Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guinness chews on sticks all the time. they may be his favorite thing in the world. he also ingests alot of the stick. hes over a year old now and has always done this with no obvious signs of this being a problem. does anyone know if this poses a particular danger?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
guinness chews on sticks all the time. they may be his favorite thing in the world. he also ingests alot of the stick. hes over a year old now and has always done this with no obvious signs of this being a problem. does anyone know if this poses a particular danger?
It could pose a danger... practically nothing is absolutely guaranteed to be risk free. That said, my dogs pretty much always eat sticks for dessert after dinner and I don't worry about it at all. On occasion, a fragment will get stuck between teeth or a length will get wedged across the roof of the mouth... both of these will cause some distress/aggitation but both are easily remedied.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Our boy thinks he is a goat. I worry about it sometimes because he eats grass roots and dirt. No matter how hard we try to break him of this habit we have not had any luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guinness must have a stronger stomach then, because from our previous experience I would assume another gastro upset would occur if mine did that. Magnum about a month ago ingested something he shouldn't. It caused gastro upset for days. Magnum wanted to eat, refused to drink on his own and we kept him hydrated by syringe , and when we fed him his body rejected it immediately after he finished his dogfood. This freaked us out so we rushed him in to see Jezbera. He took x-rays, gave him a dose of medication that did its job in pushing along the blob that was pointed out to us. Next morning we came back for another xray. It was reviewed and we were told it should be out by this evening or next morning and surely it did. It ended up being a little hair mixed with some things you find out in your backyard. We slowly transitioned him back onto his dogfood from his temporary bland diet and everything went back to normal. Magnum is the same way as Rush he likes the dirt and grass too. We taught him that it is wrong to dig, but he still tries. How old is Rush?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My puppy loves to chew on sticks. I was really worried about her swallowing pieces and causing a tear in her intestines or something equally dangerous. I bought her some Safestix from Leerburg. I think its a much safer alternative. She fetches and chews on it. Might be worth trying for your dog.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Our boy thinks he is a goat. I worry about it sometimes because he eats grass roots and dirt. No matter how hard we try to break him of this habit we have not had any luck.
Why would you try to break him of this habit? I thought dirt and roots were two of the food groups LOL!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My puppy loves to chew on sticks. I was really worried about her swallowing pieces and causing a tear in her intestines or something equally dangerous. I bought her some Safestix from Leerburg. I think its a much safer alternative. She fetches and chews on it. Might be worth trying for your dog.
Maybe kinda cool for some dogs, but ain't nothin' made of rubber that has that je ne sais quoi that makes sticks so appealing and satisfying to dogs. I would personally (with my dog, at least) be more worried about rubber ingestion than stick ingestion.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
My old girl Amber used to love eating wood & it never did her any harm.
Ellen, a labrador I once knew used to eat it all the time & she never suffered any problems either, she loved the stuff so much her owner used to call her Woody Ellen :D

On a side note my first Doberboy Eddie used to love chasing sticks until the day he jumped over a ditch with one & ripped a hole inside his throat. Needless to say he never had sticks again. Sticks can & do cause injuries, please be careful how you let Guinness play with them. I would hate for him to get hurt.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Yeah I knew a one-eyed Kelpie, and a one-eyed Dobe that lost their eyes in stick related accidents.

My parents had a friend with a Bull terrier that was killed chasing a stick, one end landed in the ground and he ran into it, he was dead by the time his owner got to him. Freak accident, but so scary!

Elsie chews sticks, but I am very careful about throwing them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts