Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from the store.. and my hubby said that jack was growling at my daughter.. and when he went out to pet jack that jack growled and nipped at him.. My hubby reprimanded him for it.. i was wondering if anyone else had an issue like this with there dobes.. he hasnt growled or nipped at me.. i had an issue like this when my cocker was small but he got over it when he learned who was boss.. i was just wondering if this would be the same.. i asked hubby if there was any food around cause i know that jack can get food agressive.. which we are breaking him of.. but hubby said there wasnt.. said that he went up and petted him on the back and jack growled and nipped at him.
ugh.. i really hope we can conqour this cause i dont want to give up him up.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I don't think you will have to give him up. It might take a little work, but Im sure that you guys can overcome it.

It could be Puberty, maybe he was testing the waters. Rommel never got aggressive with me or Scott, but he has been going through the "I can ignore you, your not my boss" stage. From what I have read, they will try to test you alot.

Is he the dominent dog in your house? He could be trying to see if he can extend this same role on to your family. Hopefully not, but just in case, I would watch him very closely around your girls. (I'm sure you do already)

Also, sometimes dogs get more aggressive if they are in pain.

Just a few ideas, hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Do you take him to puppy class for training at all? That is probably the only thing I can suggest...I don't know much about aggression issues...so the only thing I can think of is taking him to positive reinforcement obedience classes...to learn what behavior is desired from him. also, how does your family punish him? Just so long as there is no abuse :( my coco was in a bad home that abused him and it only makes them worse. so just make sure you always stay away from that :)
but yeah...that is all I can think of....I don't know why a young dog would growl and try to snap like that...we have to watch coco close with strangers...but he knows us and has never tried to snap or growl.
I also would try socializing him more since he has snaped at your hubby...I would think he would snap at strangers too....
just look into training if you dont already do...have a class and a teacher I think helps the socializing part of it...and as long as it is REAL positive the dog LOVES training especially dobes! :) :) :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I can tell you that you are not alone! Deffinently not. From everyone I heard from, which includes ppl here, vet and at his obedience. It's dominance thing. Well, for me it was. With my oldest son. Bruno would growl when he came near my husband or I when we were all just resting. He's fine with him any other time, it's just when he comes near us. He's very good with my youngest tho. I swear that kid can jump all over Bruno and he just doesn't care lol. So we started letting my oldest son feed Bruno (his job every evening to feed him) and I started the whole, getting the kids in the vehicle or through the door first. Then Bruno. Always making Bruno come last.

I can't even tell you how much it has helped. Sure he has his moments. But he's improved ALOT in the last 2 months. I was scared I'd have to give him up as well. But we worked it out and over came it :)

Hope it's just this phase and goes by quickly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hes doing good.. i figured it was cause of food. I had my daughter feed him yesturday and she gave him his food.. but when she went to pet his head he growled at her again... so now that i know what definatly is happening.. we are working it out. And as for him growling at my husband i think it was that he was testing him cause that hasnt happend yet again. so we will see how it goes. i know its gonna take time.. And as for him being with the other dogs he is still good with them.. just because someone has bad experiences with more then one male dog.. doesnt mean it happens with them all..
Thats as far as i will go with that.
Thanks for the help guys. Ill keep you up dated. In july i wont be on here cause we are taking a trip up to Ny. to see my sis get married. :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah does he growl ever when he gets a treat? Cause I heard of people that feed their dog their whole serving of food from their hand little by little. I don't know if that does anything or if it is safe to do....but maybe someone else on here can recommend something else if the hand feeding isnt a smart idea :) Have fun at your sisters wedding

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good to see you have narrowed it down somewhat. Do work with him as often as possible and with as many family members as possible while he is still a puppy.

Start with treats and make sure he EARNS them, and when you give him the treats he can only take them gently and carefully. As he eats his treats pet him in different places and get him used to this.

I don't know how feeding time was before but from now on you should definately make it a family event and he does not get the food until you are ready to give it to him. Make him do a sit stay a few feet away from the food until you tell him he can come and eat. Then slowly YOU should start petting him while he is eating and put your hand near the food bowl (since you said he does not growl at you). If he is ok with that start with other family members while you are there and then slowly work your way out.

I am sure as time passes he will learn that he does not need to protect his food as you are not going to take it away from him and also he will know that he will eat when YOU decide he will eat. But no matter how good he gets you should ALWAYS practice this habbit with him.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, he always takes treats very eary.. hes the easiest dog to give treats too, He also doesnt get fed unless he does something for it.. like sit, or lay down.. he doesnt get any type of food unless he works for it, yeah i know it will take time. i just have to keep a very good eye on him.
Thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yep. Keep an eye on him is right. You are deffinently working at it the right away IMO. I know Bruno started to show some food aggression. But that's when we made it my son's job to feed Bruno. Now Bruno knows when Isaiah (oldest son) gets up from the table it's dinner time. He also has to sit and stay for his dinner. And doesn't get fed until every family member is gone from the table, or done eating. It's worked awesome for us so far. I will also pet Bruno all over while he's eating and will put my hand in his food dish and feed him a few kibbles with my hand in his food dish still. We've had excellent progress with this :D

We've also gotten Bruno to STOP barking out the window :D YAY! I mean, he'll do it on occassion. But very RARELY does he do it now. He will just stand and watch. It's been tough. But we've managed. (that's without his obedience too. I'm not even gonna go there. 3 classes out of 6 we went. I was not pleased).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts