Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying Zeus is going to the vet for his annual check-up in the beginning of June so I will be picking the vet's brain then.

In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions for an at-home treatment plan for reducing/preventing further tartar build-up? Zeus had a bloat scare a couple of months ago due to being compacted from chewing a raw bone. After that the vet and I agreed that he could not have any more bones. However, after checking his teeth yesterday, I may be paying for this decision. His top molars have some tartar build-up, but his bottom molars are what bother me. They are pretty gross and there is even some build-up at the gumline. I immediately ran out and bought two raw bones and am letting his chew on them for 15 minutes to half hour at a time and following it with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin just as a preventative. I am also slowly attempting to introduce the toothbrush, but I am assuming I will not going to get very far unless I use some sort of toothpaste. Of course, he is allergic to EVERYTHING, and most products I have seen have chicken or beef in them, so I don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides just letting him chew on the bones? He is 6 years old and I am leary of putting him under to have this teeth done at the vet. As my husband says, maybe he wouldn't wake up. :( Any suggestions would be great. :thanx:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Would he chew on any non edible bones?
Like nylabones? there are lots of ribbed and dental specific varieties, and as for bones I know most are against them but I put a lot of effort into finding a good quality smoked beef bone and bison and it really holds up, never ever splinters, it grinds away instead. Never get pork! they DO splinter and break like crazy(ik you said he has allergies but just something to think about since idk what exactly he is allergic too). There are antlers too :)

Good luck! and I do believe there are some flavorless or possibly hypoallergenic toothpastes, it would just take some googling!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Can he have turkey necks? I ran across a decent deal and bought all they had. Once every two weeks or so, I give Parker 3 for his evening meal. I also give pork, country style ribs(lots of meat) or the smaller whole sides of ribs when I could catch them on quicksale. You do want to freeze any raw meat for three days before feeding. One pound is a meal for Parker at 81 lbs. What did you give your boy that he compacted?!? That would be very scarey!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If you feel comfortable try the raw while you watch closely. I do raw when the weather is nice and they can do it outdoors. Otherwise I give nylabones and watch them closely. I dremel weekly and when I dremel I use a tooth scraper and a toothbrush on all their teeth. The scraper makes the biggest difference though. I also spray one of the plaque off products that is basically plant extracts weekly.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I let my girls have raw bones as treats in their crates a few times per week. That seems to keep their teeth nice and clean so far.

Their vet is always surprised how nice their teeth look and she said she usually recommends teeth cleaning annually for her patients but Fiona is 3 and Tali is 4 and their vet says neither of them need it yet. Their teeth are still really white and they have healthy gums.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
My dogs tolerate teeth brushing even without toothpaste (though I do usually use it). Try a yummy treat afterwards and keep sessions short. Just start slow and build up. Also, be gentle!

There are some additives to water that you can try. Not sure how great they work, but even a little might help.

Reactions: Zeusy Boy's Mama

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of the suggestions. When Zeus became compacted a few months ago, he had chewed on a raw knuckle bone. Took over a week to get him back to where he a normal, and several emergency and regular vet visits during that time. I have tried to give him Nylabones and things of the sort, but he just looks at them and walks away. I have left antlers and nothing else out for weeks at a time and he would gnaw on them for a minute or so and then never touch them again. Since the condition of his teeth really startled me, I am giving him raw marrow bones and only letting him chew on them a half hour at a time. Remarkably, they have already made a big improvement in only a couple of days. So I will definitely continue to do that.

We tried to have him on the raw diet, but he is allergic to so many protein sources it was impossible to keep him in good condition. He is especially allergic to poultry products.

We are still working on having him be accept the toothbrush, it will just take a few sessions. By the time he is ready for me to actually brush his teeth, it will be time to see the vet so I can pick her brain about what products to try.

My hope is to avoid any serious gum infections or tooth decay where an extraction would be necessary. ((Fingers crossed))

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I have Bacchus lay on his side with his head on my thigh. I have a scraper that I scrape the buildup from his teeth. He is very tolerant of this. I don't think brushing alone will remove the hard stuff from the teeth. That usually needs to be scraped off using a dental tool that can be bought at any show. Even with this he will get some stuff under the gums. Be very careful you don't cut his gums with the tool....if you try scraping.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Since I have a Dachshund you get the small dog syndrome of bad teeth I have had Patches teeth cleaned then brush everyday I have used the following.Petzlife spray & gel,Tropiclean Gel they also have a foam but you really need to use a brush with it is the brushing action that helps get the Tarter off.If you miss the tarter accumulates fast it is a royal pain in the you know where to deal with. I also use the dental rinse in the water but may stop since the one I was using I cannot find any longer it was Four Paws brand now Pets mart has a bunch of products from Arm & Hammer I'm not so sure about them made in China I do not trust anything from China for my dogs. Since I have not used the Four Paws Dental rinse you put in the water Patches back teeth are getting tarter on them even with me brushing every day may have to go to twice a day.They say give a raw Turkey neck I gave Buddy one all he did is carry it around in the back yard ? I personally would not use a metal scraper on my dogs teeth the reason being you would put tiny scratches in the enamel of their teeth where bacterial would get in tarter too.When a vet cleans a dogs or cat teeth they use a metal scraper too.BUT they also use a polisher to polish the teeth which removes the tiny scratches.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I know only give Flirt beef rib bones and 100% supervised since she had the issue of swallowing the pork bones whole and eating about 1/2 cup of sticks which resulted in surgery. Also by feeding raw, I keep the kibble stuff off her teeth. She's 5 here and doesn't get the rib bones that often.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just saw a couple of liquid tartar control/removal products today at Petsmart. I also noticed a liquid you add to their drinking water. Haven't tried them but it's worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Be careful some of the new products at Pets Mart is made by Arm & hammer the gel,toothpaste,oral stuff you put in water and the spray are all made in China.I looked for a phone number also looked for away to contact Arm & Hammer wanted to ask questions about the new products never found away to contact them.

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but after using the product Plaque-Off over the past few months, I'm seeing good results and overall cleaner teeth. It's natural (derived from marine algae), and easy to use; you just sprinkle a couple scoops on their kibble each day.

Thakoon has always been given raw knuckle bones and bully sticks, which do most of the "scrubbing" work and keep his teeth pretty clean, and of course he loves them. I still found there were always a couple "problem spots" though, his lower canines along the gum-line in particular. Since using the Plaque-Off regularly, the stubborn spots have improved considerably. The product appears to work by softening already existing plaque, making it easier to brush away or be scrubbed away by bones, as well as altering the chemical environment in the mouth to reduce tarter build up before it forms heavy plaque. It took awhile to see results though; about 8 weeks. At that point, I increased the dose slightly, from about 2.5 scoops to 3 scoops a day. After that, the results really started to show.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but after using the product Plaque-Off over the past few months, I'm seeing good results and overall cleaner teeth. It's natural (derived from marine algae), and easy to use; you just sprinkle a couple scoops on their kibble each day.

Thakoon has always been given raw knuckle bones and bully sticks, which do most of the "scrubbing" work and keep his teeth pretty clean, and of course he loves them. I still found there were always a couple "problem spots" though, his lower canines along the gum-line in particular. Since using the Plaque-Off regularly, the stubborn spots have improved considerably. The product appears to work by softening already existing plaque, making it easier to brush away or be scrubbed away by bones, as well as altering the chemical environment in the mouth to reduce tarter build up before it forms heavy plaque. It took awhile to see results though; about 8 weeks. At that point, I increased the dose slightly, from about 2.5 scoops to 3 scoops a day. After that, the results really started to show.

The Plaque-Off is good. Also look at Tropiclean. We have the Gel. We put it on their teeth at night when they are not going to eat and drink anything.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts

Megs, how long does one container last you? I'm intrigued. Shanoa has great teeth, but Simon had to have a cleaning and two teeth extracted a few months ago. I'm brushing, but anything else I can do to help them out would be awesome.

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
Megs, how long does one container last you? I'm intrigued. Shanoa has great teeth, but Simon had to have a cleaning and two teeth extracted a few months ago. I'm brushing, but anything else I can do to help them out would be awesome.
In the beginning, I bought the small 60g size, just to try it out, but I was forgetful and inconsistent and stopped using it for awhile (as in a couple of years, lol). After reading a bunch more reviews, I was determined to give it a really good try, so I bought a 180g container (on sale, yay) and started using it at the beginning of March. I've missed a day here and there, and started off with only 2-2.5 scoops/day for the first 8-10 weeks or so. Then I started giving 3 generous scoops, probably around the end of May. It's hard to judge accurately, but it looks like I've used about half. So for one 80lb dog, giving 2.5-3 scoops average, I think 180g should last at least 6 months... probably closer to 8. Maybe even longer. I'll send you a PM when it's empty! :)

I just checked a product description and it's estimated that a large (50lb+) dog given 2 scoops a day should get about 3 months out of the 60g size. So 9 months out of 180g.

The Plaque-Off is good. Also look at Tropiclean. We have the Gel. We put it on their teeth at night when they are not going to eat and drink anything.
Thanks for your input, Stryker; I had a look at Tropiclean just now. It looks similar to a gel product recommended to me by a lady that does pet oral health care in my area (scaling and polishing, but no anaesthetic, with focus on prevention; she'll refer to a vet as necessary though). The product I use as a toothpaste or apply to the gums using my finger is this one: Oxyfresh Pet Gel. It's probably similar to the Tropiclean gel. MeadowCat, I'd recommend using an oral pet gel also, as the doggie dentist lady tells me it helps soothe and condition the gums :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Thank you for all of the suggestions. When Zeus became compacted a few months ago, he had chewed on a raw knuckle bone. Took over a week to get him back to where he a normal, and several emergency and regular vet visits during that time. I have tried to give him Nylabones and things of the sort, but he just looks at them and walks away. I have left antlers and nothing else out for weeks at a time and he would gnaw on them for a minute or so and then never touch them again. Since the condition of his teeth really startled me, I am giving him raw marrow bones and only letting him chew on them a half hour at a time. Remarkably, they have already made a big improvement in only a couple of days. So I will definitely continue to do that.

We tried to have him on the raw diet, but he is allergic to so many protein sources it was impossible to keep him in good condition. He is especially allergic to poultry products.

We are still working on having him be accept the toothbrush, it will just take a few sessions. By the time he is ready for me to actually brush his teeth, it will be time to see the vet so I can pick her brain about what products to try.

My hope is to avoid any serious gum infections or tooth decay where an extraction would be necessary. ((Fingers crossed))

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
I give very large knuckle bones, and as they get smaller they are taken away. In my opinion marrow bones are way to hard for their teeth, and I don't find they do as good a job cleaning teeth.

Jasmine is 6 years old and has never had a dental yet her teeth are perfectly white although a little worn down.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Obviously, after this pup's experience with a bone she's not going to want to give the dog a bone, even supervised. It's the old "fool me once..." thing. I know my vet clinic says it is not uncommon to have a dog come in in trouble because of a bone.

Someone mentioned, bully sticks, much safer and help keep teeth clean also.

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for you input. Well, the marrow bones, even with strick supervision, caused Zeus to have yet another stomach-related issue. It took almost a month for him to stop from being nauseous and get back to normal, so those are definitely out.

Due to his allergies, bully sticks are probably out too. When I did give them to him when I very first adopted him, they lasted a whole minute or so. Not so sure that would be helpful.

I am just brushing his teeth with plain water at the moment and it seems to be okay. Chewing on the bones really did get him to a good point. I went cleaning his old toy box and he found an old dental nylabone that he never touched. He took it and has been knawing on it on and off again for the past two weeks. So far so good.

Please keep the suggestions coming, I am open to anything. As long as I can avoid him ending up at the e-vet, again, or having to be put under for a dental, I'm a happy momma. :)

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 20 of 22 Posts