Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone i am in dying need of some advice
i have a 8months old rare blue doberman and he had very bad DANDRUFF and hair LOSS and sometimes scratches it when i brush him there are tones of hair that falls out and also hes whole back is white from DANDRUFF it does not seem to bug him when i brush as he just sits there or lays down:)
i have him on BLUE WILDERNESS PUPP food 100% grain free
and we bath him with NATURES MIRACLE, HYPO-ALLERGENIC , FRAGRANCE FREE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN SHAMPOO AND CONDITINOR.
PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT CAN BE THANK YOU EVERY MUCH

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
Blue dobermans are notorious for having skin and coat problems--that is why most reputable breeders do not purposely breed for this color type.

Take a look at this website Storm's Regimen to get some ideas about what things might help your pup keep as good a coat as he can.

And welcome (perhaps belatedly??) to DT!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hair loss and skin problems are common for blue dobes. I can tell you whatvmy blue boy does best on. I feed hm Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs and he gets 2400 mgs of fish oil and 200 IU of Vitamin E twice a day. I have a friend with a blue Doberman and she gives her 6 mgs of Melatonin twice a day. She feeds Solid Gold and also gives fish oil along with the Melatonin. I will say her girl has a gorgeous full coat and she is almost three years old. My boy's coat is thin but actually looks great for a blue. He is almost six years old.

·
Registered
444 Posts
As mentioned above, Blues and Fawns have many skin issues. I would recommend you see a dermatologist early on. My spicy red girl Lexie, began skin issues before a year old. I took her to a dermatologist and we did a biopsy. She has something called folicular dysplasia. She has medicated shampoo that I occasionally use. I used to give her melatonin, but honestly did not see any difference in her fur thickness. Fish oil is good supplement to give, or flax oil. Good luck. I am sure others will have some great ideas too.

Lisa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thank you everyone ! Is the food I have him on good for his coat? I also read on her that apple cider vinegar works as well any thoughts on that? With the fish oil should I go to a vet to get that or can I get it at a pet store?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also mention that when I pet him it feels like there are dumps on his skin but when I separate the fur and take I look I can't see anything :confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well thank you everyone ! Is the food I have him on good for his coat? I also read on her that apple cider vinegar works as well any thoughts on that? With the fish oil should I go to a vet to get that or can I get it at a pet store?

Get fish oil at walmart. Three pills = 1 gram of Omega 3. You can puncture the capsules and put on kibble. I just put the entire pill in Lexie's food and they are gone.

Lex had the "bumps" you feel. Go to a dermatologist. They can give you better advice on what to do.

Lisa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Edmonton and I am not sure where I would find a dermatologist for dogs

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Blue isn't a "rare" color, it's one that breeders do their best to purposefully avoid for this exact reason. Blues (and fawns) usually have very poor skin and coat condition as adults and the coat just continues to diminish over time.

It doesn't really matter if the food you are feeding is considered good or not as it just depends on each individual dog if they are going to do well on it. It seems as if your dog may do better on something else. I know a lot of people have success (at least as much success as you can have with a blue or fawn) with Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach with fish oil supplements. There is a lot of good information here if you use the search feature for your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I use fish oil for humans. Also I meant that my boy gets 1200 mgs twice a day. The way I first wrote it made it sound like he got 2400 mgs twice a day. Sorry about that. I would start out with one pill a day for a week or so and then go up. You may want to ask your vet how much you should give based on your dog's weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took classes on pet nutrition and I am a licensed Vet Tech. I too have a Blue Dobi and here is what I recommend:

The dandruff is caused by dry skin and corn in dog food is a BIG factor in that. I recommend feeding any dog food with no corn, wheat or soy. Grain free is better. Your blue may be allergic to something in his food and that can cause skin and coat problems. Also, I give my Blue cold pressed Flaxseed Oil that I buy at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks. I use that versus fish oil due to the smell. Flaxseed Oil is great for the heart too. It has Omega 6, 3 and 9. Give 3 tablets daily in a piece of cheese. As a shampoo I use Mega-Tek dog shampoo. It is a bit pricey but it works miracles. It will repair damaged pads, noses and will help regrow dog fur as well as human hair. I use it on myself too. It is Human grade stuff with tons of protein and nutrients for the skin and coat.

Also, Dogs need a variance in their diet. Anything you eat except grapes, raisins and chocolate; is good for your pet. If I'm eating an apple, I share with my dogs. Bananas are a great source of potassium for them too. Adding things to a diet will "fix" stool eating. Cottage cheese is also a great source of calcium and great for growing puppies as well as lactating dams.

If you have any questions, E-Mail me. I am more than happy to offer info to anyone...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also wanted to add that Purina is not a good food. It has a ton of corn and corn gluten meal. I would advise against anything that has corn gluten meal. I am not recommending any dog food in particular, just please go corn free. It's a filler used as an alternate protein source. No corn= less poop and better nutrient absorption.

Corn in foods causes hot spots, dandruff, rough coat and dry skin as well as more frequent ear infections in breeds such as Boxers, Dobermans, and Rottweilers.

Just a little bit more info...

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI everyone i am in dying need of some advice
i have a 8months old rare blue doberman and he had very bad DANDRUFF and hair LOSS and sometimes scratches it when i brush him there are tones of hair that falls out and also hes whole back is white from DANDRUFF it does not seem to bug him when i brush as he just sits there or lays down:)
i have him on BLUE WILDERNESS PUPP food 100% grain free
and we bath him with NATURES MIRACLE, HYPO-ALLERGENIC , FRAGRANCE FREE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN SHAMPOO AND CONDITINOR.
PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT CAN BE THANK YOU EVERY MUCH
My dog also suffers from same problem. She is only 11months. She breaks out in hives and hair loss. Vets cant tell me what it is for some reason.or how to cure it. We started giving her a supplement called nupro. U should try it out. U can only find it if you call. Check out the website nuprosupplement.com its been helping her out alot but she ate food that had grain in it and all hell broke loose with her. The supplement really works. I would say give it a try.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
For our Dobes every day we give them 2400 mg Fish Oil (start out with 1200mg a day for a week) or Krill Oil (Make sure on the bottles there is no Soy,Gluten,Wheat,Yeast in it. Also on bottles of any other Supplements) We use Natures Bounty Brand. Also we give them a couple times a week can of Sardines in Pure Olive Oil, every day 400 iu Vit E, Pure Virgin Olive Oil, Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Raw Egg.
You also can try giving a Probiotic in the food it will help put good bacteria and enzymes into his intestines or also some plain Greek Yogurt.
Also you can find a good Holistic Vet. He would know alot more about Supplements.
Did you have a full panel Thyroid Test done??
Swithch to a good Grain Free food with Fish or Chicken in it. Free of No Corn Wheat or Soy in it. Or try a Raw Diet
The site melbrod gave Storm's Regimen is a very good site.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
As Sofia gets ummmm... a little older I've noticed that her fur is getting a bit thinner. I've tried Omega 3 and recently a combination of 3 and 6 on her and each time, her sensitive stomach just will not tolerate it. We've done best on sardines three times a week, a scrambled egg in just a teeny pat of butter once in a while and Skin So Soft massaged into her skin. She has no bumps, or dandruff, she's just a little dry. Good luck with your Blue Boy and the suggestions on this forum are invaluable..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts