Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfred started retching/trying to throw up unsuccessfully about 5-10 minutes after eating dinner last night. He did this every 5 minutes for about 20 minutes, eventually threw up a bit of foam, and at that point I called the ER vet because I was worried about bloat. The ER vet said to bring him in, stat, and so I threw a sweatshirt over my PJs and off we went.

Long story short, x-rays and the full work-up showed nothing, so who knows. He probably just got some food down his wind pipe (that is actually what the vet thinks, or that he just had an upset tummy).

I would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to bloat and my Dober-kids though (the vet did say that the retching/noise he was making is exactly what you would see if he *were* struggling with bloat).

So that was my Wednesday night. But, while I was there I mentioned that the dogs seem much gassier on their new food (Merrick before grain - the buffalo flavor) and that I was worried this would put them at greater risk for bloat. She agreed and so I'm thinking about switching foods (again - argh).

Any suggestions? Also, has anyone done the stomach tacking procedure to prevent against bloat? I'm thinking about it ...

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
SCARY. Those were the exact symptoms my Dobe had when he bloated. The trying to throw up with no food coming up. He was also pacing, getting up, down, etc. but YES I agree just get to the vet.

Flirt had her stomach tacked when they did her 2nd obstruction surgery. Bret, the Dobe who bloated, hadh is tacked with his bloat surgery. The surgeon said although he could "bloat" that the odds were much reduced and he couldn't torsion which is the dangerous part.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I've had the same experience with several Merrick products, matter of fact.

It *reads* like a good, decent food, but my guys just don't do awesome on it. I end up seeing increased gassiness and not-stellar-stool.

So sorry you had a scare, but hurrah that it turned out okay.

I'd likely do a gastropexy on my remaining Dobergirl, but we'd have to travel out of state to find someone qualified to do it, and that seems a bit risky in and of itself, for a prophylactic procedure.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Glad Alfred is OK.

never dealt with this in my dogs, but a deerhound i knew bloated and since it was an issue in his 'line', he did have his stomach tacked too. his dogs seemed to have a lot of digestive issues, very sensitive to any changes in their diets. I do not remember if any were tacked as a preventative to bloating though.

Hugz to your furkids!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCARY. Those were the exact symptoms my Dobe had when he bloated. The trying to throw up with no food coming up. He was also pacing, getting up, down, etc. but YES I agree just get to the vet.

Flirt had her stomach tacked when they did her 2nd obstruction surgery. Bret, the Dobe who bloated, hadh is tacked with his bloat surgery. The surgeon said although he could "bloat" that the odds were much reduced and he couldn't torsion which is the dangerous part.
Yeah, it seemed like a pretty classic presentation, and it was continuing so regularly - literally on the 5 minutes - plus, it was getting close to bed-time and I just wasn't comfortable with him sleeping on it through the night. Just in case.

I've had the same experience with several Merrick products, matter of fact.

It *reads* like a good, decent food, but my guys just don't do awesome on it. I end up seeing increased gassiness and not-stellar-stool.

So sorry you had a scare, but hurrah that it turned out okay.

I'd likely do a gastropexy on my remaining Dobergirl, but we'd have to travel out of state to find someone qualified to do it, and that seems a bit risky in and of itself, for a prophylactic procedure.
It is supposed to be! It's rated highly on the dog food website ... but yeah, we had about 10 days - 2 weeks of on and off explosive diarrhea from both kids, which only resolved when I (a) fed them massive amounts of pumpkin for a week, and then (b) reduced the amount of Merrick and added back in some of the Purina One they'd always been fine on.

I picked Merrick because it was supposed to appeal to picky eaters (which mine are). What do you feed now?

One of the techs was telling me last night that they can do the tacking procedure laproscopically (is that the right word?) if the dog isn't already in as part of a bigger surgery. Neither of my dogs has ever bloated, but I'm almost thinking it's worth it just so that I don't agonize over it so much.

Scary. Hope he is doing fine. Just a thought though - if he had foam in his stomach, would that show up in an x-ray?
No idea - but he seems totally normal today and his stomach was in the right place :)

We also x-rayed his esphogus and throat, actually, to make sure something wasn't stuck in there, and it was clear.

Glad Alfred is OK.

never dealt with this in my dogs, but a deerhound i knew bloated and since it was an issue in his 'line', he did have his stomach tacked too. his dogs seemed to have a lot of digestive issues, very sensitive to any changes in their diets. I do not remember if any were tacked as a preventative to bloating though.

Hugz to your furkids!
Thanks, me too!!! :)

See, it's not a particular issue for either of my dogs, or their lines, but I'd just be thinking of doing it because Dobers are prone to it. I guess I'm trying to weigh whether that's a bit extreme or a good idea.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My vet told me last week on tacking the stomach up that Dobermans less than 1% likely to bloat. Has anyone heard differently from this?

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
Had a pexy done on my female when she was spayed. No problems since then, but no problems before then either. I figured while they were already in there it made sense to go ahead and have it done. I also keep gas-x in the doggie first aid kit should the need arise.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
We had Diva done when she was spayed. I've never had any issues with bloat until Spice did, so now am extra cautious. My vet said the plaxy is not 100% guarantee against future bloating though or even torsion depending on how severe the blaot is if it happen. He said the chances are slim of either happening with it, but wanted me to know a small chance still exists. So I guess nothing is a real guarantee. :)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
So sorry to hear about your bloat scare! Thank goodness he is ok now.

My male Dobe bloated and torsed, thankfully pulled through OK, but he did require surgery. We had him tacked when they did the bloat surgery. I will definitely also have my female tacked if she is ever having a procedure in the future (ie if she were to be spayed) and they can do the tack at the same time.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Glad it didn't end up being anything serious.

He will be much happier when he gets his SS package..hehe! ;)

Reactions: Sherryh and kates

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I live in FEAR of that happening, and Swilly's convinced me a couple times she's bloating, but minus the retching. Horribly frightening and I'm sure glad your dog is okay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Terrifying! Great that you got your pup to the hospital quickly.

My Samoyed bloated and experienced torsion on October 17-18. 11:00p and we did the same thing -- watching her for 15-20 minutes and knowing that it was not a situation to chance waiting overnight.

Emergency surgery saved her and the gastropexy hopefully will prevent a recurrence of torsion.

If I ever have another Samoyed spayed or opened up for any reason, they'll be getting a prophylactic gastropexy.

Here's an account I wrote of my experience with Gidget. There are also a number of links on bloat:

Article Bloat and Samoyeds

The Gas-X which Robin had recommended I keep on hand (car first aid kit, home and backpack) may well have saved Gidget's life that night. Costco sells it and I give a couple capsules to all my dog friends to have on hand.

P.S. Since the bloat incident, Gidget is off kibble completely. She's now eating Merrick's canned. Whole Dog Journal in the November issue carried an article on the benefits of quality canned over kibble -- among the bennies noted was canned producing less gas than kibble during the digestive process. Merrick's canned was among their recs and I knew Gidget liked it and she's doing great on it. But I would like to get her off processed food, period, and am planning on switching over to home-prepared. Toward that end,I'm presently reading a book on home prepared dog food called "Fresh Food & Ancient Wisdom."

Here's a link to the author's website and info on the book. It can be downloaded for $29. I can't vouch for it yet (still reading and compiling an ingredients shopping list) but the owner of a holistic pet store I frequent is a big fan and feeds her labs using stew recipes from this book:

http://www.drbasko.com/site/freshfoodbook/

Diet is probably just part of the bloat equation. Genetics evidently play a role and dogs prone to anxiety appear to be at higher risk (Gidget is scared of thunder and an hour after her dinner that night we were under aural assault from illegal fireworks which terrified her).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
me, myself and I think it is a bit extreme to just start tacking all my dogs stomachs to prevent a possible bloat.

now, if ever one of my dogs bloated/torted, etc., I would ask the Vet to tack, if he could, while he was 'in there'.

:)
I felt the same until Dagny’s girl bloated. After recently talking to my vet, I would probably tack any dog going in for routine surgery. Neither of mine has bloat close up in their pedigree but there are just too many other factors that could bring it on. Stress, a weather event, too many things one cannot control.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Kates, you asked what I'm feeding now, and my answer is "undecided." :D

Actually I have always tended to rotate foods, on the theory there is no perfect kibble.

I have been alternating between Blue, TOTW (High Prairie Formula), Orijen/Acana, and every now-n-then some Solid Gold.

I also try to do at least one to two raw meals a week, with some RMBs as often as possible, too.

One of the foods I thought was awesome, and my dogs acted like it was a whole bowl of high-value treats was Mulligan's Stew, but it's not available anywhere within driving distance of me, now, sadly.

It's one of the spendier ones, but geez, it's great.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
(((Kates)))
so sorry about Alfred's scare.

I've been trying to switch Nina to a higher quality food, and gradually at that. One of them kept messing her up despite only small amounts. Orijen 6 fish in our case, which is hard as rocks really even not that soft when soaked for awhile. I tried twice (w/week long breaks in between) to switch her to it and same reaction after time.

Maybe someone can chime in on this- did I read correctly that switching kibbles/food can sometimes spur bloats?

Hoping no more scares for you Kates.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts