Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
well, this was all accomplished tonight! he's starting to get the hang of ASL--- at least for d-o-w-n and s-i-t

Gus the red dobie knows sign language - YouTube
What a clever Dobe he is too, may I ask, are you teaching him to be an aid to a deaf person.
I do hand signals to Toby, very similar to the ones you are doing with your Gus, thing is I have deaf family members who may need to speak to Toby and of course they use sign language to communicate so I thought it a good idea that Toby knows what is being said to him as and when.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a clever Dobe he is too, may I ask, are you teaching him to be an aid to a deaf person.
I do hand signals to Toby, very similar to the ones you are doing with your Gus, thing is I have deaf family members who may need to speak to Toby and of course they use sign language to communicate so I thought it a good idea that Toby knows what is being said to him as and when.
Cool! I'm really just doing it so I can control him in a crowded or loud place, possibly from a distance as well. It's a work in progress. :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If you are teaching this because it is a fun challenge, that's great. If you want utilitarian communication, you might be better off with traditional obedience signals which are big and broad and clear and simple and designed for distance. If you are in an environment so loud that your speech cannot be heard by your dog, he is better off not being there.

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
very good.. mine all do commands to hand signals.. but its one hand signal to each command... i think you will get there but you sure are going about it in a long way... teach him hand signals that are easy and you will get much better results..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts