Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never had a litter obv. and do not know what color their eyes are when born but I assume they are brown. Can there be a green eyed doberman? Or is this lady totally full of ****? Stupid craigslist
doberman

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
They can be born with one color and as they Get older they change, same with humans. Mist likely they won't stay that deep green when the pup gets older, it will fade and or change color.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Lots and lots of red doberman puppies have green/yellow eyes as young pups. You *hope* they'll darken up, as eyes are supposed to be as dark as possible, and yellow "bird of prey" eyes aren't at all desirable.

In a lot of cases the eyes do darken up to brown over time, but sometimes they don't. My experience has been if there's a dark brown ring around the outside of the iris, the eye will darken up, although it won't be a fast process. If there is no dark ring, the eyes will probably stay greenish/yellow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting! Thanks for info guys. I know poor puppy looking for home on craigslist when its still baby :(

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Lots and lots of red doberman puppies have green/yellow eyes as young pups. You *hope* they'll darken up, as eyes are supposed to be as dark as possible, and yellow "bird of prey" eyes aren't at all desirable.

In a lot of cases the eyes do darken up to brown over time, but sometimes they don't. My experience has been if there's a dark brown ring around the outside of the iris, the eye will darken up, although it won't be a fast process. If there is no dark ring, the eyes will probably stay greenish/yellow.
This ^^^

I've seen some gorgeous fawn puppies with amazing blue eyes and some reds born with yellow/green eyes. It could very much be true that these pups have green eyes.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
You *hope* they'll darken up, as eyes are supposed to be as dark as possible, and yellow "bird of prey" eyes aren't at all desirable.
No Cheryl, NOT the "look of eagles" it's the "look of seagulls" LOL

Reactions: Murreydobe

·
Registered
716 Posts
Kira is a red doberman, she had GREEN eyes for a long time :p They are golden -yellowish now

Look at her lil' pig-pig ears... this was in-between stiches and posting... Aww

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Kira is a red doberman, she had GREEN eyes for a long time :p They are golden -yellowish now

Look at her lil' pig-pig ears... this was in-between stiches and posting... Aww
Bella used to have green eyes like that when she was little too. She has some beautiful eyes as a yearling now and I hope they dont change anymore! They are gold, a little brown and a little green in them!

Reactions: HerMewMew

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the picture! I figured this person tried to say green eye dobie to make it sound beautiful but it's true! Figured it had a mix in it. I have never got chance to meet a dobie with light eyes

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks for the picture! I figured this person tried to say green eye dobie to make it sound beautiful but it's true! Figured it had a mix in it. I have never got chance to meet a dobie with light eyes
What kills me is these crappy breeders advertise it like it's some kind of selling point, when in reality light eyes are a fault in this breed.

And, knowledgeable breeders of course know pups are generally born with blue eyes, and as already mentioned, the eye color changes and (hopefully!) darkens to what it is supposed to be, as the pups mature.

Gue$$ they already have their purcha$e money by then, though.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hmmm...thinking I have heard of some wz dobermans having green eyes. There was a girl here telling me she knew a guy who had a green eyed dobe. I didnt believe her, then later I read about wzs keeping their green eyes as adults.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My Neytiri and Pandora had the mos beautiful blue eyes when they were babies..I used to sing to them.. Blue eyes, baby got blue eyes...I just loved the color..
They did turn to the dark amber/brown color reds should have in time...

Reactions: HerMewMew

·
Registered
463 Posts
My red pup had gorgeous green eyes when she was small... They quickly changed to dark brown :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hmmm...thinking I have heard of some wz dobermans having green eyes. There was a girl here telling me she knew a guy who had a green eyed dobe. I didnt believe her, then later I read about wzs keeping their green eyes as adults.
Green eyes don't have anything to do with being z factored. It's just something that happens occasionally with red dobermans. While it may occur more frequently in byb litters, due to the fact these breeders aren't choosing AGAINST the trait, it's certainly not at all unheard of in well bred puppies, too. You just don't see that many well bred puppies whose eyes stay green being shown or used for breeding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts