Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you all know i have two dobes. my female wasnt diagnosed with vaginitis but the vet did a smear and said she thought that is what it was anyway....

well my male has the same greenish discharge on top of which they both had crystals in their urine... not sure what it is from...

ive seen this before but we always changed the diet from whatever they were eating to something better for that condition....

but im not sure what to do except continue the meds... but does anyone have any ideas what to do for the future?

thanks guys

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'd get a second opinion, if this has been going on for a while, and you aren't getting any answers as to what it is. Did your vet even have a best guess?

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that hers was vaginitis and his was normal discharge male dogs get... and the crystals she didnt tell me because i am using science diet on them so she said it wasnt food... and it wasnt water what the hell could it be... that is all that goes in them... so really i think she is screwed up in her head

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Run do not walk and get a second opinion. I think it would be worth your money. I have had girls with the problem but not boys.. My male gets a little yellow discharge sometimes and that is normal.. just a guy thing! I really would try a different vet just to make sure! Good Luck
Dobermans Rule!

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you want to try something natrual try grapeseed extract or grapefruit seed extract. they are both natrual antibactrical and fungus and mold and it won't hurt them.
Ann

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
feed it to them? i think that is a great idea i like that much better. because meds only mask the problem thanks ann..

thanks frzn... you all are exactly right.... thank you so much...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
whiteandblue said:
that hers was vaginitis and his was normal discharge male dogs get... and the crystals she didnt tell me because i am using science diet on them so she said it wasnt food... and it wasnt water what the hell could it be... that is all that goes in them... so really i think she is screwed up in her head
If they both have crystals in their urine then they both have UTI's, no? Science Diet does help to prevent those but it has to be the c/d not just maintenance. if you have well water it could be that. You can give them distilled. You will need the antibiotics to clear up the infections if that is what they have. Grapeseed extract will not work. After they have cleared up Solid Gold sells a product called Berry Balance that I give my boy who is prone to UTI's. He is now on a high quality, non prescription diet and hasn't had a UTI in over a year.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
whiteandblue said:
feed it to them? i think that is a great idea i like that much better. because meds only mask the problem thanks ann..

thanks frzn... you all are exactly right.... thank you so much...
Meds will clear up the problem, then you can go holistic to prevent the problem.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
*agrees with coals mom*

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i found out yesterday my breeder sold another dog to someone up here and when they arrived in seattle they had no crystals after being here a short time they developed crystals in their urine. and they had to take them off tap water even though it is city water and put them on purified/distilled water... they are both on meds right now. and they are peeing alot more than usual... which is understandable... and im taking them off science diet as soon as i get all the meds given to them.. they are going to have to go on holistic or raw with distilled water...

but i would like to get a second opinion... on the greenish discharge....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you ever heard about dalmations not breaking down soemthing right(maybe protein,can't remember) and it shows up as crystals in teh urine I think. Maybe they could have a problem digesting something that is to rich in their diet.

*Just thought I'd mention it. I don't know much about it but it wouldn't hurt to look into.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm have heard of that... i wonder what though... i mean they eat science diet and the occasional chicken they steal off the table LOL.. and sometimes some yogurt? well not sure but i will check that out see what they are eating other than the water that may cause that thanks joce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts