Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Good anti-fly/gnat product?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RedstarDog 
#1 ·
I am using Frontline as a flea/tick preventative for Zeus. We have tried Advantix and he broke out in hives. Of course, he is my delicate flower afterall. :lol2:

Whenever we are outside, he is hounded by small gnats and flies. They attack his ears and nub/bottom. I have tried using a diluted solution of Skin So Soft and surprise, surprise, he broke out in hives.

What do people use to ward off the nasty little buggers? I am even considering making him an ear net, and maybe a fly sheet that can cover his nub. Not sure how successful either would be. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome! :thanx:

#2 ·
I spray my dogs down with a home made mix and it includes skin so soft.. It does bother some dogs, I usually try again in a few days. Sometimes the first spray will bother them and then they'll adjust to it. Try more water to skin so soft, you want a small amount of skin so soft and lightly spray your dog. You can also try witch hazyel mixed with it which soothes the skin and bumps. I've always treated horses with it as well and it makes a world of difference.

#3 ·
I will have to try the Skin So Soft approach again. These bugs are terrorizing his ears and poor nubbin. He is brutally attacking both, and his poor nubin in particular is paying the price. Poor little delicate flower of mine. :(

#5 ·
I use this mixture (and worked this weekend great!)

Skin So Soft
Apple Cider Vinegar (with mother)
Listerine (I use blue, but I heard orange works too)
And some water

Put in to squirt bottle and shake well before using :)

#8 ·
Neem Oil.

You can get a spray that is for application to skin, it is supposed to be okay for delicate flowers like your Zeus but I cannot guarentee it won't upset him, however, it works for my boys and my big Terrier is a martyr to his rashes. I will warn you it doesn't necessarily smell too nice, but hey, it beats being bitten to death.

#10 ·
Here in South GA we have sand gnats that will drive you crazy. They are tiny and get everywhere...in your eyes, in your ears, up your nose, etc. We use a product that is all natural. I use it on humans, Gunner, and our horses. It smells really good too (lemongrass oil..yum!) and since it's all natural it's safe. It works very well.
Welcome to NoNatz! at www.nonatz.com   (powered by: www.webs-a-gogo.com)

#11 ·
Here in South GA we have sand gnats that will drive you crazy. They are tiny and get everywhere...in your eyes, in your ears, up your nose, etc. We use a product that is all natural. I use it on humans, Gunner, and our horses. It smells really good too (lemongrass oil..yum!) and since it's all natural it's safe. It works very well.
Welcome to NoNatz! at www.nonatz.com **(powered by: www.webs-a-gogo.com)
I HATE gnats! I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the link.

#13 ·
Another organic option is Tea Tree Essential Oil. About 16 drops in a 20 oz spray bottle and fill with water. We are in a deep wooded area and it does seem to repel the mosquitos. I would think it would work for gnats, too. We have a red coat female(Jewel)and black male (Trump). Jewel's coat seems to tolerate the tea tree oil. I love Skin so Soft, but it's pricey. I've also used the Listerine and apple cider vinegar mix.

Dianne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.