Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a lot of discussing between my husband and I. We decided to stop using the prong on Bruno. Although he was very well behaved using it....he was losing his fur and I had noticed some red marks on his neck. Which was strange because we didn't really have to "pull" when he had it on. So instead of searching for the rubber parts. We decided to try the haulti. At first I was not wanting to use this. Becuase I hate the fact that it looks like a muzzle. Not only that, but strangers will think when we're out that it is a muzzle and that it might be okay to approuch him.

Anyway--we've had nothing but success with the haulti. It works very well and Bruno walks excellent with it. With no harm done to him at all. Although he does try to take it off a few times during our walks LOL But other than that it's worked great for us :)

Does anyone else us a Haulti?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Luv_my_Bruno said:
Well, after a lot of discussing between my husband and I. We decided to stop using the prong on Bruno. Although he was very well behaved using it....he was losing his fur and I had noticed some red marks on his neck. Which was strange because we didn't really have to "pull" when he had it on. So instead of searching for the rubber parts. We decided to try the haulti. At first I was not wanting to use this. Becuase I hate the fact that it looks like a muzzle. Not only that, but strangers will think when we're out that it is a muzzle and that it might be okay to approuch him.

Anyway--we've had nothing but success with the haulti. It works very well and Bruno walks excellent with it. With no harm done to him at all. Although he does try to take it off a few times during our walks LOL But other than that it's worked great for us :)

Does anyone else us a Haulti?
I wouldn't use a Halti (or any kind of head halter device) with a breed as prone to cervical disc problems as dobermans are.

Here's a good article about them: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
ITA with Murreydobe.

You mentioned "pulling" on the prong. When used properly it should just be a quick "pop". Maybe you should have a trainer evaluate to see if you are using it correctly?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BackInBlack said:
You might look for a curogan prong collar. From what I understand some dogs are allergic to the others. http://www.signaturek9.com/shop/pro...id=10&osCsid=573771d92f1dfcbf7b13135a62ccffe3
This is exactly what I thought. Because where he was red, looked kinda hive like. And he was losing all his hair. Now with his allergies to his food. I wouldn't put it pass him being allergic to the prong either LOL

I will look at the site about the halti's. But we are quite content using it now, and he walks wonderful with it (always a loose lead).

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Halti

Murreydobe said:
I wouldn't use a Halti (or any kind of head halter device) with a breed as prone to cervical disc problems as dobermans are.

Here's a good article about them: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html
I agree totally. Trainers and handlers that I have met over the years all have said no way to a halti on dobies. I have used prongs for all my dobes and never had a problem. I would look into the quality of the one you bought, (no offence) there are some out there that are so sharp. I think if they come with rubber tips to be placed on in case that to me might mean they are on the sharp side. I might be wrong. Ask a trainer in your area to look and see if it is a proper fit that might be why also it is leaving marks. Good luck with what ever you decide for your big handsome guy.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This prong is not sharp. So I know that's not why he was getting the welts. After reading BIB post. I believe he is allergic to it. It explains a lot. Because he walked really well with it on, so I couldn't imagine it digging in him. Plus with the hair loss, it just seemed weird that he'd be losing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts