Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyones dobe love to attack the grass? Not just eat it...but attack it. It is the funniest thing...simon will sit there with a toy right next to him, acts like he is going for the toy and instead gets a HUGE chunk of grass...dirt and all.. and flings it all over the place! When hes done he has grass and dirt hanging out of his mouth and on his face. Then he just sits there and looks at me with this look and grass hanging out of his mouth...it always makes me laugh. As cute and funny as it is, I can't get him to stop and my poor yard is suffering. When he does it, I first started with NO, that didn't work so I made him sit, then moved on to lay down, then tried to distract him and lead him away, tried taking the toy away, then finally stopping play time all together. I am also worried because when we have to go home to see 'grandma' he often has to go to the neighbors yard because my moms yard is not 100% fenced in, and I never know what they have put on the grass, nevermind letting my dobe tear up her yard :) I will have to post some 'grassy simon' pics when I get them. Anyways, does anyone have anything else I can try to get him to stop???

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Tia had a thing about grass, when we moved into our present house the back yard is mostly patio slabs but i had a patch of dirt about 10 foot X 12 foot
so i grassed the section and i had it growing lovely,then came Tia the baby monster and she decided that the grass would be better inside the conservatory and promptly dug it up in lumps and moved it indoors,that section is now gravel and she still see's fit to move it around now and then.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Oh yes, they can't be happy just to eat the grass...they have to pull it up by the roots fling it around and eat it....dirt roots and all. This is why my 2 now wear Greyhound muzzles when they are in the yard. If I had not started with the muzzles, we would have been putting a lot more seed down today. Our house is just 3 years old and we have been in it for 2 years now. Getting a nice grass yard is taking a lot of work and we refused to have them tear it up. The soil in SE Pennsylvania is rock and clay...awful stuff.... it is a labor of love to get a nice yard going in new construction where the builder strips off the top soil and sells it when starting a new subdivision. I think my husband would have had 10 heart attacks if I had not done the muzzles over the winter.... they tear it up bad enough just with their running around like lunatics.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java has taken a liking to the wild garlic/chive grass that has sprouted up all over the yard. I try and keep her away as I have heard that anything from the onion family can make dogs anemic. I tell you there's nothing like a Dobe with garlic breath!!

I sympathize with you Velmadobe, we are in a similar situation - new house and lots of clay. Former owners let the yard go, as they were both in their 80s and in poor health. 'Grass' looks fine from the road - just don't get too close. Will have to strip it off, lay down better soil and seed. And let's not even get into the fact that the deer eat everything in sight...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Grass???? What's grass??? I look back at old photos of our beautiful lush green back yard with such hazy, fond memories.....and then we adopted Jeddah. It's the 100 mile an hour, feet tearing, skidding, sharp changes of direction, that appear to have turned our back yard into a dirt race track. Ah well, I was never much of a gardener. :sadcry:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yea I live in the country and have moles if thats not bad enough my Dobe tries to dig to get the mole.lol oh well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts