Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Gracie is going into the vet this morning. We will find out if she can have the tail surgery or not. If she can they will take her from us and do it this morning. If not then I'm not really sure when we will have to do. Please pray for her or keep her in your thoughts today!

Thanks...

I will update as soon as I get home!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Gracie and you are in my thoughts and prayers today. Hope it all goes well, but I know it will and you and Gracie will be happier and just one more reminder of that "so called" life she had before you took her in will be gone forever.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Goodluck to Gracie for her surgery. Goodluck to Mum as well, I'm not going to tell you not to worry.....because you will anyway. *hugs* to all.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we are back. We have been back for a while. I ate something this morning that has made me feel really bad...

Well they put Gracie on anti-depressants. They really believe that it is a mental imbalance. We are going to try the medication for 1 month, if that doesn't stop the problem they will do surgery and another month or 2 of the anti-deppresants. I will be praying that all of this will help my little girl out!.

On a side not, after we walked into the office, a woman walked in with a HUGE bag of dog food. She took a look at Gracie and almost started crying. She asked us if she could pet Gracie. Her doberman died a few weeks ago from old age is the only thing they could find wrong with her dobe! Her dobe was 9 years old. And she said that Gracie looked just like her old dog. I felt so bad for her. My husband talked to her, I couldn't. I knew if I were to open my mouth I would start crying. So I kept my mouth shut. :( She kept hugging Gracie and crying. She kept telling Gracie thank you and that it is a sign for her to get another dobe! I really feel bad for that woman. :sadcry:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vet I had looked at it, poked at it and did everything to the beauty queen that he could. He said that he couldn't really tell one way or another if it's hitting nerves. We asked him what he would do in our shoes with all the info we gave him. He said he would try the medication first. He said if that doesn't work then there is still plenty of room for him to re-dock. He said that with rescues that doesn't always help. Because of their past is so bad sometimes that this is kind of a comfort thing to them. Does that make any sense at all?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Because of their past is so bad sometimes that this is kind of a comfort thing to them. Does that make any sense at all?
Yes it does. I knew of a rescue dog that had lick granulomas up his entire front legs because he'd never stop licking them. His legs looked like one giant black scar, no fur just scar tissue. He was found as a stray so no one was sure of his backround but it was obvious that the poor fella came with some baggage.

What kind of antidepressant did they put Gracie on, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Well we are back. We have been back for a while. I ate something this morning that has made me feel really bad...

Well they put Gracie on anti-depressants. They really believe that it is a mental imbalance. We are going to try the medication for 1 month, if that doesn't stop the problem they will do surgery and another month or 2 of the anti-deppresants. I will be praying that all of this will help my little girl out!.

On a side not, after we walked into the office, a woman walked in with a HUGE bag of dog food. She took a look at Gracie and almost started crying. She asked us if she could pet Gracie. Her doberman died a few weeks ago from old age is the only thing they could find wrong with her dobe! Her dobe was 9 years old. And she said that Gracie looked just like her old dog. I felt so bad for her. My husband talked to her, I couldn't. I knew if I were to open my mouth I would start crying. So I kept my mouth shut. :( She kept hugging Gracie and crying. She kept telling Gracie thank you and that it is a sign for her to get another dobe! I really feel bad for that woman. :sadcry:
Poor lady. I have been in her shoes and I just had to pet every Doberman I saw. Life just isn't the same without one!
Hope Gracie does well on the drugs.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
Yes it does. I knew of a rescue dog that had lick granulomas up his entire front legs because he'd never stop licking them.
Lick granulomas are common throughout the breed, they're not something you're just going to see in rescue dogs. I don't think it has as much to do with emotional baggage as it does the ability to assimilate stress..and that's a temperament issue.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dobe_Paws said:
What kind of antidepressant did they put Gracie on, if you don't mind me asking?
She was put on Clomicalm. So far I haven't seen a change, but I have also been at work and she has only been on it for 2 days. So I can't expect to see sudden changes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
She was put on Clomicalm. So far I haven't seen a change, but I have also been at work and she has only been on it for 2 days. So I can't expect to see sudden changes.
Scoob was on Clomicalm for a bit for SA. If my memory serves me correctly it took about a week and a half to start 'working'.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
SA=spereration anxity right? Gracie doesn't seem to have seperation anxity at all. She curls up and takes a nap while we are gone.
Yep... The pills helped keep him calm so he wouldn't destroy the house or hurt himself while we were gone. I hated the idea of him being medicated but I needed a quick fix so to speak, til I could find a way to get his SA under control.

I'm happy to say that he's been off the pills for 10 months now and I come home to a happy, relaxed dog.... and a house that's still in one piece. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts