Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. :) So we had a run in with a little blonde curly-haired girl today who likes to stare at dogs. Not her fault obviously, but Wonder hackled, barked and growled. He honestly wasn't aggressive, just nervous. I told him to quit, sat him and started treat dispensing like a mad woman, having him focus on me while the little girl was around. I decided not to let her offer him a treat because there was a lot going on in the area.

Did I do okay?

I guess we'll be camping out at little league games. :)

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
You did fine. I'm not a big fan of just telling the dog no. "No" is an abstract command that can mean don't chew that sock, don't eat the cat food, quit barking, don't jump on me, you get the idea. It's too generalized of a command and it doesn't really tell the dog what it *should* be doing. IMO you did good by telling him to sit. If he breaks the sit THEN you can correct him and re-sit him and then he KNOWS what he is being corrected for. If you can keep his focus on you and not break a sit he will be too busy to be distracted by a child and can then get used to them being around safely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts