Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So since Gunner has been having some issues with house manners lately, I called in my trainer for a private evaluation and lesson at my house. What was supposed to be a one hour lesson turned into a four hour planning and brainstorming session :) Basically she evaluated Gunner where he is now, and concluded this. He is very intelligent, has very high drive, and needs a job. Although he get's plenty of exercise, we need to figure out a way to work his mind too. He's getting into trouble because he is looking for a job. She suspects he has working lines somewhere due to so his overall personality and the way he learns. I've been told he comes from working lines, but having no proof of that, I haven't told her that. We are starting again with very basic solid obedience and will build from there. She wants to definitely work to getting his CGC this year, and then work towards competitive obedience and tracking. I'd never considered tracking, but she did a few things with him and he was definitely interested in it. She also thinks he may be suited for schutzhund which is really exciting. I'm not putting any expectations on him at this point though. We will work hard and are going to do weekly training sessions as well as several public outings with her. We will do our best and see where it leads :) It's nice to hear though such positive feedback though and she said several times that he's one of the nicest and most balanced dobermans she's every seen :nicejob:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yea, this breed diffidently needs mental stimulation. I have taught Odin to wait in the kitchen while I go hide a treat and then I go to him and tell him to find it. He loves it, I hide treats in various places and when he was getting the hang of it I then taught him to show me a sign that he found it and I did that by having him sit.

I also bought a ball where he has to figure out how to get his kibble out of it, he adores this as well. Whenever he can't get out and he has some cooped up energy I teach him a new trick. The other day he learned how to crawl in about 30 min all together. I do about 10 min sessions, so that he stays interested. If he starts to get to frustrated then I move to tricks that he knows.

When we do the find it game and it starts to get to easy for him I am going to switch of scents from treats to maybe essential oils or something.

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Such nice complements on Gunner...sounds like you have a great trainer, to work with.
Great stuff proud Mom !!

I also think tracking would be fun, something I never thought about...before joining DT / maybe with my next pup.

When you get into the off-leash OB (more advanced)...it will require your dobe's eyes to be glued on you.
- Amy and I could practice it for 15 minutes one time or 45 minutes the next time / she never grew tired of formal OB training
Offers great mental stimulation, as the dog has to stay completely focused, on the handler & avoid all distractions...that can arise.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Good for you and Gunner as you have a good trainer who can evaluate the dog!
So Gunner is from the working dog line. This makes sense: how he bahaves these days.
Elza is from the show dog line. What she is good at is to look herself smart and pretty when SOMEONE sees her:lol2:
She's not good at figuring out where the treat is hidden. I prepared the three cups, I put the treat in one of them and flipped down. She couldn't get the game!
Unlike her I think Gunner likes this kind of game. Why don't you try it:nicejob:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback :) I welcome any and all suggestions for working his mind and giving him something to do besides getting in trouble. I got Gunner as a pet only and had intended on doing obedience but nothing competitively. Tiffany (my trainer) thinks that with hard work, he could be titled though and he definitely shows a very strong interest in tracking. We were training in my backyard and it was dark. She lost her clicker at one point and just told me to get it back to her when I found it once the sun was up. About two minutes later, we noticed Gunner sniffing around and he found the clicker, brought it to her, and sat for a treat :D He learned pretty quickly that it meant good things ;) I'm very excited about his training now and very motivated to take him to his full potential. I will get some pics of our next session.

Okay, any feedback on this issue? His biggest problem now is his attention span...well lack of :rolleyesww: We are doing lots of little obedience sessions throughout the day to try and build on that. Once you get his focus, he's amazing. BUT, getting him to settle down and pay attention is a challenge. Obviously a lot of that has to do with him being a 10 month old male, but any tips or games to improve his attention span? Once we get that figured out, everything would be a lot easier. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Have you thought about Rally Obedience. It's not as strict in the sense that you and your dog work together as a team and you can talk to your dog during the exercies. It's a more relaxed setting.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
A lot of his attention span will come with age but now is a perfect time to work on his understanding that he listens to what you say, when you say it.

Fiona was a spaz for quite a while. I worked on "look" while watching t.v., for training with distractions I took her to dog friendly stores and worked on basic obedience I *knew* she knew (so there was no reason for her to not follow through on a command if she were listening), I used every opportunity of friends/family coming over to work on some obedience for a few minutes before she got to greet them, also...I know you have a private trainer but I kept enrolling us in classes at my training club. In a group setting the dog has to learn to tune out other people, dogs, and activities and focus on you. That was super helpful, IME.

Reactions: Jenny and OliviaB

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you thought about Rally Obedience. It's not as strict in the sense that you and your dog work together as a team and you can talk to your dog during the exercies. It's a more relaxed setting.
My trainer actually does rally obedience with her German Shepherd (along with a lot of other things) so we will explore that for sure. I like the idea of a more laid back setting. Obviously he's neutered and won't be bred so even though putting a title on him would be cool, my biggest desire is to give us something to do together that uses his mind and gives him a job :) He seems to really love learning so I think that anything fun and challenging he will be great at.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Vader and I both enjoy rally more then obedience. I think he likes that I can talk to him. We have a great class that we go to with a fun group of people and dogs. I have really enjoyed it. We will hopefully finish his RA soon and then his RE. But both of love agility. He really enjoys agility and it so much fun!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vader and I both enjoy rally more then obedience. I think he likes that I can talk to him. We have a great class that we go to with a fun group of people and dogs. I have really enjoyed it. We will hopefully finish his RA soon and then his RE. But both of love agility. He really enjoys agility and it so much fun!
I am interested in agility too...that is the one thing my trainer doesn't do much of, but she has some people she works with who could take us to that level if that ends up being the direction we choose. There is SO much I would love to try with him. I just have to chill and focus on baby steps lol. We are working hard at establishing great manners and solid obedience and work up from there. Rally does sound like lots of fun although to be honest, I'm not as familiar with it as other things, but I'm open to learning. We are aiming to get his CGC in May so that is the first goal. She is a CGC evaluator so that helps....she knows exactly what he will need to pass :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts