Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been almost 48 hrs since he has had a normal BM. He goes outside and strains to poop but nothing comes out. This morning he passed a small amount of diarrhea so of course an obstruction is my biggest fear. Thankfully he is acting fine otherwise, no vomitting, and his appetite is normal. I left him with the vet this morning for observation, X-rays, or whatever else they feel is needed. I'm crossing my fingers it's just constipation but I would rather be safe than sorry. He normally poops three times a day so this is very abnormal. I will update when I hear from the vet.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Sending good vibes!!!!!!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I will start singing the poop song for you...it's been a while since I've had to sing it, but I'm sure it will still be just as effective! ;)

"Poop poop poop poop, pooping's so much fun!
run in circles then squat down and squeeze it out your bum!"
:D

(needs to be sung in a loud voice on the hour for maximum potency) ;)

If we can get the whole board here to sing along (preferably in public), I'm sure you'll hear good news from the vet. (and I'm adding prayers for poop, just to be sure!)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will start singing the poop song for you...it's been a while since I've had to sing it, but I'm sure it will still be just as effective! ;)

"Poop poop poop poop, pooping's so much fun!
run in circles then squat down and squeeze it out your bum!"
:D

(needs to be sung in a loud voice on the hour for maximum potency) ;)

If we can get the whole board here to sing along (preferably in public), I'm sure you'll hear good news from the vet. (and I'm adding prayers for poop, just to be sure!)
:roflmao: Thanks for making me laugh...that is awesome!

I'm praying so hard it's not an obstruction. From what I know, most obstructions cause vomitting right?? I gave him pumpkin last night hoping that would cure any constipation, but this morning he ran around for 15 minutes trying to poop so I knew it was time to consult the vet. I'm waiting by the phone hoping I get some news soon. Ugh, my 2 year old had to go the the ER last weekend for a dislocated elbow, and now this. I just want all my kids (furry and non) to be healthy! :rolleyesww:

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
:roflmao: Thanks for making me laugh...that is awesome!

I'm praying so hard it's not an obstruction. From what I know, most obstructions cause vomitting right?? I gave him pumpkin last night hoping that would cure any constipation, but this morning he ran around for 15 minutes trying to poop so I knew it was time to consult the vet. I'm waiting by the phone hoping I get some news soon. Ugh, my 2 year old had to go the the ER last weekend for a dislocated elbow, and now this. I just want all my kids (furry and non) to be healthy! :rolleyesww:
Vomiting is a sign.
Straining is often the case when I believe it is in the renal tract (sic).
When Nubis way younger, he had gotten some batting from inside his dog bed, that i was unaware of and it was in his sytem for about 3 weeks.
Prior to straining, his poop size lessened, then really loose stool, straining and out came a mix of the batting. I guess you could call it a partial obstruction.

Was their any blood in his poop?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, the vet just called. They don't think he has an obstruction so didn't do any xrays on him. She felt his abdomen and felt no signs of pain or a blockage. He is having blood in the diarrhea he is passing so they ran a fecal test and although it was negative, they are deworming him just to make sure and are also treating the diarrhea with flagyl. Thoughts?? I wish I knew what was definitely causing the bloody diarrhea...that has me worried :rolleyesww:

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
From what I have seen with Nubis and read elsewhere from different sources, sometimes if theirs blood, its stemming from the renal area if say an unnatural object is trying to move along and get pushed out.
Not sure, why they would just deworm if it was negative. I know blood can be a sign of worms but usually not associtated with straining and constipation imo.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Sending prayers and good vibes your way. I am really hating bad news concerning dogs, my friend learned her best friend Goliath a gorgeous and loving pit bull has cancer in both kidneys and stomach and they had to put him down.

I hope this is just something he ate that upset his system and he recovers fast!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I have seen with Nubis and read elsewhere from different sources, sometimes if theirs blood, its stemming from the renal area if say an unnatural object is trying to move along and get pushed out.
Not sure, why they would just deworm if it was negative. I know blood can be a sign of worms but usually not associtated with straining and constipation imo.
This is what I'm wondering too....the amount of diarrhea is so small it doesn't make me think it's just a virus or something. I know some types of parasites are hard to see and with a small sample they want to deworm him just to make sure, which is fine. I am wondering if I should call back and request an xray just to rule out a foreign body. With the amount of straining he's been doing and the small amount of diarrhea, it bothers me. I know he's acting pretty normal and isn't vomitting, but if the object is further down his system that makes sense to me. I trust my vet but I don't want to bring him home either with no real answers :( If something is inside him making him bleed that is obviously pretty serious.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
hookworms can cause bloody diahrrea, and partially obstruct if they go nuts. If the fecal was only a small sample, it's possible that it might not contain a shedding from the worms. Hoping that it's the case here.

has he had a bone lately? They can bind them up pretty bad sometimes too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He hasn't eaten anything foreign that I'm aware of BUT he is famous for finding things and scarfing them down before I even realize what's happened. :rolleyesww:

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
If there are no obvious signs of an obstruction and he is acting normal. I would monitor very closely.
If he stops eating. Problems.
if no BM, problems

Reactions: Sherryh and OliviaB
1 - 20 of 37 Posts