Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend a good overall book on Dobermans?

I am looking for history, grooming, training etc..

I am particularly interested in grooming and exercising.

At what age is it ok to let the Dobe start running hard. I have heard that running a puppy is not healthy until a certain age.

Also looking for feedback on two breeders:
Adlercrest and Betelges?

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
To answer you questions im not sure about the working out part.
As for Betelges they have some Excellent looking Dobermans there. EXCELLENT.
I heard that the guy from Adlercrest is very rude. I heard this from more than one person. Nice looking Dobermans though.
I know if you go to amazon and search for Doberman there are a few good books there. You can check out reviews on their site. I have two and one more on order. I have briefly looked over them so I cant really say if they are good or not.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
the doberman pinscher by Joanna walker and Rod Humphries is a good one, I would also recommend culture clash by jean donaldson - not specifically about dobes, but very very good and helpful.

cc

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Codysmom said:
the doberman pinscher by Joanna walker and Rod Humphries is a good one, I would also recommend culture clash by jean donaldson - not specifically about dobes, but very very good and helpful.

cc
I would highly recommend the same books.........I will add that one of my favorite books on dog behaviour is "The Other End Of the Leash" by Patrica B. McConnell PHD

As far as breeders go, I would have to ask you what YOU want in a Doberman and what you plan to with with it before I could even begin to talk about breeders. Anyone selling puppies with a big splashy website would raise an immediate red flag for me.

·
Banned
675 Posts
For one thing, Adlercrest is in California, but Betelges is in Europe, very different propositions as far as buying a dog. If you talk to Adlercrest try to talk to the wife, Linda, not the husband. Altho they use the same email so it's hard to tell sometimes which one you're talking to.

A puppy can have free running, that is as much as it wants to do, running, playing, what it shouldn't have is forced exercise, that is don't take it on leash jogging or things like that. It can go for reasonably short neighborhood *walks* on leash, but don't force it. Because until the growth plates close at one year or later the skeleton isn't fully formed and can be permanently injured by over exercising in puppyhood. Puppies shouldn't be jumping obstacles either.

A good book is the one by Zwan, called "In the Beginning", or something like that.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
velmadobe said:
I would highly recommend the same books.........I will add that one of my favorite books on dog behaviour is "The Other End Of the Leash" by Patrica B. McConnell PHD
I just bought this book! I also bought If Bones could rain from the sky, I just happened to start it first, so the other end of the leash is next :D

BTW- I also have read the book by Rod Humphries and would reccommend it. It also has some nice photos. So does "Doberman Pinscher" by Lou Ann Cloidt It is Published by Kennel Club Books www.KennelClubBooks.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah for Adlercrest try to talk to the wife or better yet avoid them and find someone else. There are a bunch of Breeders out there not just those two.

I just got today The Doberman Pinchser by Rod Humphries and Joanna Walker and its the best book I have seen. I also have Doberman Pinchers a comlete pet owners manual and a New owners guide to Dobermans. I listed them in order of which one I like best to least.

If you use itunes, there is a good show you can get for 1.99. Its a series called Breed All about it: Doberman
Its the episode about Doberman pinchers. If you use itunes go to the music store and type doberman for your search and you will see it. Its pretty nice to watch.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I too have "Doberman Pinscher" by Lou Ann Cloidt but here in England it is retitled just "Dobermann" it is very informative and has great pics and illustrations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to thank everyone for their opinions and feedback. Great information and a great website.

All the best

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you can find a copy, The World of Doberman Pinschers by Anna Katherine Nicholas is interesting. It's 600+ pages, tons of pictures and bios on a lot of the influential breeders over the years. It has sections on grooming, breeding, showing (conf., obed, schutz. etc) It was published in 1986, so it's a bit out of date, but worth the $$ just for the pictures.

It's out of print, but shows up on Ebay once in a while

·
Registered
107 Posts
Blackdog said:
It's out of print, but shows up on Ebay once in a while
I got my copy off of Amazon, try checking the "Used and New" section, they usually have it at ridiculous prices, but I managed to snag it when someone new posted a copy of it for cheap. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts