Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things have been hectic here. Between the broken finger (still mad at myself for being so stupid), taking the Brownie troop camping over the weekend, finishing off my final papers (they're done!!!!), studying for finals and adjusting to Zyban (thursday is my "quit day", wish me luck and say a prayer), I've just been nutty. But through it all, I've still be consistently working with both dogs - we're now walking loose lead on flat collar for Chi and harness for Petri with no serious incidents - a major accomplishment!
I had to board them both on Friday night because of the camping trip and was extremely nervous. Not so worried about Petri, he doesn't interact with the kennel workers - when they enter his run, he retreats to his vari kennel and hides until the coast is clear. Chi, on the other hand, was a wild card. I honestly had no idea how she would act. I was honest with the staff about my concerns and her fear problems, left my cell number and stressed for them to call me if there were any problems, I was only going to be about 30 minutes away. I'm happy to report that my cell phone did not ring once and that when I arrived to pick her up, they said she was fine. She was standoffish when they entered her run to feed her but was happy when she realized they had food :)
At first when they approached her to take her out to the exercise yard she retreated to the back of the run and growled. Nervous, the staff went to get the manager of the kennel (one of the two obedience instructors on the island - the nicer of the two but I still don't agree with her training philosophies). Tracy knows Chi since we've been hanging out at her classes to work on distractions and socialization. She said that Chi was fine, a little nervous but quickly warmed up when she realized who she was and that they were going for a walk. She did report that Chi walked nicely but kept poking her hand with her nose. I explained she was probably expecting a c/t for behaving so well :)
She is definately a momma's girl though. I think that Tracy's feelings were a little hurt that although Chi accepted her when I came to pick her up, she wasn't all wagging nub and kisses with her - her attention was completely on Jordan and me :) I am so relieved. A little concerned that she growled but not entirely surprised, it was a completely new experience for her and she was rightfully a little unsure.
They have reservations to go back for a 2 night stay in 2 weeks. Now that I'm more comfortable that she won't eat anyone, I'm more comfortable leaving them to go camping (unfortunately dogs aren't permitted on the beaches and camp sites). Mark will be home (finally home for more than a few days, he'll be home a whole 6 weeks before he has to leave again :) and I think the best way for us to unwind from the past 4 crazy months is to veg on the beach with a cooler of bud light :)
On a completely different note. Yesterday when I went to make their reservations, a guy came in to surrender his dog, Elvis (strange name for a female). This kennel run by the base and also doubles as a stray facility and shelter. Elvis had such skin problems, her feet, muzzle and legs were all very red and irritated with no hair. Her nails were curling under and some were embedded in the pads. She was such a sweet little dog, probably a Basenji mix (she had a basenji head and face). He just walked in and was so callous - "I've been trying to find her a home for a week and we're moving in a week. What am I going to do with her???" I don't know why or how I kept my mouth shut. The kennel didn't have room for her and I don't think the girls really noticed the dog - in all fairness to them, they deal with idiots like this several times a day. They asked if she was current on her shots and spayed and the guy looked perplexed, "I don't know, I think so... maybe..." How can you not know??? He was obviously mad about the answers he got and left.
I'm so mad that I didn't speak up and tell them that I would foster her until they had room. I could have easily kept her in our kitchen or spare room for a few days until the kennel had a room or we could find her a home. At least I could have trimmed her nails and got her started on meds for her skin condition. Sorry, just had to rant about that idiot for a second, I feel so bad for that poor baby. Sad thing is, that her chances of finding a home are so slim with such skin problems, she really looked awful.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow, good news for Chi, it was a positive experience for her, and I think her future trips will just be even better. I bet she was glad to see you though!

What a shame for the Basinji mix....poor thing.... I hope a home pops up for it. I wonder how much of it's skin problem may be very simply treatable. I mean, could be just flea allergies, food allergies, mange, and list of things. Of course it could be worse too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good Job Chi and Petri. :) I am so happy to hear that the mean evil doberman didn't come out while at the kennel. Did the two of them get to shack up together atleast?

I am so sorry to hear about Elvis, maybe you can go back and offer to foster the poor girl for a while? Please keep us posted. :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
As if mygirl would misbehave,So glad she was good, it's nice when you know you can leave them with some one else, relieves the stress a bit.
As for Elvis,I am just not surprised at what some people do to dogs anymore,
it was probably too taxing for his braincell to get the dog help.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Great news for Chi and Petri....Little Chi is growing up.......Sounds like it was very positive experience for her for her first time......Now, how was it for you? a little separation anxiety, maybe....How many times did you think that the reason they didn't call your cell was because Chi got out and took out the whole staff, the local SWAT team had the building surrounded and the negotiator was trying to make contact with someone inside. Petri was standing over the phone barking away because he couldn't pick it up without thumbs and Chi peering out every window planning their escape while waiting for the helicopter to come to take them to the local airport, where a fueled plane was waiting for them, to take them to an unknown destination. Maybe once.....LOL.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kratty said:
Great news for Chi and Petri....Little Chi is growing up.......Sounds like it was very positive experience for her for her first time......Now, how was it for you? a little separation anxiety, maybe....How many times did you think that the reason they didn't call your cell was because Chi got out and took out the whole staff, the local SWAT team had the building surrounded and the negotiator was trying to make contact with someone inside. Petri was standing over the phone barking away because he couldn't pick it up without thumbs and Chi peering out every window planning their escape while waiting for the helicopter to come to take them to the local airport, where a fueled plane was waiting for them, to take them to an unknown destination. Maybe once.....LOL.

LOL, I'll admit that thought did cross my mind a couple times :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts