pup spends a lot of time in the sunlight and will go away. Although in saying that, his mother was a red and it could be related to that as well. We love him and it makes him unique to us. It's not noticeable unless you really look closely at him in the sunlight. I wouldn't stress about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts