Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are planning for our puppy after the New Year, when we'll have the time to fully devote ourselves to loving, training, socializing, and post-cropping ear care for our young Dobe.

We have learned so much from this wonderful site. We've been reading it long before joining, and look forward to personally receiving helpful information as concerns arise. We debated, and finally ruled out a rescue dog. We are both retired, and have enjoyed raising and training our dogs since puppyhood. We have experience in obedience training, field trial competition, and one ribbon won long ago for best of breed (Labrador Retriever). My husband has raised Dobermans, and my family has always had GSD's. We both love the intelligence, beauty, athleticism, and devotion of Dobermans, and look forward to the obvious challenges and rewards.

We are seeking a reputable hobby show breeder with history of breeding healthy dogs with good temperaments. Although we live in MA, the 2 breeders we are considering are in FL and NC.

We welcome comments, feedback, and suggestions!

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and good luck with your search. I hope you used the DPCA breeder referral to find your breeder - if so you have a super chance of getting a great puppy

·
Super Moderator
22,560 Posts
Welcome! Which breeders are you looking at?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Puppy Questionnaire

Welcome! Which breeders are you looking at?
At this time, we have submitted a "Puppy Questionnaire" to Marquis Dobermans. If all goes well, we hope to visit the breeder in Florida in December or January, and hopefully have a puppy in the Spring or Summer.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
the New England/NY area has several good breeders although no sure if any litters are planned.

Kettle Cove (MA)
Rebholzer (Vermont)
Cara Dobermans (NY)

I know there are a few more but can't seem to think of them right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sort of in the same position as you, as Dobe puppy owners in the New Year. Look forward to seeing your pics!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We were hoping to get a puppy from Mistel Dobermans. Litters are only planned every year or two when they are refining their champion dogs and selectively breed in order to acquire a new show dog. A litter is planned for next year, but the puppies will all be red. I LOVE red, but my husband's heart is set on a black like his beloved "Frantz" who died at 13. I've copied and pasted Mistel's breeding philosophy below:

Hobby Show Breeders This breeder is primarily interested in the betterment of the breed. They are almost always actively involved in showing in conformation, and often participate in obedience, and/or agility. Most of them are actively involved in dog clubs. Most serious breeders are members of the Doberman Pinscher Club of America.

They breed no more than one litter a year ... two at the most. They fully understand the health issues within the breed and test both sire and dam for the important ones. These breeders select based on correct Doberman temperaments. They spend a great deal of effort researching pedigrees and stud dogs to select the breeding most likely to yield the best possible puppies. The puppies are usually whelped and raised in their homes and are socialized beginning at a very early age to optimize their temperaments for life in the real world.

Their goal is to breed the best Doberman, because they plan to keep one of the puppies for themselves as a show competitor. The facts of life, however, is that not all of the litter will be show quality. In fact, seldom is even half of a litter show quality. Many breeders consider a litter with one or two potential champions as a successful breeding. The remainder of the litter are placed in pet or performance homes (obedience and agility usually). If you are fortunate, you may get one of these puppies.

·
joie de vivre
11,305 Posts
It seems like you know just what you're looking for in a pup and a breeder and you've singled out some breeders with lovely dogs. :)

Good luck in your search!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts