Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was letting Gunner out of his crate this morning for his potty time. As he was stepping out of his wire crate, somehow a few of his toes got hung in the bottom portion that goes over plastic tray. He started screaming and yelping like crazy. I reached to try and help him get his foot loose, and then he started getting very aggressive acting. The yelps turned to snarls and he actually bit my arm as I was trying to pry his foot loose. Honestly, I didn't realize until after I got him free that he had bit me beacuse I was so focused on getting him loose, but he broke skin and there is already a bruise there. After I got his foot loose, he cowered to the back of the kennel and refused to come out. I didn't push him or say anything, I just left the door open and within five minutes, he ventured out on his own. When he did, he was very quiet and came up to be me very warily. I petted him and then he turned into his happy goofy self. Now he's running around like nothing ever happened and is treating me the same as always. Two questions. Should I be concerned about the bite or chalk it up as a freak accident from a scared and hurting pup? I know he was terrified...he even peed all over both of us. Should I worry that he associated the pain with me? That's how he acted. Like he thought I was the one hurting him. I obviously don't want him to think that I would EVER hurt him or not trust me. Help....this was a weird freak accident but I don't want it to hurt our relationship which has been perfect until this point. :( BTW, his foot is fine. Not even limping.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Im not an expert, but to me it sounds like the 'Fight or flight' instinct kicked in; he couldn’t run away when he was scared so his body automatically and momentarily went into 'fight back' mode.

I think as large dog owners, we sometimes over-worry about the actions of our dogs, whereas if it was a cocker spaniel (or even cat) acting in the same way, we wouldn’t have given it a second thought. I think him coming up afterwards was him trying to apologise for his actions.

If this is the only time it has happened, I wouldn’t worry at all. Hope your arm feels better soon!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not an expert, but to me it sounds like the 'Fight or flight' instinct kicked in; he couldn’t run away when he was scared so his body automatically and momentarily went into 'fight back' mode.

I think as large dog owners, we sometimes over-worry about the actions of our dogs, whereas if it was a cocker spaniel (or even cat) acting in the same way, we wouldn’t have given it a second thought. I think him coming up afterwards was him trying to apologise for his actions.

If this is the only time it has happened, I wouldn’t worry at all. Hope your arm feels better soon!
Thanks...that's pretty much how i feel too. I know he wasn't trying to hurt me....he was just in a lot of pain and scared to death. He is an animal after all. When I worked for the vet, I saw a lot of really sweet dogs have to be muzzled when they were hurt. Like you said, instinct just kicks in. I also don't want to shrug it off though if someone else thinks it's a problem.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I think it was as you say, he was scared and reacted. I have had a couple incidents with Mysti when she was younger and also have had a couple with my current dogs, (with me as well as between the two of them) and they dont seem to remember anything negative toward me or each other so I would say you are pretty safe there. As for his reaction later he seems to have known he needed to give you an apology and did so, I think you should just leave it as is and move on, and make sure that it cant happen again. Check the crate and make sure he wont get stuck. It should fade away pretty quick and all should be well.

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It is not unusualy when a dog is hurt and scared they bite out of pain. It is not aggressive and it is not actually diraected at you but striking out at the one who is trying to help. Dont' worry just go about things as normal but it is one big reason why I hate wire crates.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think he actually felt bad that he bit you which he probably did because he was hurting and panicking. His staying in the crate and then coming out and going over to you to see how you were going to react to him....to me, it indicates a dog apology. I wouldn't worry about it just make sure his paw doesn't get caught again.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I think you handled it the right way, basically ignored him and let him come out on his own. Making no big deal about it. Like others have said when dogs are in pain they can react this way. They can redirect on to you. Glad it was only your arm!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone...I'm feeling a lot better about it. As far as the crate, now I'm kind of freaked out. He was walking out of the crate when his paw got stuck...really have no idea how it happened or how to prevent it from happening again. I really think he realizes that what he did was wrong though. He's been very loving and clingy this morning. I was sitting in the floor earlier and he just came up and sat beside me and put his big paw gently on my lap and stared at me. I've been loving on him a lot and trying to let him know that it's okay. My husband reminded me of an incident when my son was getting his shots as a 2 year old. I was holding him down and he bit the crap out of me. Similiar situation I guess. When someone is in a lot of pain and scared, they don't act rationally. I'm just going to forget about it I guess and pray that he won't be so klutzy :p

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks everyone...I'm feeling a lot better about it. As far as the crate, now I'm kind of freaked out. He was walking out of the crate when his paw got stuck...really have no idea how it happened or how to prevent it from happening again. I really think he realizes that what he did was wrong though. He's been very loving and clingy this morning. I was sitting in the floor earlier and he just came up and sat beside me and put his big paw gently on my lap and stared at me. I've been loving on him a lot and trying to let him know that it's okay. My husband reminded me of an incident when my son was getting his shots as a 2 year old. I was holding him down and he bit the crap out of me. Similiar situation I guess. When someone is in a lot of pain and scared, they don't act rationally. I'm just going to forget about it I guess and pray that he won't be so klutzy :p
You are having a rough couple of days. Hey Universe, give her a break! She's been taking care of a two kids on her own while her husband's away...she's long overdue and ready for a vacation without adding this extra stuff!

I agree with what everyone else has said so I don't really have anything to add about Gunner!.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are having a rough couple of days. Hey Universe, give her a break! She's been taking care of a two kids on her own while her husband's away...she's long overdue and ready for a vacation without adding this extra stuff!

I agree with what everyone else has said so I don't really have anything to add about Gunner!.
Lol, I know right?! I was up all night AGAIN with the 18 month old and my own stomach virus, then my 4 year old woke me up at 5:45. Then when I try to take the dog out to potty, somehow I end up covered in pee with a dog bite :p I am SO ready for this vacation!!! I think I've earned it :p

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
"I was sitting in the floor earlier and he just came up and sat beside me and put his big paw gently on my lap and stared at me"

LOL! 'Muuuuummmmm, I have an OUCHIE!' :D CUTE

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I was sitting in the floor earlier and he just came up and sat beside me and put his big paw gently on my lap and stared at me.
He was telling you he was ok, and he loves you :) Our dogs are pretty darn smart ya know:D

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
832 Posts
Shannon doesnt eat blankets or such in her crate. She has a crate pad and I overlap a sheet/blanket over the wire by the door/tray (hope that makes sense). Her paws used to slide under there when she was a puppy and that prevented it from happening.

We dont lock her in the crate anymore, we actually took the door off. She chooses whether to sleep in her crate or dog bed...decisions...decisions :)

I agree with the others thinking she was panicked.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Every dog will bite if they are hurt enough. It doesnt mean they are aggressive, they are animals after all. I needed stitches after Emma (a Beagle) laid into me. But in her defence I hurt her, badly. She tried to bolt out the door at my parents farm after a deer (and she would NOT come back being a scent hound) so I grabbed for her. Missed her collar and grabbed a entire handful of her skin on her back, and grabbed hard. She turned and nailed me. Not her fault at all.

I agree that Gunner was just reacting like any animal would, when in pain.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Nothing to be worried about IMO. When our girl was a puppy she broke her leg, yet still managed to run into the house and get under bed before I could grab her. Had to get her out from under the bed and to e vet. Wasn't an option, and she snarled and snapped (didn't make contact, but she was genuinely trying). Never happened before, and never again. Ten more blissful years of perfect dog. I wouldn't lose a moment thinking about it, or over analyzing it. It's a "I can't get away and I'm in pain" response. Instinct trumps training in this particular situation.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Have you ever read any stories of dogs attacking each other when one gets caught on another dog's collar? It's the same type of situation? Panic, they fight because they can't flee. I've been fortunate so far that I haven't been bit but there are times I've though CRAP here goes, it's the only thing I can do to in an ER (i.e. retreiving food from Flirt's throat as she was choking) and if the dog bit me, so be it. I'd move on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts