Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reminded the other day about a funny incident that happened last summer with Apollo, and I wanted to share. :)

I pulled his leash out from the closet I keep it in and he immediately got all excited and jumped around, turn circles, and play bowed. After wrestling his head still, I snapped on the lead and headed for the door. But as I was pulling the door shut behind me, the leash slipped out of my hand, and off he went down the street!

I was horrified because I'm really overprotective when it comes to being outside, and I've never let him loose outside a fence. I was so shocked that I didn't even think to shout his name, and I stood frozen as he crossed a fairly busy street at the end of the block.

I started running after him, but by the time I got to the intersection, he was already on the other side, happily trotting along the same route we usually take for walks. I called to him, but I don't think he really heard me, and he kept going like nothing was wrong.

I ran back to the house to grab the car keys, and when I jumped off the curb to go after him, I saw Apollo standing on the other side of the intersection staring at me. The expression on his face was priceless! If he could talk, I swear he would have been asking "Aren't ya coming?"

HA! I about died when I saw that he realized I wasn't with him and came back for me! :sweat:

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you get into a situation where the dog takes off & you can yell his name & lay down they usually will come back to see what happened to you. But do not do if it if they would cross a busy street or be put in harms way.
Had my two Bouvier's in a field at the Fairgrounds one time years ago was fenced in on three sides. Of course they were running & playing headed for the unfenced area busy street a little ways down. I called them they were too busy playing so I yelled their names & laid down I almost got trampled in their hast to get to me to see what happened to Mom. You can only do this maybe once or twice then I do not think it would be effecive?
Patches Mom

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am glad that he didn't keep running or get hit. I think I would start working on my recalls for situations like that. Atleast he knew his route.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Thank you

Patches Mom said:
If you get into a situation where the dog takes off & you can yell his name & lay down they usually will come back to see what happened to you.
You can only do this maybe once or twice then I do not think it would be effecive?
Patches Mom
Thanks for the tip, will use it, I am sure along the way. If not now with my dogs in the future.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I've had something similar to that happen 2x's. The first time, we were walking out the door, I turned to shut the door and push Petri (the chihuahua back in) and Chi hit the end of the leash, pulling it out of my hand to go after a man who was approaching out yard. He was terrified and jumped on the trunk of my car to get away from her. I immediately called her and she turned and came right back to me. I thank God that she has such a great recall :) For a long time there was a running joke in our neighborhood that Chi likes Japanese food to go.
The other time wasn't so long ago. We were out on a run when a dog ran out after us. It was tied but it got awful close to the side walk before it hit the end of it's chain. Chi startled and I immediately pulled her closer to me. But we just kept jogging. It was probably 1/2 block later when I realized something was wrong. Her collar (a prong) had come undone and was just basically laying over her shoulder. Now on the rare occassion that we use the prong, I have the leash hooked to a slip collar as a back up :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh it is so Scary when the dog get away..We had a poodle once that Mom would walk around the corner every night.. that dog was so accustom to walking around the block starting to the North that you could not get her to walk the oppisite way no matter what you did.. never had to use a leash on her for years.. but I guess that is what you get for going the same way everyday for 14 years.. LOL

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had this happen to me. I was just starting to work with sade with recall. We were out at the college where I used to work visiting with my dobe owner friend and when we were leaving the clip to her collar must have gotten twisted and it snapped free (it was one of those quick clips like a D-ring). She ran all over the place, it was he instant zoomies. I just about had a cow. She didnt come when I called her she would run right by me at full speed (hadn't worked with destractions yet). I ended up having to lie down on the ground and squeak her squeaky and she came right over and started to nose me like "Hey, hey, hey mom? Hey mom? You ok?" lol Crisis averted. Luckily it was late in the afternoon and no one was really there and the road was quite far away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
DreamDoby said:
I am glad that he didn't keep running or get hit. I think I would start working on my recalls for situations like that.
I would also add the Long Down (with the hand signal of you reaching toward the sky, which should be unmistakable to the dog) to the list of obedience commands to work on. If your dogs is off-leash, sometimes you need to put him in a Down in the spot where he is standing, NOT have him run back to you into possible danger. When I work on the Long Down, I treat him with the most scrumptious food possible when I get back to him.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Sounds like a potentially dangerous siuation.

One of my show friends had this happen with an untrained Dobe, he ran off, so she yelled "cookie, are you hungry, here's a cookie", the Dobe came back right away so she could grab him.

Mine are trained from a very early age on recalls in various safe places and are never let off lead around roads (not worth the risk-accidents are just that accidents-they aren't "suppose" or "planned" to happen).
I believe recalls are one of the most important things they can be taught.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
His recalls are good, I honestly think he just didn't hear me. And he doesn't pull hard on the leash, he just got away that day.

But I will work with him on the Long Down signal, it might come in handy. Thanks for the advice.
Of course, that means trespassing onto a baseball field since we have no dog park within a 50 mile radius... but we'll manage. I see people with their dogs there all the time, and they never leave it dirty (thank goodness) or else they might start locking the gate.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
Sounds like a potentially dangerous siuation.

One of my show friends had this happen with an untrained Dobe, he ran off, so she yelled "cookie, are you hungry, here's a cookie", the Dobe came back right away so she could grab him.

Mine are trained from a very early age on recalls in various safe places and are never let off lead around roads (not worth the risk-accidents are just that accidents-they aren't "suppose" or "planned" to happen).
I believe recalls are one of the most important things they can be taught.

Haha!! If ******* is being a knuckle head in the backyard (fenced) and does not want to come, I say the same thing "Are you hungry??" "Where's your dinner?"

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That reminds me of when my pittie's pinch collar broke one day on a walk about 3 years ago. She literally looked at me as if to say "yippee, i am free" and took off like a bat out of hell....running in circles as if she had been let out of prison. I FREAKED!!! And she is trained, but she had a moment if I have ever seen one. Running in circles in the middle of the street. My neighbors all ran out to help me and then it dawned on me that only one thing would work - and that was to call her name and run AWAY from her....and she chased after me as if it was a game right back into my house. Funny now, not so funny when it happened.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Their expressions are priceless. I have heard people say well there just dogs. I have to respond "Well apparently you have never met a doberman." I would have loved to see his face looking at you like that. :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
tjmom said:
Their expressions are priceless. I have heard people say well there just dogs. I have to respond "Well apparently you have never met a doberman." I would have loved to see his face looking at you like that. :)
LOL! I couldnt agree more.

Patches Mom - Thats a great idea. I will have to remember that too.

·
Doberman lover
72 Posts
I have found that running in the opposite direction draws them to you very quickly. I use this method when training recall, it works very well. Dobies are velcro dogs and really want to be with you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts