Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Going to the Vet's this morning with Porsche, large lump that has gotten bigger on her spine over her back legs, found another new lump under her front right leg/chest and in her throat last night.

She's 9 years old, starting to think the worst but hoping for the best. She has been sleeping a lot lately, however still has a great apetite and is still sharp on her hearing and eye sight.

I'll let you all know how it went, the appointment is at 2pm today (eastern standard time).

Shaun

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree and hopefully they are fatty tumors. Please keep us posted.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for an update, just got back from the Vet, he's particularly concerned with the lump on her back on how fast it has grown as well as the one in her throat. She has lost 5.2 lbs, usually weighing in at 92 lbs which also has caused him concern as she is not overweight by any means.

They ordered a blood test today and a cell test from each lump. Will keep you posted.

Shaun

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soooooo I got the results of Porsche's blood test today... and very relieved. No cancer! The only thing she has is an under active thyroid which she is now on medication for; Thyro 0.8mg. As well, hip problems have set it, however she's been on glucosemene pills for the past year to help with that.

So relieved, I guess with her age and for a dog that has never had any health issues, the onset of lumps gives you a scare. I was really worried about the lump in her throat, but it's just a "soft" mass, and the cell test showed no signs of cancer.

Thanks for all the well wishes! They were all well received!

Shaun

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whew !

What is the lump on the back? Arthritis?
This one is causing her some pain, but it's not cancerous. It sits right on her spine and and hind area, about 7 inches up from the tail (stub). Due to her age, doc says it would be unnecessary surgery.

I am happy to say that when they were taking cell samples out of all the lumps, not once did she whimper, growl or snap.

As I type this Porsche is passed out on the couch next to me and my wife. So happy the lumps are not cancerous!

Anyone ever deal with thyroid issues in an older Dobe, and what to expect?

We never had this issue with our previous Dobe.

Thanks!

Shaun

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I guess I would just be concerned about what actually the lump is on her spine.

You said they tested it, and what was it then? Another fatty lipoma?

Nine isn't that old, but every dog is an individual and they all age at different rates.

The thyroid would certainly explain the lethargy.

There are good meds out there for arthritis if that is what she has on her spine.

Maybe an old back injury?

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I would just be concerned about what actually the lump is on her spine.

You said they tested it, and what was it then? Another fatty lipoma?

Nine isn't that old, but every dog is an individual and they all age at different rates.

The thyroid would certainly explain the lethargy.

There are good meds out there for arthritis if that is what she has on her spine.

Maybe an old back injury?
Just a fatty lipoma, which was a relief, as it was so hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts