Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
azdobiefam
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife and daughter to look at a puppy this evening, a female, 6 months old. She was energetic and had a good coat but she had a cut on her rear leg that looked a few days old - already scaring over - that had not been treated. By itself the cut didn't represent reason enough not to consider the dog, a vets visit in the morning would have been all that was needed. What concerned me was a growth on the back of her foreleg, behind her elbow (if dogs had elbows). The breeder said it was from the kennel and that it was not unusual and it would go away. The growth felt soft like fatty tissue and didn’t seem to hurt the pup. I’ve seen kennel sores on older dogs- they are usually callous and bare but I've never something like this on a puppy. Is this a common and temporary thing?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Gosh, red flags all around.

Doesn't sound like the type of breeder I'd feel comfortable buying from.

Did you get to see copies of the parents' cardiac screenings? (Holter and echocardiogram results from each year, plus the PDK4 results)

OFA verification on hip dysplasia status? Thyroid blood panels? Liver panels?

If all that (and more health screenings) was not done, then it would be a huge gamble to take on this pup as you have no idea of her risks of developing serious health issues, many of which are fatal (and expensive and heartbreaking to treat, prior to death).

·
azdobiefam
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The breeder said he only noticed the cut on the pups rear leg while giving her a bath in advance of our visit. They are hobby breeders however the sire's owner is a fulltime professional breeder with a good reputation. The health screening was complete and quite comprehensive. I dont think the breeder is a bad person or a bad breeder necessarily - the cut on the leg should have been caught sooner - no doubt - but it's the growth on her leg that was my real concern. What is the frequency of hygroma and will it pass? (I will read the link when I finish writting this) Thanks for the information

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
The breeder said he only noticed the cut on the pups rear leg while giving her a bath in advance of our visit. They are hobby breeders however the sire's owner is a fulltime professional breeder with a good reputation. The health screening was complete and quite comprehensive. I dont think the breeder is a bad person or a bad breeder necessarily - the cut on the leg should have been caught sooner - no doubt - but it's the growth on her leg that was my real concern. What is the frequency of hygroma and will it pass? (I will read the link when I finish writting this) Thanks for the information

Huh? What is a "professional breeder"?

I'm sorry, but I'm hearing even more red flags here--and no Doberman, much less a six month old puppy needs to be living in a concrete kennel--which is most likely the cause of her hygroma.

She should be inside with a family, learning how to be a good companion to humans and a great citizen of the world.

I hope you don't make any hasty decisions here--sounds like you may already be attached, and that is probably something this breeder is counting on.

Try to take a step back and really find out if this is a good decision. If you actually saw copies of all that health testing, I'll be highly surprised.

Seeing a vet for an annual exam and having shots up to date, etc, having the vet say "They seem really healthy" in no way, not at all, qualifies as pre-breeding health screening.

I wouldn't even be concerned about the cut--but instead about the fact that this poor pup clearly lives in a kennel, isn't thoroughly checked daily even, and needed, apparently, a bath, before coming inside.

Not trying to come down on ya like a ton o' bricks, but you did ask this board how all this seemed, and I see alarm signals that would make me do a ton more research.

If this person (or the sire's owner) has a website, folks here will be glad to help you assess what they can, from the information posted there, if you want to share that.

·
azdobiefam
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Red Fawn and no, I don't feel like I've had a ton of bricks dropped on me:). I knew/anticipated the forums general reaction and included the details (cut on the leg, needing a bath, etc) without much comment so that forum members would react to the circumstances not my predetermined opinion. My opinion is that the puppy is not well cared for and the breeder has no business breeding dogs of any kind never mind a breed as reliant on early behavioral development as Dobermans - having said that you were right…I'm already attached to this pup. My wife is the more rational between us (her family raised champion poodles in Switzerland for forty years) and she has convinced me to keep looking. Still, I cant stop thinking about her.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you Red Fawn and no, I don't feel like I've had a ton of bricks dropped on me:). I knew/anticipated the forums general reaction and included the details (cut on the leg, needing a bath, etc) without much comment so that forum members would react to the circumstances not my predetermined opinion. My opinion is that the puppy is not well cared for and the breeder has no business breeding dogs of any kind never mind a breed as reliant on early behavioral development as Dobermans - having said that you were right…I'm already attached to this pup. My wife is the more rational between us (her family raised champion poodles in Switzerland for forty years) and she has convinced me to keep looking. Still, I cant stop thinking about her.

Your wife sounds like a wise woman :)

I do understand--it's hard to walk away when you've seen their face, and when you worry about that individual animal.

It's easier to step back and look at the big picture rationally, when you haven't met a puppy, for sure.

One of the things I do to protect my own heart is try to remember the onus is upon the human who bred the animal, not on me, and to think of not rewarding them for behaving badly, nor to encourage them to do the same to more and future animals.

That said, if there is ever a way to get an animal in need surrendered for free, I have done that, and found appropriate placement for them. Rarely does someone like that pa$$ up an opportunity for a paycheck, though, sadly.

Good luck in your search, and remember sometimes it matters to just bless them and let them go--she may yet land in rescue and wind up adopted by a great home, you never know, but your good thoughts will help her, no matter her path.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
You are in Phoenix, AZ ??? Who is the breeder?? You can PM me if you wnat. I am involved with the local dobe club.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts