Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay these are NOT my pics, all credit where credit is due, to someone named Ten Blue Stars (don't know her)

I was browsing google looking for general crop info and ran across this dog who came in to be cropped. While the back story is the owners just wanted their dog cropped (who looks too old, IMO) I think it's pretty clear that they posted the dogs ears and they collapsed under their own weight. Yeeeessshhh.

I have actually heard of this being successful with Pit Bull Terriers, and lighter eared breeds. Obviously, this didn't work. O_O

Have you ever seen anything like this that wasn't posed as a joke? Is it always a failure? Poor dog.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere with a an uncropped but posted dobe that was successful... I think the general consensus was "ew". It looked a bit like a Pharaoh hound, but not in a good way.

Posting is done in a number of other breeds even when cropping isn't done, Bull Terriers, Maliniois and German Shepherds are some that come to mind (when their ears aren't standing erect like they *should*).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor dog? I'm pretty sure the dog doesn't care if his ears look goofy ;)
LoL alright, I was anthropomorphising a bit ;) I know he doesn't care how they look, but they're right in his peripheral vision :( Yep, I'm aware scent and sound are more important to a dog, but really. It just seems like a failed experiment to me. What's worse is it looks like he's way too old to be having his ears cropped ....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a thread on here somewhere with a an uncropped but posted dobe that was successful... I think the general consensus was "ew". It looked a bit like a Pharaoh hound, but not in a good way.

Posting is done in a number of other breeds even when cropping isn't done, Bull Terriers, Maliniois and German Shepherds are some that come to mind (when their ears aren't standing erect like they *should*).
Was this the pic?

I thought it was altered... if you look at the space between the dogs ears, it looks edited.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Honestly... we've seen crazier ears here and I doubt those were posted... anything is possible, however.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly... we've seen crazier ears here and I doubt those were posted... anything is possible, however.
You don't think they were posted? To me they just look so heavy that they never would have done that on their own. I can't imagine crazier ears, lol

Georgie, I think that girl has beatiful ears! :angel: The tail threw me for a second too though! :roflmao:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
There is a doberman on this forums that has ears that do wild and silly things just like the one in that picture. The one in the pic you posted probably just had good strong cartilage!

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those definitely look more naturally stood to me, the ear looks lighter in general (but the dog looks like a mixed breed, cutie anyway of course.) but also very possible they were posted too. Cute dog overall, but,... not very "Doberman"

Off topic... geez that thread turned into a nightmare fight thread! I hope that doesn't happen here, this is not a secret anti-crop agenda, LOL, just wanted to share.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Bless, I think he looks beautiful no matter what angle his ears are at.

Toby's ears stand up all by themselves, (he is not cropped) especially when he is interested in something or there is a high wind lol. We call him Bat Fink (don't know if you know of the cartoon character by that name but this is who Toby reminds us of) when he does it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Whose a pretty girl!!!:nicejob:

I have a bitch from one of my litters whos ears are small, neat and high set.. as per the UK breed standard states.. however half the time she takes it a little too far and stands them up. They have never been posted but will stand like this easliy or flop half way down when shes relaxed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts