Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I chose the doberman breed for my family, I was most attracted to them for the protective instincts and for their ability to ward off intruders. I hoped that he would never need to defend us or save us, but I surely didn't expect him to possibly save our lives at just 15 weeks of age.
My boys get up early every day. They were up at 6:00 am this morning. My 18 month old was ready for his morning nap so I went back with him to lay down in my bedroom. Gunner was napping in his crate, and my 4 year old was laying on the couch watching TV. I had just gotten the baby to sleep, when suddenly Gunner started barking really loud. He's usually not a barker, so that was weird. But the weirdest thing was HOW he was barking. It was urgent and almost panicked. I got out of bed and went back up front. As soon as I opened my door, I smelled something burning. I followed the smell into the kitchen where the dishwasher had been running. I opened it up, and was greeted by smoke and the horrible smell of burning plastic. A plastic spatula had fell off the top rack and was sitting on the heating element. It was black and was smoking horribly. I have no doubt that if I hadn't got to it soon, it would have started a fire. I also understand that plastic fumes are poisonous. I opened all the doors and windows and thankfully got it under control before it got any worse. If Gunner hadn't have alerted me, I would have layed in bed with my son for probably another 20 minutes or so...maybe longer. As soon as I got it all under control, he layed back down and went back to sleep. I am so grateful he was there. My 4 year old didn't realize anything was wrong. Who knows what may have happened.....thank god for Dobermans.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What a great boy Gunner is!!! My pup is only 11 weeks old and he is already protecting out place. Whenever someone is near out place outside he barks, there truly an amazing breed.

My last Doberman was not in any way a barker, the most he did was do this excited woooing noise when getting ready for a walk. There was only twice I ever heard his real protective bark.

The first time was when my mom went into the bathroom as herself and then came out in a costume because it was Halloween and Gabriel got up and started barking not knowing it was my mom and my mom quickly took off the mask because he was lunging at her. Once he noticed it was her he had a look of embarrassment on his face.

The second time was when someone tried to break into our house with a crow bar. I woke up to him and my other dog barking. Great dogs they are for sure.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Way to go Gunner!! Extra treats for him no doubt. They are great dogs in that respect, something doesnt look, smell or feel right they let you know. Great that you had him there to alert you.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Way to go Gunner!! Extra treats for him no doubt. They are great dogs in that respect, something doesnt look, smell or feel right they let you know. Great that you had him there to alert you.
Oh yeah....he just got some scrambled eggs and ham for breakfast. It scares me to think what may have happened without him here. That thing was seriously only moments away from turning into a full fire...makes me sick to think about.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,628 Posts
Yea Gunner!!!!

I always wondered whether my dogs would respond to a fire/smoke alarm until one night when we woke up in bed to find Katana agitatedly climbing all over our faces. The smoke alarm was going off--well, really its battery had run out of charge and it was doing its warning beep--just a little beep every minute or so. She knew SOMETHING wasn't normal.

Dogs are really amazing in their ability to respond to unusual and different noises/smells, aren't they?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Give that boy a bone!! I've also learned to listen to the dogs because they hear and sense better than we can. I'm glad you all are safe!! :)

·
Banned
74 Posts
Sigh.... my gf told me just to keep my mouth shut but I'm drunk so here it goes... I understand you love your pup and he's the smartest pup on the planet (we all feel the same about our own) but realistically at 15 weeks your pup doesn't know the difference between his a** from his elbow and chances are his barking was more because he wanted out of his crate, as convincing as it may have sounded... Oh and the spatula... it would've just keep melting not burn you and your belongings to the ground..(been there) but hey great story and Gunner shows alot of potential in bomb sniffing!
your's truly,
DT's drunken a**hole

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
What a smart boy! Melting plastic in no way smells safe or good or like home; it's unsettling.

Elka is certainly the "stove police". She grumbled at me once when the gas burner, which had been on "low", blew out because the kitchen window was open. She also lets me know when water has come to a boil.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,628 Posts
Misha422, listen more to your girlfriend. LOL

*Perhaps* the spoon would not catch on fire, but it would release dangerous (stinky) fumes. I know that teflon fumes can kill pet birds (a bird owner is advised not to even use non-stick pans to cook with) and plastic fumes have that potential too. Can't be entirely healthy for any of us living creatures.

And even if Gunner did not know what was bothering him (we people know smoke might cause fire!), he did know something strange was making him uncomfortable, and barked. When you think about it, that is really what just about any dog is doing when he barks.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
That boy sure is special :)

Pics are a must ....you should know by now -.-

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sigh.... my gf told me just to keep my mouth shut but I'm drunk so here it goes... I understand you love your pup and he's the smartest pup on the planet (we all feel the same about our own) but realistically at 15 weeks your pup doesn't know the difference between his a** from his elbow and chances are his barking was more because he wanted out of his crate, as convincing as it may have sounded... Oh and the spatula... it would've just keep melting not burn you and your belongings to the ground..(been there) but hey great story and Gunner shows alot of potential in bomb sniffing!
your's truly,
DT's drunken a**hole

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. He does NOT bark in his crate. Never has. He was also worn out from a rough morning of playing and was in the middle of a nap when this happened. He even went back to sleep when i was done cleaning up. I know my dog, and he was alerting me to something wrong. Believe what you want.

As far as the spatula, so you're saying that burning plastic and smoke in a house with two young children (one who has asthma and breathing problems) is not dangerous?? REALLY?? Also, my brother in law came over and looked at everything and said a fire was very likely. He's a firefighter by the way ;)

I'm a single mother at the moment. My husband is overseas for two years. I came on here thankful that our doberman helped me keep our kids safe. I certainly didn't expect any negative reaction. Unless you were here to witness everything, I don't think you have any right to judge. Next time, lay off the alcohol and don't comment on things you know nothing about.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ misha422 - totally uncalled for:
- no one has to "rain on the dog parade" / just SAD

OliviaB - from reading your posts, YOU have every right to be very proud of your Gunner.
The truly smart dogs, come from owners, that can "read" their dogs...and build on this awareness.
(just because dogs can't talk human, is nothing / they are wiser than some people give them credit)
Watching a dog growing up and catching them communicating to us...giving us their clues to decipher / is a wonderful gift (from an animal).
- and when a person, starts to watch more closely & learn from it, the dog/master relationship becomes so special and almost unreal

While my dog hasn't been a puppy, for more than a decade...she still teaches me.

Just last week, I was doing a reno to my second house...and gone for a few hours.
Working with a carpenter, I had no idea if I would be gone for 1 hour or 4.
Unknowned timewise to my wife, 2 hours later I was driving home:
- Amy started to seriously watch the driveway (where I park my vehicle)...just 5 minutes before my ETA
- one minute before my arrival, Amy on full alert with ears up & watching out the front window / and then I return to the driveway

If were driving home, our girl is usually napping in the back seat of my wifes Volvo wagon...all stretched out.
Sometimes its a 30 minute drive and if we had visited family its a 2 hour drive home.
It doesn't matter, where we are coming from...she wakes up and looks around every time, (like clock work)...1 minute car ride from home.
Doing this for several years....at first we thought it was just a coincidence / but it is uncanny...waking up so close to home / without fail.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^^^^^^^^ misha422 - totally uncalled for:
- no one has to "rain on the dog parade" / just SAD

OliviaB - from reading your posts, YOU have every right to be very proud of your Gunner.
The truly smart dogs, come from owners, that can "read" their dogs...and build on this awareness.
(just because dogs can't talk human, is nothing / they are wiser than some people give them credit)
Watching a dog growing up and catching them communicating to us...giving us their clues to decipher / is a wonderful gift (from an animal).
- and when a person, starts to watch more closely & learn from it, the dog/master relationship becomes so special and almost unreal

While my dog hasn't been a puppy, for more than a decade...she still teaches me.

Just last week, I was doing a reno to my second house...and gone for a few hours.
Working with a carpenter, I had no idea if I would be gone for 1 hour or 4.
Unknowned timewise to my wife, 2 hours later I was driving home:
- Amy started to seriously watch the driveway (where I park my vehicle)...just 5 minutes before my ETA
- one minute before my arrival, Amy on full alert with ears up & watching out the front window / and then I return to the driveway

If were driving home, our girl is usually napping in the back seat of my wifes Volvo wagon...all stretched out.
Sometimes its a 30 minute drive and if we had visited family its a 2 hour drive home.
It doesn't matter, where we are coming from...she wakes up and looks around every time, (like clock work)...1 minute car ride from home.
Doing this for several years....at first we thought it was just a coincidence / but it is uncanny...waking up so close to home / without fail.
Thanks for that :) I'll never understand those people who have to be so negative. This world is full of enough bad things...don't understand those who always have to throw negative comments in just for the heck of it. Especially when it was such a positive good thing to start with. Oh well...I know my boy did a good thing and I'm super proud of him.

That's really cool about your girl too! Their instincts are amazing....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts