Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so for MANY years I have always wanted a pup from Del Nasi Kennels and I finally got my chance to own one amazing pup who's sire is Zedor and grand sire is Fedor. But after many messages I have recived from different people apparently Del Nasi it not thier "choice" breeder so I am just asking to see what other people think would be a good Euro breeder.

I will not settle for American I just dont like the temperments and really dislike thier looks. I am looking for a male pup Black & Rust with fully cropped ears.I really loved Fedor and although he only lived 7 years he was the most handsome Doberman I have ever seen in my life.

Know I know that some have said to be careful about Cardio issues in these Euro Dobermans but honestly NOT one dog is perfect and NOT one person is perfect and with that being said if the dog does so happen to end up with Cardic issues and only live 7 years I am ok with that.

WHY? you ask well becuase my son is just over one and has had 3 heart surgeries (cardic issues) and well I am not about to just say he wasn't worth it becuase of his heart problems and for me the Doberman would be the same way I guess and part of the family.

So with that being said I am very interested to see what kennels people think are the BEST in thier opinion because in mine Del Nasi is amazing.

Thanks

Del Nasi Fan

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Wow...where to start?

I don't know enough about the del nasi kennel to tell you about any cardio issues in their lines, but how can you say you are OK with a dog only living to 7 years old? Surely you want a happy, healthy dog as well as one who looks the part? Why would you support someone who is not breeding for longevity?

Saying that you really dislike the looks and temperaments of American dogs is both rude and ignorant. It begs the the question; how many well bred American dogs have you met? And how many we'll bred euro dogs have you met? Or are you just going by what you've read online?

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
I'm lost for words that you would be ok with your dobe only living to 7 years of age. As the owner of a 7 year old dobe dying before my eyes from DCM/CHF I find your comment tasteless to say the least.
Being rude about American dobes here won't win you many friends either. A dobe is a dobe wherever lines it came from IMHO

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I can't tell whether your honestly searching for opinions or just out to throw a fit from some pm's.

I am not PERSONALLY a fan of del nasi for many reasons, something which is fine, everyone likes different things, no need to insult an entire countries dogs.
I am not personally a fan of eastern european dobermans for first and foremost the lack of health testing in this day and age, different countries and continents than here yes, but western europe is still able to make the changes and better the health of the breed or at least try and I just dont see it in the east, I also see them churning out litters like popcorn at a packed movie theater and again, personally, I dont like it.

That being said, del nasi for the most part is seemingly well regarded in europe(at least the east) and they do actually do things with their dogs (aka showing) which is good, If your happy and ready for the possibility of heartbreak then go for it but stirring up trouble with a thread like this won't get you very much credibility or like around here...

·
Registered
907 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying you'd love a dog any less because it had DCM or any cardio issues just like you don't love your son any less. But, you didn't buy your son and support someone promoting the genes responsible.

The difference being that breeders have a huge bag of scientific knowledge and testing that they can do that can assist in making the choice whether or not to breed a certain dog or not. You didn't "breed" for your son's inclination toward Cardio problems. Humans don't usually base "breedings" on health factors like those, though they can if they choose to. But most dog breedings are conducted with a few specific aims in mind-- health, longevity, performance, conformation and looks. Rarely is the breeding set up with romance or family in mind, so I don't think it's fair to equate your unconditional love for your son with the less-than-stellar mate choices of a dog breeder.

As to whether the looks and temperament of a Del Nasi dobe is "worth it" as you put it, just be prepared for the possibility that your dog drops dead of cardio problems in front of your son.

That being said, there are plenty gorgeous, well bred, longer-lived dogs from European-based lines that have transitioned to the U.S. Beware that there are many "Euro-Greeders" as we call them here that will tout their prestigious international or European Champion status to demand an inflated price.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow...where to start?

I don't know enough about the del nasi kennel to tell you about any cardio issues in their lines, but how can you say you are OK with a dog only living to 7 years old? Surely you want a happy, healthy dog as well as one who looks the part? Why would you support someone who is not breeding for longevity?

Saying that you really dislike the looks and temperaments of American dogs is both rude and ignorant. It begs the the question; how many well bred American dogs have you met? And how many we'll bred euro dogs have you met? Or are you just going by what you've read online?
I am not going to explain again why I am ok with a dog only living 7 years if that is as long as he does live it would not matter to me at least he lived 7 years :D and I would enjoy every minute.

As for looks and temperment I will never settle for an American because I don't like thier looks #1 at all they are too skinny and tall with much weaker mustle tone and not what I picture a Doberman being and yes I have met several Americans even owned one and thier temperments I do not prefer due to the fact they are not as bold and protective I like the working line better where Americans were more bread for the Show Ring. I am sorry this is not RUDE it is just my opinion and I am sure you feel the oposite as I see you own American but I would not think you are rude lol I am not saying they are all like that but unfortunatly they do all have the slimmer body and head which I dont really like at all I prefer the stalkier dogs.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
"I really loved Fedor and although he only lived 7 years he was the most handsome Doberman I have ever seen in my life."

First off Fedor lived to 9 yeas he died 12 - 11. You can check it out for yourself so he lived an avg life span.

Regardless of what kennel you are looking at there will be those that love them and those that hate them. You have to decide for yourself what you like and don't and then stand your ground but at least have correct facts to start with so you can make a better decision.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You see I own an American Dobermann? :confused: LOL indeed... If you looked a little harder, you might see I'm actually located in Europe. Perhaps he looks slimmer to you because he is only 12 months old and I keep him at a healthy weight?

Good luck with your search.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think anyone is saying you'd love a dog any less because it had DCM or any cardio issues just like you don't love your son any less. But, you didn't buy your son and support someone promoting the genes responsible.

The difference being that breeders have a huge bag of scientific knowledge and testing that they can do that can assist in making the choice whether or not to breed a certain dog or not. You didn't "breed" for your son's inclination toward Cardio problems. Humans don't usually base "breedings" on health factors like those, though they can if they choose to. But most dog breedings are conducted with a few specific aims in mind-- health, longevity, performance, conformation and looks. Rarely is the breeding set up with romance or family in mind, so I don't think it's fair to equate your unconditional love for your son with the less-than-stellar mate choices of a dog breeder.

As to whether the looks and temperament of a Del Nasi dobe is "worth it" as you put it, just be prepared for the possibility that your dog drops dead of cardio problems in front of your son.

That being said, there are plenty gorgeous, well bred, longer-lived dogs from European-based lines that have transitioned to the U.S. Beware that there are many "Euro-Greeders" as we call them here that will tout their prestigious international or European Champion status to demand an inflated price.

Thanks for the insight but just to add I do not mind how much I pay for the "right" Doberman as I am willing to pay up to $5000 if that what is takes and for me TEMPERMENT comes first as we have 4 kids before longativity.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ok so for MANY years I have always wanted a pup from Del Nasi Kennels and I finally got my chance to own one amazing pup who's sire is Zedor and grand sire is Fedor. But after many messages I have recived from different people apparently Del Nasi it not thier "choice" breeder so I am just asking to see what other people think would be a good Euro breeder.

I will not settle for American I just dont like the temperments and really dislike thier looks. I am looking for a male pup Black & Rust with fully cropped ears.I really loved Fedor and although he only lived 7 years he was the most handsome Doberman I have ever seen in my life.

Know I know that some have said to be careful about Cardio issues in these Euro Dobermans but honestly NOT one dog is perfect and NOT one person is perfect and with that being said if the dog does so happen to end up with Cardic issues and only live 7 years I am ok with that.

WHY? you ask well becuase my son is just over one and has had 3 heart surgeries (cardic issues) and well I am not about to just say he wasn't worth it becuase of his heart problems and for me the Doberman would be the same way I guess and part of the family.

So with that being said I am very interested to see what kennels people think are the BEST in thier opinion because in mine Del Nasi is amazing.

Thanks

Del Nasi Fan

Fedor Del Nasi 11-23-2002 to 11-25-2011 9 years old

I don't know anything about him but if you do a search there are threads regarding him.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok all I REALLY was asking was what Euro Breeder you guys think is a good one as I prefer the looks and temperments of Euros vs American.

I am not trying to start any fights ;) just prefer my euros and well maybe it may be simply becuase I am a European hahaha :D

Thanks

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've seen skinny, lanky Euro Dobermans and fit, stocky American Dobermans. Generalizations generally (lol) don't fly around here in regards to the two standards. Also, some of the Euro Dobermans that are being shown border on overweight in my opinion. I do appreciate a well muscled, fit dog and keep my dogs on the thinner rather than heavier side.

By the way, past tense of "breed" is "bred", not "bread". That would be a food source.

Eta: the picture you posted above does not accurately portray the male NA Doberman.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Ok all I REALLY was asking was what Euro Breeder you guys think is a good one as I prefer the looks and temperments of Euros vs American.

I am not trying to start any fights ;) just prefer my euros and well maybe it may be simply becuase I am a European hahaha :D

Thanks

Thank you for a much more appropriate and clear way of asking the question, liking one style more than another is not wrong and perfectly allowable. There is a large amount of passion to the breed here and things can easily get out of hand when words are misinterpreted or statements are made in a less than clear or unintentionally offensive way. Hope you stick around :)

I personally prefer Joutnheims and they may be worth looking into, or again if your competent and happy with your decision to go to Del Nasi knowing what is more probable health and otherwise than say elsewhere, good luck and I can't wait for pictures regardless.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.