Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2 month & 10days old pup we got her ears done on dec 13th 2012 the vet used a sponge with adhesive to hold the cropped ears together. 7 days after the procedure we had the sutres removed.On Sunday Dec 30 the sponge. Fell off one ear so we removed it and I had the breeder start the postings. Today when I got home from work I noted that on the putter part of the ears facing her forehead there was some greenish slimy fluid. Now to me it looks like when you got a really bad cut and it starts to scab, having kids ive seen this if you put a band aid on the wound there is no oxygen to dry the would so slime or fluid is found. I could be wrong but would like others opinions. The tape seemed to have caused the skin to open and produce this fluid. So now I am also in a predicament , as I removed the postings off one ear. Do I repost? Do I remove the postings off both ears, and let the ears breath then repost? Do I repost but make sure I do not tape around the wound?

· Premium Member
9,166 Posts
You should never put tape over unhealed scabs. Can you post a picture?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it wasn't that it was too tight because I saw the breeder do the postings and when I took them off it wasn't a big hassle I think my moms boxer is to blame I think when I took my pup to my moms for the holidays the boxer was a little to excited and may have pushed the postings down into her face causing the tape to cut into the skin. The reason I think it was that is cause I heard the pup squeal like she got hurt. Well I took off the other posting and applied peroxide to the wound. When the sutures came off the vet told me to apply peroxide around the scabs and cuts left from the sutures removal so I figured it should be okay for this as well. Now what can I do for over night as the vet isn't avail till tomorrow?

· Registered
1,745 Posts
I don't even want to look at the picture based on the reaction from others here.

So I'll second the vet visit instead. In the future, a vet should be your go to for problems such as this one, better safe than sorry.

· Registered
105 Posts
when we got our latest rescue, we had to take down his taping for a few days because they became all smelly and oozing, and now his ears look awesome . We did this a few times during the course of a month or so. I felt like a bad mom because I didn't catch it the first taping. Good luck

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,650 Posts
Peroxide is not generally used much anymore except perhaps to do that first cleaning of a wound when there is a lot of organic debris, scabbing and dirt present, though there is some disagreement about its usefulness. It doesn't do much to kill bacteria, and may even slow down the healing process.
Do go see the vet definitely--but I would ask him what he would like you to do while you're waiting to see him for this kind of thing in the future.

· sadder but wiser girl
9,695 Posts
please don't blame your mom's Boxer or anything else - just deal with the fact that for whatever reason, there is green purulent drainage which is indicative of infection-fighting response. It is fine to clean the ears with 1/2 peroxide, 1/2 water, but then you must rinse all peroxide off with plain water (or, better yet, get a bottle of "normal saline" at the pharmacy, and use that to clean the area). you really need to see the vet, and don't post or tape or do anything with the ears until they have healed some... then find someone who knows how to post ears without damaging delicate skin tissue - not hard to do!

· Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,837 Posts
poor puppy.

i wonder if the tape got wet and shrunk a little.......

maybe from the Boxer mouthing the taped ears?

if the tape ever gets wet you must take the ears down, dry well and retape.

Hope all goes well at the Vet's.

Hugz to your puppy.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Personally I would use Saline to clean the wound, then dry thoroughly and let the air get to them to help them heal.

I would also take him to the vets, he may need a course of anti biotics.

Hope he heals quickly and isn't in too much discomfort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.