Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to get my 9 month old pup Kaydee to go up steps? I have tried treats, putting her toys 2 steps up where she can stretch and get the toy. When I put the toy out of reach on the step she will bark at it saying "Mom get my toy" The steps are carpeted, I dont know why she will not go up the steps. Help, Thanks!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd probably try the same thing to get my dog up steps as I did to get them down. Put yourself and other family (dogs included) and make it look like a super fun time, call her to you. She's a doberman so she should want to be where you are and hopefully after some mild distress she'll find her way up the stairs.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Does she hop up on furniture O.K.? Run and play normally? No bunny-hopping?

Do you have another photo you can post? It may be the angle or whatever in the photo you included, but your dog's conformation looks a little "off"... like she's higher in the back end, or something. Conformation flaws can make normal things more challenging.

Do you have access to anywhere that has just a couple few steps that she can do? If she does this, then find a place with four steps to practice... then a place with five steps... etc.

What happens if you put a toy or something she wants a couple of steps up, and you simply walk away and let her solve her own problem?

Will she go down?

Has she ever fallen?

Is the carpet slippery?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gemma did not want to use our steps when we first got her. I did not use treat or toys, just myself as incentive. All it took was time and patience. After about 30 minutes of calmly siting just out of her reach she came up-we worked that way until at the top. Coming down was more challenging for her, but her velcroness proved too great and she conquered her fear. I personally do not give treats when in a fearful or unsure state, I just give me with calmness. She'll learn them :)
ETA: I also had a 18mo old GSD that had never seen steps before that learned just fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I wish I had your problem. lol. We can't keep ours down the stairs.She gets the zoomies and runs up there and I'm chasing right behind her.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah, as others have said, just let them work up to going up the stairs. Both our labs wouldn't go up stairs at first at our old house, but once they got the feel of it, the little girl was freakin flying up and especially down them. Sometimes, when she was super excited and we were playing ball, I don't even think she used the stairs, she just jumped from the top to the bottom, maybe catching one stair in between. Crazy.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I initially had same problem going with Nubis. Treat wouldn't work. So I found a 2 level step and had a close heel with him, then I turned quick and went up the stairs and before he realized it, his front paws were on the first step, then I gave lots of encouragement and "you can do it". Once at top lots of praise and a small reward
. Going down, lots of encouragement and "slow" as he understands that from walking. Bcuz I have an old bldg nearby it has different step levels. Nubis can now do 6 and loves jumping off the last step. Lol
He now tries to get in Suv but he ain't tall enuf yet, so I let him put his front paws on, let him squirm a little, heheh. Then I go, I'll help you and lift him up. i know he can climb cuz he tries all the time on the couch. Lol. But he hasn't earned that privilege yet.
Remember though once you teach steps, you are giving him many skills and they will learn to leap frog on things to get to high places lol.. Once they get confidence , they just might love up and down steps.

DONT LET THEM RUN DOWN UNTIL THEY ARE AGILE WITH THEIR FEET.
My Nubis has 3 cats in our family, so he will most likely be a climber;;!!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I'd make sure everything is okay, medically, prior to deciding it's just a training/behavioral issue.

If that is her in the pic, she looks overweight--not saying for sure she is, would have to see other pics and other angles, but she looks overweight in that one, and yes, I see some conformational issues in the rear end especially.

Function does follow form, in the animal world, and perhaps it's difficult for her to accomplish, plus a lack of confidence=doesn't want to go up stairs.

Get her hips/knees/hind end in general checked by a good vet, before you decide on a plan of action, okay?

Reactions: KenyaARaineCD
1 - 8 of 8 Posts