Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We aren't really sure what happened. We think it could be several differant things. Number one, she was playing with sticks today. At one point she wacked the side of the garage with the edge of the stick in her mouth. I called her over to me and checked her mouth and teeth. Nothing was bleeding, she didn't try to pull away when I touched the area nothing...

I also cleaned out her pool today, bees love the pool. So I wonder if she got stung but she would have made some kind of noise right?

We were also thinking that maybe when she was playng with the stick and my neice at the same time maybe she bit her lip.

I did call a vet. The emergency vet, told me to just watch her and if it doesn't go down by tomorrow afternoon to call her regular vet and take her in. They said sometimes things just happen. They said she is still a young pup and still gets hurt every now and then.

Then I went outside to get her water dish, if was all red inside. So I called my mother-in-law to ask her if Starr poured some of her red pop in her water dish. Starr said she did and that she was sorry. I told her that I wasn't mad I just needed to know before I rush her into the E.R. vet. I was about ready to but I figured I would ask. :)

I have some water freezing in the freezer right now and I plan on putting that in her water in the morning. Maybe it might go down some with some ice?

I will update tomorrow. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Might not hurt to pop her a couple benadryl just in case it was a bee sting - it'll help the swelling go down if it was that.
Once when Storm was about 6 months old I took her for a walk and for some reason looked down at her and all of a sudden she looked like a Shar-Pei instead of a Pit Bull. Her whole face and her lips were sooooooooo swollen! Then she started to stagger. I picked my 50 pound puppy up, ran home and rushed her to the vet where they gave her benadryl and shots of steroids. Their best guess what that she had gotten ahold of one of the many poisonous catterpillars here on the island.
Let us know how she's doing. Poor girl, not fair to have such a fun day end on a sour note...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I don't know. In the past when Cole has gotten stung his whole muzzle would swell up, not just a lip.
I agree with the vet to just watch her and see how she is doing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also forgot to add, she doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. We can touch it move her lip to look at her teeth and nothing. I figured she wouldn't eat her dinner because of it, but she ate every last bit and asked for more. She has also been drinking like normal.

I would give her some benadryl but we never use it here. I did ask if I could give her asprin or anything. They told me not to give her anything unless she seems to be in pain. They said why medicate if there is no reason to at this time. I still might go get some tonight and give it to her.

I guess she is no longer allwed to have any fun. Every time she has fun she ends up hurt at the end of the day. So no more fun for her. She now has to be a couch potatoe and a bigger love bug. I will need to grow more arms for that one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It sounds to me like she very well may have gotten a bee sting. I know that when I get a sting on the foot it can swell the whole foot but it is according to where I get stung, there have been times that it only swells a certain area, so I think it is possible to only swell one part of her face and not all of it from a bee sting and also could make a difference in what kind of bee, ie. yellow jacket, hornet, wasp or bumble bee.

Glad it is going down, she will probably be back to new in a day or so. Benydryl might be a good thing to always have on hand.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Sounds like a bee to me also,just keep an eye on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts