Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone, my name is Bill, we are looking for a new Doberman puppy. We've had large breed dogs (German Shepards) for some time....any thoughts on reputable breeders in and around northern CT that have good family dogs (that will also protect when needed) who will be reasonable in cost? Would consider a rescue also as we feel that should be evaluated too! Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Not sure what you consider "reasonable in cost" as Dobermans from good breeders are quite expensive. The average cost for a pet puppy from a good breeder will run you about $2500 cropped/and docked. Start with the DPCA breeders list. There are some good breeders up your way.
If you really don't want to spend that kind of money, then I would consider looking into rescue rather than supporting a bad breeder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

And yes, definitely consider a rescue because there are so many dogs in need of a good home. Max is our third rescue since 1996 and he is a great dog, obviously there is an adjustment period but no worse then "suffering" through Doberman puppyhood (done that too).

If you worry about "reasonable" please consider that buying a dog is just the tip of the iceberg, especially with a Dobie. I just spent about 300.00 plus over the last two month to get a seasonal allergy in check. That is not counting 40.00/month for heartworm, flea/tick preventive and joint supplements. Quality dog food is expensive as well as boarding when we go on vacation. I am not complaining because we do whatever it takes to make sure our boy is healthy, happy and taken care off. It is fair to say that all in all it is about 200.00 average per month.

I am probably preaching to the choir here since you had GSD's who have their own issues like HD, etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's well worth the money to get a pup from a great breeder who is doing their part to better the breed than get a cheaper pup from someone just looking to make money without putting thought into the dogs they breed or what comes of the puppies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts