Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest gal, London, is about 12. She has always been thin, even when I first got her at about 2 years of age as a rescue, but over the past few months, she has lost even more weight. Vets all say she is fine, nothing wrong with her, just a fast metabolism and a high activity level. But I'd really like for her to put on some weight at this point. I know it's got to be cold going outside to go to the bathroom when she is so thin and has no insulation. I'm trying to think of things that I could add to her food to give her a good source of fat. I was thinking eggs? I also thought of canned fish, but isn't fish pretty lean? Any other ideas? Increasing food, trying many different foods, etc. have never made very much of a difference in her weight. She is a picky eater and sometimes eats like a bird.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Have you tried Satin Balls with her? Try Googling it for the recipe. They are used to put weight on.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of satin balls, but I thought they were more of a "quick" fat putter on-er, not a permanent dietary supplement.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I would still add eggs and fish just for the beneficial nutrients that will be supportive for her!
I'm also a great fan of chicken frames for improving coat condition and weight...but not all dobes can tolerate them.

·
Super Moderator
21,683 Posts
The Trippett canned green tripe is a big hit with my dogs and could be a good source of extra, quality calories.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Trippett canned green tripe is a big hit with my dogs and could be a good source of extra, quality calories.
I've just started giving Koa some of this to try (so far he loves it!) and get a little weight on - he's younger, but so so active that he's always teetering on a *tad* to thin. It just smells SO BAD.

·
Super Moderator
21,683 Posts
I've just started giving Koa some of this to try (so far he loves it!) and get a little weight on - he's younger, but so so active that he's always teetering on a *tad* to thin. It just smells SO BAD.
It's doggy crack to Shanoa. I use it in food tubes for training classes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's doggy crack to Shanoa. I use it in food tubes for training classes.
I had put some inside an old hollow bone we had and froze it - my thoughts were that he'd get a high value treat, some good calories and it would be a time-comsuming chew... but as it started to thaw it almost made me gag! Now I just give it to him in his dish, the extra 20 minutes of him being occupied aren't worth the smell!

Hard boiled eggs - - I should try that too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts