Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everybody.

First off, congratulations to the admin on this forum, a wonderful place where we can learn more about our favourite breed of dog.

A short introduction on me. I am a 25 year old male Singaporean, doing my postgraduate studies in Australia. Been here for the past 6 years and looking forward to graduation next June so I can go back for good.

I have 2 Rottweilers, a Beagle and a Fox Terrier. The Beagle and the Foxie actually belongs to my girlfriend and lives here in Australia with us. One of the Rotts I have had since I was 14. So many fun memories of running around in the garden and just mucking around with him. The other Rott I got here in Australia but had to send him back to Singapore when my landlord started to complain about him. He went back for about 3 months and stayed with my girlfriend's family and now they love him and won't give him back.

Which then leads me to where I am now, looking for a Dobermann, or rather 2 Dobermanns. My mom used to have a phobia of these dogs until I talked her into getting me the Rott 11 years ago and now I tell her I want to get Dobes and she's pretty ok with it, which was what I initially wanted 11 years ago anyway.

I have a problem which I hope you guys can help me out with here. I am looking for a Dobe which has a proven lineage. No, I do not want to show him or subject him to undue stress. What I do want though, is a dog that has retained the breed's characteristics and demonstrates high drive levels. Again, not that I want to train it to attack, rather this would make obedience training a breeze and as the dog matures, the natural instinct to protect would then come to the fore, thus negating the need for such training.

The problem now then is that I am unable to find a dog! Strange as that may sound, it is a problem for me. Singapore Kennel Club does not have any registered Dobermann breeders while some pet shops tell me they can locate breeders, this makes me very suspicious of these breeders. On top of that, only 2 pet shops out of the 50 I have rang say they can find Dobes for me, and these dogs will come from Australia. The only problem I have with that is that Aussie dogs do not come with docked tails and cropped ears and I do not wish to subject the dog to docking and/or cropping when it is 4 months old. The reason I want a docked and cropped dog is more to do with health reasons than purely cosmetic ones, an undocked tail has the chance to smash into walls while wagging causing internal bleeding and cropped ears encourage better air circulation keeping the ears cleaner.

So, does anyone here know where I will be able to find a good Dobermann in this part of the world? I am looking for a dog which comes from European lines, no offense to the American lines (just a personal preference thing), specifically, Russian, Hungarian or Italian lines. Hope you guys know of some people around these parts.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Welcome to the board! My suggestion to you would be to attend dog shows in your area to find a breeder. Stay away from the pet stores, they will be poorly bred dogs. Make sure to read Mary's link in the breeder section to become knowledgeable on how to pick a breeder. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope you stay and enjoy it here. I would agree with Coal's mom, and read the post by Mary.

Just a side note, my brother has a rott. I love his little girl so much, I am always trying to steal her. If she wasn't so big and heavy I might actually be able to. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome Coal-s and Gracie's Moms.

I have read that article, and I understand your concerns regarding puppy mills and selecting a healthy puppy.

The reason I am looking in this manner is to avoid dodgy breeders and pet shops that acquire their puppy from dubious sources. I always ask the pet shop if it is possible for me to meet their "local breeder contact" so that I can see the condition of how the puppies are kept and at least one of their parents. If this is refused, I take my business elsewhere.

The main problem with my looking for a Dobe is that most, if not all, resources pertaining to breeders are American breeders. This poses a problem for me as the cost of acquiring a puppy rises exponentially, with me having to make a trip out to the States to view the puppy and parents. Worse of all, reputable breeders sometimes refuse to even deal with me as they do not know me, which is something I understand and respect.

Gracie's_Mom said:
Just a side note, my brother has a rott. I love his little girl so much, I am always trying to steal her. If she wasn't so big and heavy I might actually be able to. :D
I know what you mean exactly. Rotties will always have a special place in my heart.

My older dog, Kurt, is getting on. I just hope I'll have graduated so that I can be by his side when he goes. The younger one, Yogi, eats like a pig, but he is a big boy. His mom was a 70kg monster and his dad was 85kg, really big dogs. Don't worry, his parents have been checked for hip problems and they're ok and so is Yogi. Right now, he is about 78kgs and he's 2 years old.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum TH. I can certainly feel your pain. My husband is in the USAF and we currently live on Okinawa. Finding a reputable breeder abroad can be quite difficult. Learn from my mistake and stay away from pet shops and inauspicious breeders. I got my 5 month old pup from a kennel that would be considered little more than a pet shop in the US but is considered quality here. Unfortunately we've already found out she's got hip problems :-(
We're actually planning a trip to Singapore in the spring! I'm so excited and can't wait to go shopping :)

~Tracy

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to the forum! I won't give you any advice you haven't already heard, so good luck on the dobie search, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
th.ng said:
The main problem with my looking for a Dobe is that most, if not all, resources pertaining to breeders are American breeders.
There are American breeders that breed Euro lines so don't be confused. I did think about it being a problem to ship to you though. Have you been to dog shows in your area? You may even have to travel a few hours to get to a show.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the warm welcome and good advice.

I will continue searching for good sources before committing myself.

TracyJo said:
We're actually planning a trip to Singapore in the spring! I'm so excited and can't wait to go shopping :)
When is spring? We've got upside down seasons here in Australia, we're heading into summer soon and the only thing good about that is the 3 month break from studying. If you're in Singapore while I'm there, I'll be more than happy to show you around.

CoAl-s-Mom said:
There are American breeders that breed Euro lines so don't be confused. I did think about it being a problem to ship to you though. Have you been to dog shows in your area? You may even have to travel a few hours to get to a show.
I am aware of that, but the cost of shipping to Singapore would be quite expensive. Sending my Rottie back to Singapore from Australia already set me back 2.5k, which is why I am quite apprehensive about sourcing from the States.

Dog show in Australia or Singapore? I haven't been to either to be honest, but I have located a person who brings in Dobes from Indonesia, bred from European and Russian lines.

I might be going ahead with this guy, if I am allowed to fly to Indonesia to take a look at the puppy's parents, but the price tag is quite hefty, 7k for 2 males. Will still be looking around for alternatives, please let me know if you guys come across something I can look at.

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome.

Regards,
TH

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, as you have found out already there are of plenty of people here willing to share advice with you.

Good luck on your search for a Dobe, finding the right dog is not easy but it is a decision you will live with for years to come so be sure you take your time and do your research.

Good Luck and again Welcome!
TD

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
th.ng said:
Thank you all for the warm welcome and good advice.

I will continue searching for good sources before committing myself.

When is spring? We've got upside down seasons here in Australia, we're heading into summer soon and the only thing good about that is the 3 month break from studying. If you're in Singapore while I'm there, I'll be more than happy to show you around.

I am aware of that, but the cost of shipping to Singapore would be quite expensive. Sending my Rottie back to Singapore from Australia already set me back 2.5k, which is why I am quite apprehensive about sourcing from the States.

Dog show in Australia or Singapore? I haven't been to either to be honest, but I have located a person who brings in Dobes from Indonesia, bred from European and Russian lines.

I might be going ahead with this guy, if I am allowed to fly to Indonesia to take a look at the puppy's parents, but the price tag is quite hefty, 7k for 2 males. Will still be looking around for alternatives, please let me know if you guys come across something I can look at.

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome.

Regards,
TH
Are you planning on getting 2 males?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Takirasdad, thanks for the welcome.

CoAl-s-Mom said:
Are you planning on getting 2 males?
Yes I am, preferably from the same litter so that the hierarchy would have been established.

I initially considered getting a male and a female, but I do not have any knowledge and/or experience in breeding these dogs and I think it would be better left to someone who does.

I will definitely be considering studding my dogs if they are able to better the gene pool and to ensure that my dogs will live on with me indefinitely.

Regards,
TH

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
th.ng said:
Yes I am, preferably from the same litter so that the hierarchy would have been established.

I
Regards,
TH
Okay I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on this subject but let me be the first to say........STOP!

2 Male dobermans is generally considered to be a terrible idea. There is alot of information out there on this but it is considered to be a very bad idea to house 2 male dobermans even if they are from the same litter.

Infact I am very suprised that a reputable breeder would place 2 male dobermans in a home with a person that does not have an extensive background with either dobermans or working dogs in general.

Now I have also heard stories about how this person or that person has 2 male dobermans and everything is great, but they are far and few between.

Most of the stories I hear about 2 male dobermans is that everything was fine until one day and then all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. It could be a very scary event to see or try to break up to adult male dobermans, I dont wish that on anyone.

Just some more food for thought.

TD

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Two males are a very bad idea. Littermates is even worse. Having 2 puppies period is a bad idea. There is alot involved in raising a Doberman with the proper obedience and socialization that committing to do it the right way for 2 puppies at the same time would be extremely hard. You also risk the chance of the 2 puppies bonding with each other and not with you. I know of what I speak. I did it and I look back on it and wonder how I did it. It was alot of work. It is doable, but not recommended at all. Especially for a first time Doberman owner.

·
Super Moderator
15,342 Posts
I would reccomend importing a dog from a dpca.org breeder, but im not sure if you are up for the 6 month quarantine (might be off on the length). Im really not sure what to tell you, in a situation like yours it will be very tough to get a cropped/docked dobe. My Uncle lives in Melbourne, and my Aunt lives in Singapore working with Eastman Kodak, small world... good luck :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice guys.

I might have to rethink about getting 2 males then. No breeder has actually consented to sell me their dog as yet. The person I was talking about actually brings the dog in from a breeder in Indonesia.

Why is it that it is more probable for 2 males of the same litter to get into a fight? Not disputing the fact, just looking for more proof.

I would not say I am a great handler/trainer, but I have been taught through a one year course by an ex Australian Airforce handler on basic and advance obedience and basic protection work, working together with my Rott.

Regards,
TH

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
th.ng said:
Why is it that it is more probable for 2 males of the same litter to get into a fight? Not disputing the fact, just looking for more proof.
TH
Littermates in general are more likely to fight than two non-related dogs, even if the littermates are of the opposite sex. Add the HIGH potential for male/male aggression that exists in this breed in any multi male home, and trying to keep two male littermates is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Murreydobe said:
Littermates in general are more likely to fight than two non-related dogs, even if the littermates are of the opposite sex.
I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice.

Lexus said:
I'd go with opposite sexes then.... Just to be safe.
I will probably look into that, but more than likely will be getting the single male.

Regards,
TH

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.