Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! :) I know I have gone for some time. I have been very busy. I am working about 50 to 60 hours a week now. Maybe when work slows down and I slow down I will be on here more.

First of all I taught Gracie a new trick. This one is kinda stupid but means so much to me. I can now get her to lay down and roll over all the way onto her back. With her legs sticking up. She is afraid to do it with anyone else but me.That is how her past owners would tie her up. They would put her on her back and grab her legs and tie them up. So I finally got her to roll over on her back and I can play with her legs. I pet them and move them around. I was so proud of her when she did it on command I started to cry. :D This is one of the things I have been working on since day one with her. After 2 years she will just now do it. :)

We also went over to my brothers house last week, we were talking about getting her nails clipped again. I told him I hate getting it done because she freaks out. So he told me that he clips Ginger's nails (his dog) all the time. So I figured okay, Gracie knows him and trusts him no big deal. I was way wrong. I asked her to shake so she did and I was showing him her nails. He pulled her paw out of my hand to look and she freaked. She started shaking and pulling away and then when she got her paw loose she ran away and tried to hide. So I called her back over and told me brother to ask her to shake. He did and she put up her paw. We decided not to clip her nails because there wasn't enough people there to hold her down.

Also I am on new medication which gives me more energy then I know what to do with. So I get home from work and change, go outside with Gracie and run around the yard with her. We also play tag a lot now. We run around the table on the deck and I touch her and say you're it. So I run around the table until she tags me with her nose. So them I chase her around the table and yard. She gets so excited about this game. :D

She has also had an accident in the house once again. This time it was only pee. It happened early this week when we were getting a lot of rain. I took her out when I woke up and she wouldn't leave from under the over hang of the house. So I tried throwing a few toys out in the yard, a stick, a ball. Everything. She just kept giving me a look of "Well go get it you idiot, it's wet out there, I will melt." So she came back in a went potty in the house. :( Thank God we are getting new carpet within the next couple of weeks. :) :)

Pictures, I have some on my camera if I knew where I left my camera I would gett he pictures off of them. I take it into work a lot to show of my girl so I might have left it there or at my mother in laws or my brothers or some where. :emo8:

·
Registered
288 Posts
She must have really been abused to take so long to trust you . keep working you have her trust now. excelent work.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
HI YOU!!!! I was just inquiring about you in the shoutbox!!! That's amazing news about Gracie's newest trick!!

Glad to hear you are well, although working TOOOOO MUCH! We miss you around here.

BTW, it is about time for new Gracie pictures too! You're not going to get off that easy;)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
GM that is wonderful news about Gracie. even those little milestones are really HUGE with a rescue.

Molly totally freaks when we do her nails (actually they have never all all been compeltely done at the same time) If jason tries to hold her she fights even more.

she got some anti histamines today at the vet, that have just knocked her out, and she has been walked and we played a while in the yard too, so I am thinking about giving them another go. I can't tell which she hates more the dremel or the clipper.

But congratulations to you and to Gracie. She is such a little gem, and I hope you are giving yourself a big hugg for doing such a great job with her.

cc

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi GM it's good to hear from you,we all needed some Gracie news.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. Today when I get home from work I will take a few more pictures. Then I will post some pictures of my sleepy girl.

Did I ever tell all of you that she gets a little upset if you wake her up before 8am? I just woke her up to go outside and she lets out this growl kinda noise. It isn't a growl it's more of a tired but has to go potty noise. It's so funny.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java lets out that same little growl when she's tired. It's not an aggressive sound it's more like a 'do I HAVE to get up NOW??' growl/moan/sigh. Must be a Dobe thing!

I can appreciate that rescues have to be treated with extra care, and changes progress in baby steps. Forcing scarey things on animals (or children) only sets things back. Have you considered trying to get Gracie used to a Dremel (sp?) tool. My hubby uses the sanding wheel on Java. Our breeder had started using the tool on the pups, and when Java came home, he would set her in his lap hold the running tool in his hand and feed her bits of treats with the other and praise her. Nothing was forced, and mind you, she had been exposed to the drill from day one. Now when she sees the Dremel case come out, Java runs over, scoots back toward hubby's lap, flops herself down, leans back and enjoys her mani/pedi. You would think she had a spa appointment! I started out buying dehydrated lamb lung treats (@ WalMart), and Java would only get these treats as a special reward for having her nails done.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Rommel does the growl/moan thing too! I think it is so funny, Its like he is saying "Gosh mom don't you know I need my beauty sleep" lol

We are glad that you are back, and don't let it be so long that we don't hear from you!

Awesome news about Gracie's latest trick! I think you made the right decision in not trimming her nails, it sounds like she was really scared and you have just gotten her trust.

PICTURES!!!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thats great about her trick GM!! Sounds like she is trusting you! Keep up the work with her.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Toenails when I had my Bouvier & could walk we walked 3 times a week at the park on cement he never had his nails done they were filed down naturally by all the walking we did. When my health problems started up had to take him to the vets to get his nails done the vet tech's 2 of them had to tag team his butt to do his nails.
I now take Buddy,Patches & Gizmo all the vet once a month get everyones nails trimmed wish I could afford every 2 weeks for Buddy & Patches they get a little long before the month is up but not too,too bad.
Patches Mom

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Glad you checked back in and the progress you are always making with Gracie. That is good news. Its sometimes a long struggle back when they are tainted by others. Good work....

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Patches Mom said:
Toenails when I had my Bouvier & could walk we walked 3 times a week at the park on cement he never had his nails done they were filed down naturally by all the walking we did.
I find that I have to do nails regardless of our daily long walks. Dobermans have "cat-like" feet, which means their feet are tight and when their nails can touch the pavement and be filed, they are far too long IMO. Here is a picture to show an example, even though they are sinking into the carpet, you can still tell

And Gracie's mom, I am happy you are feeling good and your Dobe is too, more energy is always good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts