Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,451 Posts
This is what I'm wondering too....the amount of diarrhea is so small it doesn't make me think it's just a virus or something. I know some types of parasites are hard to see and with a small sample they want to deworm him just to make sure, which is fine. I am wondering if I should call back and request an xray just to rule out a foreign body. With the amount of straining he's been doing and the small amount of diarrhea, it bothers me. I know he's acting pretty normal and isn't vomitting, but if the object is further down his system that makes sense to me. I trust my vet but I don't want to bring him home either with no real answers :( If something is inside him making him bleed that is obviously pretty serious.
I've been in your position, and went ahead and got the x-ray for my own peace of mind. I'd do it again, too. I think we know when something's just not right with our dogs, so keep pushing at the vet's office if you aren't getting answers.

Here's hoping it's nothing to worry about. Also, a huge THANKS for taking him to the vet *before* you posted. :)

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I hope all is well and Gunner is on the mend soon. I have to agree with MeadowCat, I would want an x-ray regardless of what the vet felt or didn't feel on palpation.

Hugs and prayers.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks everyone :) My boy is home and taking a nap. It was a tough call honestly but my vet said she is 99% sure he isn't obstructed. He was bouncing around the clinic like a clown, has a great appetite, has not vomitted at all, and showed zero pain when she examined him. I realized I gave him a new dental bone a few days ago that could have upset his stomach so I'm hoping that's all it was. I know he chewed it so it wouldn't have gotten stuck but possibly could have caused the diarrhea. He is on a probiotic, flagyl, and was dewormed with drontal plus. If no improvement or if he gets any worse, I will take him right back in for xrays. Fingers crossed it's just an upset tummy :rolleyesww:

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
From what I have seen with Nubis and read elsewhere from different sources, sometimes if theirs blood, its stemming from the renal area if say an unnatural object is trying to move along and get pushed out.
Not sure, why they would just deworm if it was negative. I know blood can be a sign of worms but usually not associtated with straining and constipation imo.
Are you trying to say "rectal" area, instead of renal?

Renal has to do with the kidneys.

Thanks everyone :) My boy is home and taking a nap. It was a tough call honestly but my vet said she is 99% sure he isn't obstructed. He was bouncing around the clinic like a clown, has a great appetite, has not vomitted at all, and showed zero pain when she examined him. I realized I gave him a new dental bone a few days ago that could have upset his stomach so I'm hoping that's all it was. I know he chewed it so it wouldn't have gotten stuck but possibly could have caused the diarrhea. He is on a probiotic, flagyl, and was dewormed with drontal plus. If no improvement or if he gets any worse, I will take him right back in for xrays. Fingers crossed it's just an upset tummy :rolleyesww:

I hope he recovers quickly and it's nothing serious.

Tell him to quit effin' with you, and scaring you! ;)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Are you trying to say "rectal" area, instead of renal?

Renal has to do with the kidneys.

;)
My Bad.. Thanks for pointing that out.
geez, another slice of cheescake going your way.

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Glad to hear they don't think its an obstruction. About the worms, I believe that depending on the sample it can come up negative but the worms grow in stages so I was told that they are not always as easily detectable at various times in their life cycle. I imagine the small sample size would make that harder too.

When Rowan was young he had an episode of straining to poop and then some bloody diarrhea too. Off to the vet we went at that first sight of blood since I was so worried. I don't remember which strain it was, but basically he had some kind of bacteria in his GI tract and just needed a round of meds and was good to go. Hoping Gunner has a quick and painless recovery too.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Glad he's home and doing well. Keep us posted and hugs to both of you.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Glad it wasn't an obstruction, when Odin gets an upset stomach he shows the signs gunner was having. Normal appetite, energy etc but he will strain to have a bowel movement for a couple days then everything goes back to normal. Hope this is the case for gunner. Sending good vibes your way :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.