Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Cannot believe the nerve of my puppy. i feed him i walk him he jumps on me weely neely and then yesterday we are relaxing and i rest my foot on his back n he growls. My GF tries it and he tries to snap at her. i figured he is tired so i tried again today still doing the same thing growling and snapping and eventually he just walked away from me. i did a body check to make sure he is not in pain or bruised but am like at a loss. Any Ideas??

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
mine hates having his feet touched. I can do his nails no problem. He just doesn't like his feet touched when he's relaxing. Same as people ...some have spots they don't want touched.

·
joie de vivre
11,246 Posts
I Cannot believe the nerve of my puppy. i feed him i walk him he jumps on me weely neely and then yesterday we are relaxing and i rest my foot on his back n he growls. My GF tries it and he tries to snap at her. i figured he is tired so i tried again today still doing the same thing growling and snapping and eventually he just walked away from me. i did a body check to make sure he is not in pain or bruised but am like at a loss. Any Ideas??
I assume you mean it's not "playful" growling or chomping at you guys... I'd put a stop to it pronto. It's one thing if my pup growls and nips some during play, it's quite another if the pup seriously thinks they can push you around with that behavior. What's his training been thus far?

ETA...just now caught it...agree with the others - why are you resting your feet on him?

Reactions: chakubi

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
How old is the pup and how long have you had him?

Reactions: chakubi

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
While I to wondered about the resting of your feet on his back, I overlook that part and I evaluate the issue at hand, and this is his growling and snapping at you and your GF. The fact is, the dog thinks he is equal or higher than you in the chain. You are not the boss, you are instead the person or pack member, that simply brings him what he wants, and plays with him when he wants to play. You apparently have no established parameters as to who is boss in your home. You must make sure he knows you and your GF are over him, he is at the bottom of this chain and must act accordingly. I am guessing since you say he jumps on you etc that you have not put any training on this dog, I would suggest you immediately start on basic obedience, this will help form the proper relationship between you and your dog, as he will learn you are the boss and it will help him be in better control and give him a place for his energy to go.

Hope this helps.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
well, it's not like she is standing on him. Not that you should use your dog as a couch, I'm just saying. I don't think it is appropriate to snap at his owner at all. Sometimes I put my feet on Roxy when she's laying to keep her and myself warm. Then I rub her with my feet.

Maybe he's sensitive in his hind area???

PITTS: I completely agree with you!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've never had any issues with Kleo about resting my hands, feet, head or any part of my body on her.

Good luck on resolving this issues. Could be he just doesn't want to be touched or something...

Reactions: chakubi and lemon

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
I agree with Pitts as well. However, I put my feet on or under Max all the time and rub him like Fitz. He is warm my feet are cold. He loves it. I think he considers it a form of petting. He doesn't mind being touched anywhere unless you have a thermometer in your hand. He doesn't like those.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I also don't see the problem with resting my feet on my dog. He kind of enjoys it and sees it as a belly rub. If your dog is jumping up on you and he growls on you when you put your feet on him, that's a definate top dog thing in my mind.

NILF training is necessary for a puppy that age. Set boundaries and STICK to them. He is not allowed up on the couch unless you invite him. Better yet, don't let him up on the couch or any furniture at all. He has to sit before his food etc etc.

Best of luck and keep your chin up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well well well,
thank u all 4 the awesome comments. now let me update clarify and clear things up.
Shaka is 7 months old pretty disciplined i would say.
basic commands instilled.
what was happening was i or my GF wuld be laying on the bed and shaka wuld be relaxing and sometimes rest my foot on him while rubbing him. he is no longer growling he is walking away (i am ok with that)
lesson learned is yes am the alpha and he knows that but somethings he is not cool with and why should i be mad at that. so i am no longer resting or rubbing him with my foot and all is well

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I'm just saying, I lay on my dogs all the time (and I'm not a small person) - I'm using them as pillows, putting my legs on them when they are on the couch, sleeping on them in bed. If *any* of them gave me anything but a moan and a sigh, we'd have some major words to be had in the house. Some of my dogs will not let other dogs on top of them, but all allow me to do what I need to. Facts in my house is that mom has the right to touch you anywhere and do what she pleases :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm just saying, I lay on my dogs all the time (and I'm not a small person) - I'm using them as pillows, putting my legs on them when they are on the couch, sleeping on them in bed. If *any* of them gave me anything but a moan and a sigh, we'd have some major words to be had in the house. Some of my dogs will not let other dogs on top of them, but all allow me to do what I need to. Facts in my house is that mom has the right to touch you anywhere and do what she pleases :)
Agree 100%.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have gotten my girl accustomed to letting me touch her where I want and when I want- no questions asked. She does sometimes think she can start playing/biting when I start messing with her but she soon understands to calm down and deal with it. She thinks it is no big deal now- I daily look into her mouth, grab her paws, inspect each nail, check her ears, hold her in my arms on her back and yes put my arms all over her when we are napping or cuddling. Maybe he is just not used to it and protests because of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have gotten my girl accustomed to letting me touch her where I want and when I want- no questions asked. She does sometimes think she can start playing/biting when I start messing with her but she soon understands to calm down and deal with it. She thinks it is no big deal now- I daily look into her mouth, grab her paws, inspect each nail, check her ears, hold her in my arms on her back and yes put my arms all over her when we are napping or cuddling. Maybe he is just not used to it and protests because of it.
Same here with Sab. I taught him very early to let me touch him anywhere.
I constantly poke and prod at him so that when it becomes necessary I can inspect an injury or anything. I always open his mouth and look just so he is used to it. As for a foot rest, if he is on MY couch or MY bed he has to deal with it. I put my feet on him all of the time and he doesn't care. He is just such a big loveable dufus and loves any type of attention from me.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
well well well,
thank u all 4 the awesome comments. now let me update clarify and clear things up.
Shaka is 7 months old pretty disciplined i would say.
basic commands instilled.
what was happening was i or my GF wuld be laying on the bed and shaka wuld be relaxing and sometimes rest my foot on him while rubbing him. he is no longer growling he is walking away (i am ok with that)
lesson learned is yes am the alpha and he knows that but somethings he is not cool with and why should i be mad at that. so i am no longer resting or rubbing him with my foot and all is well
I hate to disagree with you but your boy is not well disciplined or he would not be growling at you. He is telling you what you can do and that is wrong.
If you don't correct it, he will up the anty(?). Maybe next time he doesn't want you to touch his head, back, side, where ever he decides, if you let him.

I lay on the couch all the time with Parker on the other end, if I lay on my back and I need to lay a leg on him I do. If he is uncomfortable, he moves off the couch, comes back and we regroup.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts