Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was away from the house all morning running errands but while I was gone our lawn guy apparently came to cut the grass. I have told him NUMEROUS times to make sure he closes the gate to our privacy fence when he leaves. We live off of a very busy highway and one of my biggest fears is the kids or the dog getting loose because of that gate. I picked up my toddler from preschool and brought him home for a nap. Gunner had been crated all morning so I let him out into the backyard for a minute. I laid my son down and literally like three minutes later went to let Gunner back in. I opened the back door and felt like I was about to have a heart attack....Gunner was GONE and the gate was standing wide open. I ran inside to get my shoes while trying to figure out what to do. My only thought was surely if he leaves the yard he will get hit by a car....the speed limit is 55mph and cars routinely go much faster. I got my shoes on and opened the front door and thank GOD Gunner is a good dog. He was laying on the front porch and lazily looked up at me like "Oh, hi Mom" I kissed that dog and thanked God he has a brain and didn't run off. Oh my lord it could have been so bad :( I can't even think about it. I called my lawn guy and left him a not so nice voicemail. Of course I should have checked before letting him out into the yard, but since I've told this guy SO many times to close it and it's not that hard I didn't even think about it. I am making a big sign to post on that gate now...I cannot risk this happening again since apparetly it's rocket science :mad:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
What is it with service people not getting the simple things?

We had a diggershotline guy come and while im in the yard with the dogs just about waltzs in.....mabel politely told him how wrong an idea that was...thankfully he was "my bad, so sorry!"

But ive had some before that think they can bitch you out for damn near trespassing and therefor almost getting bit.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheese and rice I would have fainted! I would get a spring hinge attached to your gate so it automatically closes. Very easy to install.

Glad he's safe!
It's a rental house but I'm going to ask my landlord if I can install something like that. I cannot risk this idiot leaving the gate open and losing my dog or my children. The gate is in the corner of the yard so you really have to look at it to see if it's open or not. I'm beating myself up because I should have thought to check it but it didn't even occur to me :( I'm so glad he's okay. I think I really did about faint when I saw that he was gone...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is it with service people not getting the simple things?

We had a diggershotline guy come and while im in the yard with the dogs just about waltzs in.....mabel politely told him how wrong an idea that was...thankfully he was "my bad, so sorry!"

But ive had some before that think they can bitch you out for damn near trespassing and therefor almost getting bit.
I know it...I don't understand what is so hard. He is also bad about just coming into the backyard without checking with me first. Gunner is never out there by himself for more than a few minutes but he still doesn't get it. I have a service contract with him where these things are listed in the "special instructions" but apparently it doesn't matter. We are moving soon otherwise I would be finding a new lawn guy.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's a rental house but I'm going to ask my landlord if I can install something like that. I cannot risk this idiot leaving the gate open and losing my dog or my children. The gate is in the corner of the yard so you really have to look at it to see if it's open or not. I'm beating myself up because I should have thought to check it but it didn't even occur to me :( I'm so glad he's okay. I think I really did about faint when I saw that he was gone...
Don't beat yourself up. What happened was most definitely not your fault. It was that idiot you did your lawn. If anything, beat him up!!

I wouldn't imagine you having a problem getting permission to install something from your landlord if it is safety based. I am really glad your boy is safe.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
The hinge is small and you could remove it when you leave. It looks like this: (local hardware store should have them) Gate Spring Hinges - GATE HINGES AND HARDWARE | HardwareSource.com

Hopefully they allow you to put one on. Take a deep breath.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My motto, never trust someone else. You should be able to but I find you can't. I also have double gates so if one gets left open there is still a barrier. If we have any gardener/lawn service, etc. dogs aren't let out until I've checked fences.

If possible, I'd put a lock on the gate so the lawn guy HAS to let you know he's coming. One or two wasted trips when he doesn't should fix that :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hinge is small and you could remove it when you leave. It looks like this: (local hardware store should have them) Gate Spring Hinges - GATE HINGES AND HARDWARE | HardwareSource.com

Hopefully they allow you to put one on. Take a deep breath.
Thanks...I'm trying to calm down LOL. I swear though..realizing that my dog was gone was like losing one of my kids next to a busy highway :( I have sent my landlord an email so if he approves it I will be installing one of these ASAP!

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I have 2 gates in my backyard and I check them both before I let the dogs out. I can see both my gates from the back door so it's easy to check before letting them out, thankfully. I would FLIP OUT if one or both my dogs ran off because of a stupid mistake like an open gate. I'm not sure either of my girls would stick around - there are lots of loose cats in our neighborhood and they'd race off after one in a flash.

Glad he's safe and a good boy who stayed home! :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to mount some kind of little flag, perhaps above or in front of the gate, so you could see the flag even if you couldn't see the gate. Then you could tell if the gate was closed by the position of the flag?

I'm glad nothing terrible happened and you and yours are safe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We had "Beware of Dog" signs posted, plus had special instructions with every utility, and we STILL had a meter reader enter our backyard without us knowing... Well, we didn't know until our girl started alerting and we heard a frightened "help me" coming from the backyard. Schatza was walking a semi-circle around him (he plastered himself to the fence) and was barking her head off. My mom didn't call her off until after she reamed him out.

Thankfully Gunner is safe and you'll definitely remember to check from now on! Though the spring hinge is a great idea.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Like a good carpenter...measure twice/cut once.
- either lock the gate or always check it / can't rely on other people, and don't care what the contract says
Lesson learned, without harm...I wouldn't stress over it.

Love the fact that Gunner saw fit to stay on the porch...what a great boy
- I would be developing this off-leash freedom more / as a life saver

I cut my own grass and have one John Deere dedicated to summer chores and the other setup for snow removal on a +1 acre property...but the old farmer in me, loves to ride his garden tractors...(relaxing).
- couldn't resist posting a photo of my new farm dog...He-He...protecting my same day purchase

Amy got out of my reno. home this week too, drove into the driveway a 1/2 hour later and she is waiting for me on the porch.
- we have a busy highway in front of the setback house / Amy won't touch the road, and I like it when a pup can be left with minimum supervision...that is the freedom I want, thru. training

For me, fences are primarily to keep small children in the yard and avoid a pool accident.
I don't rely on property fences, for dogs.
Posting a sign, will never be foolproof...train for keeping Gunner to within the lot perimeter or lock the gate...IMO.

Amy guarding my hobby 1992 antique JD prize...He-He...with one eye open.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
382 Posts
So glad to hear he's safe! I would have freaked...It's unfortunate that service people can't always be counted on to follow simple instructions. Hopefully your next lawn guy isn't a few cents short of a dollar!

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,611 Posts
You're lucky Gunner is a good boy!
We have both our gates fitted with gate springs and auto latches. (From HD)

11 in. Black Gate Spring-15470 at The Home Depot

Gate Latch Durable Black Finish-15048 at The Home Depot

Also, on inside I installed a large Barrel bolt that must be manually unlocked from backyard to go out.

5 in. Heavy Duty Barrel Bolt Zinc-Plated-15459 at The Home Depot

AND under each gate is a PaveStone area to keep our ChiTerrierX Lillah from digging out, under the gate but leaving enough space for water drainage.

AND by each gate we have a Doberman Sign for a final measure:

I worry more about our TerrierChiX, Lillah, she is the wanderer (she is an adopted street dog).
Spock has been great, the few times he has gotten loose he hangs around the front yard (luckily, no squirrels in vicinity)! :screama:

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
aww what a good boy to go to the front and not run away. When I was looking for a pup I was finding it hard to find a breeder that would let me get a pup without a fence. But I am very confident in my ability to train my dogs to stay close. I have owned 9 dogs now and all have been trusted to be off leash and stay close to the house.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts