Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to clicker train with my lab but that was 9 years ago so I'm a little rusty. I've taught diesel sit, down and stay with a clicker but I want to make sure I'm doing it right and when do I stop giving treats for it? I want him to be able to sit and go down without needing a treat. Also any suggestions on how to teach come? What else can be taught with clicker. We will be starting class in march but I dont want to stop his training till then even if he'll learn all this later.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also state that when I get his treats out that are just for training he automatically sits and it's so hard to make him do anything else. Any tips for that? He thinks he's either suppose to sit or lay down.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
What do you want him to do?

It's great that he sits for treats. This is something I reward.

I should also state that when I get his treats out that are just for training he automatically sits and it's so hard to make him do anything else. Any tips for that? He thinks he's either suppose to sit or lay down.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you want him to do?

It's great that he sits for treats. This is something I reward.
I agree. I love that he sits so well but when I try to get him to come he doesn't get it. I think maybe cause I'm not teaching him correctly how to come so he automatically sits or lays down because he knows those are good behaviors that i want and give treats for.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
He doesn't know what come is yet, it appears.

Put him on a leash. (I used to sit on the floor/ground while teaching this)
I allowed him to wander out to the length of the leash.
I would then say "Sammy, come!" in an excitable, happy voice.
When he ran back to me, I said "YES" and immediately gave the treat. You can also use the clicker as your marker, instead of YES.

The click and treat or YES and treat has to be a fluid motion. Practice for a few minutes a day.

Make sense? :)

I agree. I love that he sits so well but when I try to get him to come he doesn't get it. I think maybe cause I'm not teaching him correctly how to come so he automatically sits or lays down because he knows those are good behaviors that i want and give treats for.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He doesn't know what come is yet, it appears.

Put him on a leash. (I used to sit on the floor/ground while teaching this)
I allowed him to wander out to the length of the leash.
I would then say "Sammy, come!" in an excitable, happy voice.
When he ran back to me, I said "YES" and immediately gave the treat. You can also use the clicker as your marker, instead of YES.

The click and treat or YES and treat has to be a fluid motion. Practice for a few minutes a day.

Make sense? :)
Makes perfect sense! I never thought to put a leash on him to help cause he's always so focused on me when we train but when I bring his leash out he goes nuts cause he knows what that means so maybe that will help him move around a bit so I can teach him come.

Thank you so much for you're help :D

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Remember that if you click you must give a treat. If the dog knows the behavior by word only....sit or down for example you can wean them off the click and then just click/treat less often for that behavior. At your pup's age I'd be treating just about everything he does correctly!

Good "come" command advice above. I also casually teach come when the pup is already milling around the yard and starts to come toward you anyway- say "Fido come" in an excited voice, lower yourself more toward puppy height, and have a party when he gallops into you. You can mix up having a treat, or having a toy in your pocket and whip it out for a little tug game. The pup should think coming into you is the best thing in the world.

Also just go out and play very casual retrieve the toy games with such a young pup. wears them out and they love running after a toy you throw. If they play keep away, have a 2nd toy with you for an exchange as they come toward you.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That video was perfect! Exactly what sam&macksmom explained! Can't wait to try it out later.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remember that if you click you must give a treat. If the dog knows the behavior by word only....sit or down for example you can wean them off the click and then just click/treat less often for that behavior. At your pup's age I'd be treating just about everything he does correctly!

Good "come" command advice above. I also casually teach come when the pup is already milling around the yard and starts to come toward you anyway- say "Fido come" in an excited voice, lower yourself more toward puppy height, and have a party when he gallops into you. You can mix up having a treat, or having a toy in your pocket and whip it out for a little tug game. The pup should think coming into you is the best thing in the world.

Also just go out and play very casual retrieve the toy games with such a young pup. wears them out and they love running after a toy you throw. If they play keep away, have a 2nd toy with you for an exchange as they come toward you.
Great ideas. We will try them as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have success! The leash worked amazingly! I'm so proud of him now we just have to keep it up. I even took the leash off and he still continued to do what I asked! Very proud moment.

Now how do I teach him to not bite for a treat. I use the word easy with my lab. Any advice on that? My hands can't take much more biting. I look like I got in a fight with a tiger haha

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Yeah! See that. Dobes are soooooo smart.

I teach the 'easy' command for taking treats nice. You can use whatever word works for you. Some use "nice" or "gentle". Again, I sit on the floor as to be at their level. Present the treat, if he looks like he's ready to shark attack the treat, I quickly retract my hand and say "easy". Then repeat the exercise. Present the treat, if he shark attacks, retract and immediately say "easy". Be sure to praise or mark the good behavior; YES or your clicker.

I like to hold the treat with my fingers and not place it in my palm because I want my dogs to have a soft mouth when taking food.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah! See that. Dobes are soooooo smart.

I teach the 'easy' command for taking treats nice. You can use whatever word works for you. Some use "nice" or "gentle". Again, I sit on the floor as to be at their level. Present the treat, if he looks like he's ready to shark attack the treat, I quickly retract my hand and say "easy". Then repeat the exercise. Present the treat, if he shark attacks, retract and immediately say "easy". Be sure to praise or mark the good behavior; YES or your clicker.

I like to hold the treat with my fingers and not place it in my palm because I want my dogs to have a soft mouth when taking food.
They are super smart. He's caught on to so much so quickly. I just needed to learn how to do it to help him.

I use easy as well. What do you look for when you treat them? I want him to not shark attack my hand which seems to be his favorite thing to do haha. I use my fingers as well and he tends to take my fingers in his mouth with him when he grabs it.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I will tell you how I taught the basic puppy commands, without treats:
- might be a nugget to share

All through play games, sitting on the living room floor...controlled space and at pups eye level.
Sit and Down first (at 8 weeks old), no bribes / never got mixed up, or repeat an anticipated command
- she just locked in the 2 early commands

Next we went to "Amy Fetch" at 9 weeks old...and I added the "Amy Come" as well.
- Fetch to get the rolling ball or tossed frisby, lightly directed to the exterior wall
- once the toy or prize was mouthed & picked up, immediately said "Amy Come"
- once the two commands where competed, we had a play secession of toy tug
(this was all the motivation required, and it built 100% eye focus...I teach COME in the FETCH game)
- then practiced the Come command without a toy fetch

Then outside off-leash will a ball and did the Fetch/Come again...many times & much fun.
If the come command was ignored, a thin 20 ft. nylon rope was clipped to her collar.
Gave the command, reeled her in...with much love & prase given, at my feet.
At 3 months old, Sit / Down / Fetch / Come...was pretty much routine...and these 4 basic commands never got mixed up...not even in the beginning, of training.
- and the play fun learning, fostered the desire to do as asked and please me...with early reliabilty

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Most/all puppies will shark attack a treat, almost a given, until they learn the "easy" command. With Sam I knew he would shark attack because his mouth was open, eyes fixated on the treat. I presented the treat and as soon as he was ready to clamp down on my fingers, I quickly retracted and said "easy". Waited 3-5 seconds, presented treat again.

He soon associated that the treat went away if he wasn't "easy" with taking it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts