Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used greenies with ALL of my other dogs (my chi treats them like a cat would catnip hehe). Anyway I was wondering when a puppy is the appropriate age to chew greenies? I'm super over-protective must do everything right with this puppy. So for those of you that use greenies with your dogs/pups when what age would you consider it appropriate to give greenies?? I'm open to other options but would like to know the pros/cons of your opinions please:)

Thank you in advance fellow DT'ers :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lestat- thank you for the article I've never personally had those problems with greenies, but now that I'm aware I will not be purchasing this product for my little guy. I appreciate you taking the time to find that article:)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Definitely not worth the risk imo. There are lots of things dogs love that aren't good for them. Many many sad articles on how treats kill pets so I don't risk the dangerous ones for my pets. I used to feed the chicken jerky, rawhide, and greenies to my cocker. My vet put a stop to the greenies after telling me about the multiple issues they had had with pets dying from them. Rawhide was my own choice as I did research into the subject and then the chicken jerky has been in the news alot lately. Now my dogs get sardines, fish oil capsules (suckers think those are treats!), and raw knuckle bones as treats and they love these more then they ever did the other potentially life threatening treats.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the idea of the fish oil capsules!:)Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it:) Do you think 10weeks is ok in reference to giving knuckle bones?:)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Would not feed Greenies to our Dobes. NO Pros for me. Some of the ingredients are good. Some of the others like Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity) are C--P.
If you want your dobes to chew on something. Deer, Elk Antlers. They also help clean teeth. Raw meaty bones a couple times a week will also help clean teeth.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I really like the idea of the fish oil capsules!:)Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it:) Do you think 10weeks is ok in reference to giving knuckle bones?:)
Ten weeks old is fine to enjoy big, raw knuckle bones.

Fish oil is a supplement, not a treat (although dogs may regard them as treats). It is fine for pups to have a bit of fish oil, but I would worry about them maybe choking on the capsules. I would poke the capsules with a pin, and squeeze the oil on the food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts