Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just wondering how much an average basic obedience class runs...
Am limited in my choices here (ie. there is one English speaking instructor on island) and think the price is just a bit high. $125.00 for 2 weeks. Classes are 2 nights a week and one hour long, the price also includes herm-springer training collar and hand made leather lead... Think I'm going to ask if I can get a break by supplying my own collar and lead... My hands are tied because I really want to get her in for socialzation so it's not like I can say "nope too much refuse to pay..." or anything... What do you all pay (if you don't mind...)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so this is really bothering me... She's not supposed to start the class until the 18th. I think we're going to go and watch the class that starts tomorrow night and hopefully get a chance to talk to the instructor. Right now I'm less than impressed that she wants to start Chi out with a training collar (although it is a basic obedience not a puppy class, maybe she doesn't fully realize Chi's age?) The cost was an initial shock but if the instructor turns out to be on the up and up and we learn what we want to then I guess it's completely worth it... She did (in our very rushed conversation) say that we would be more than welcome to sit in on subsequent classes at no charge for practice and socialization (She's very excited that Chi is a Dobe, not many over here)so with that taken into account the price isn't too shabby at all... I realize I'm rambling now, sorry :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
An 8 week class at my training club costs $90 for nonmembers, $20 for members. Class is one night a week, but members get a key to the building and can train whenever they want. There is always one obedience ring open for members, even during agility classes.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hey! I thought I was going to get Chi!! We paid $400 for a 2 day class. Lol. The collar and the toys I bought were the most expensive toys and collar I have ever bought. Lol. It wasn't basic obedience though, it was more behaveior classes. The basic obedience classes were right around $100 - $150.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Blackdog said:
An 8 week class at my training club costs $90 for nonmembers, $20 for members. Class is one night a week, but members get a key to the building and can train whenever they want. There is always one obedience ring open for members, even during agility classes.
Ditto

·
Registered
460 Posts
I paid 100.00 for an 8 week course with one class a week. The normal price is 150.00 for the course but I get a discount because I know the guy who owns it. ;)

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Okay I paid $375.00 for a 5 week course. One night a week for approx 2 hours. After you complete the course you can pay $50.00 to retake the entire class. It is a great deal. You can see information about the school I go to at www.a1totalcontrol.com the guys name is Steve Nixon and he is an older German fella, he teaches old school - no treats, correction and praise only.

Our class consited of the following:

Week 1. behavioral
a. house breaking
b. nipping/minor biting
c. chewing
d. digging
e. trash
f. furniture
g. jumping on people
h. running out doors/escaping
i. walking on leash
j. coming when called
k. yard control (stay in yard)
l. go to bathroom in your yard in one spot on command

return to top

Week 2. Beginning Obedience
a. Heeling/sitting
b. Turning
c. Fast/slow walking
d. Starting/stopping

return to top

Week 3. 2nd obedience class
a. review of previous week
b. laying down
c. standing up (for grooming - wiping feet, bathing)
d. hand signals (sit, stand, lay down)

return to top

Week 4. 3rd obedience class
b. teaching them to come in a different method than in behavior class
c. teaching them to go into a heel from the come position

return to top

Week 5. 4th obedience
b. teaching dog things they don't teach in schools
i. teaching them to stay directly in front of you while you are moving
ii. teach them to still respond to your commands while they are in a their own
natural relaxed place.
c. Final questions from owners

As for the training collar you should really decide how you want to train your dog, chances are if she is requiring a training collar she is also "old school" so to speak and will be training you to give your dog corrections for bad behavior. Is this how you want to train your dog? That is a question only you can answer and to debate different training methods would require an entire thread to itself.

Good Luck
TD

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
I train at 2 different places - one set of classes put on by my club, the other put on by a very qualified obedience/tracking judge.

My club charges $125 Cdn for 10 weeks which includes a 6 foot leather leash and training collar, weekly homework/handout sheets, and a bag of treats on graduation night. Since I'm a club members I pay $62.50

My other instructor charges $100 Cdn for 8 weeks - that's it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For puppy kindergarten, I paid $20 for 6 weeks. For basic obdience I paid $35 for an 8 week class, I also got a training collar and lead. For advance obdience I pay $20 a month. Agility is $55 for 8 weeks. If you are a member the price is cut in half. The classes are 1 hour each, once a week, with homework. For what everybody else is paying, I guess we have super cheap classes in hicksville.:cool2:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
TracyJo said:
Hey guys,
Just wondering how much an average basic obedience class runs...
Am limited in my choices here (ie. there is one English speaking instructor on island) and think the price is just a bit high. $125.00 for 2 weeks. Classes are 2 nights a week and one hour long, the price also includes herm-springer training collar and hand made leather lead... Think I'm going to ask if I can get a break by supplying my own collar and lead... My hands are tied because I really want to get her in for socialzation so it's not like I can say "nope too much refuse to pay..." or anything... What do you all pay (if you don't mind...)

I pay about $75 - $85 for a six week course. We got rally books and akc rally rule books for the more expensive course. The other was for obedience. From just puppy to show level.

I would pay it, even though it is steep, just because of Chi's age and getting her in for the social aspect of it, besides they are sooo fun!

·
Banned
6 Posts
i pay 85 for a 10 week course... basic obedience and then 65 for the rest obedience then i pay 125 to have private agility lessons done at an akc agility course near by

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
slandaker said:
For puppy kindergarten, I paid $20 for 6 weeks. For basic obdience I paid $35 for an 8 week class, I also got a training collar and lead. For advance obdience I pay $20 a month. Agility is $55 for 8 weeks. If you are a member the price is cut in half. The classes are 1 hour each, once a week, with homework. For what everybody else is paying, I guess we have super cheap classes in hicksville.:cool2:
Man where are you at.. I am moving there.. Wow that is cheap!! My trainer is very reasonable. $80 for a 8 week 1 hour a week basic.. but that is about what she charges for all her classes.. AKC Canine Good Citizen.. Off Leash, Agility.. Now for Spirit.Raven, and Gypsy.. they went to 2 weeks in house training at a rate of $375. the trainer kept them for 2 weeks and trained them.. At the end of the 2 weeks I was so happy Great trained dogs. Money well spent..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I train at the Parkersburg Obedience and Training Academy. That is in Parkersburg, WV. I myself live about 45 minutes away in Morgan County, Ohio. The county seat is McConnelsville with only seven stoplights. There are some benefits living way out in the country.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
slandaker said:
I train at the Parkersburg Obedience and Training Academy. That is in Parkersburg, WV. I myself live about 45 minutes away in Morgan County, Ohio. The county seat is McConnelsville with only seven stoplights. There are some benefits living way out in the country.
Well, Okay then, make room for me and 4 Dobermans.. With training rates like that I should move in with you.. :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i think a LOT depends on area. unless you train with an obedience club (and even then, most of them by me are 100-125 for a 6-8 week course) most of the big places that i would recommend people to are 135 and upwards for 6 week courses. but im also looking to train with qualified people (ie people who actively compete in said sports).

all the classes have been 100+ bucks, except for a 6 week rally course (i think that was 80 bucks).

·
Registered
273 Posts
slandaker said:

Hey, I was just there two weeks ago for the obedience & rally trial. Were you there? We got 2 Rally Novice legs. It wasn't pretty, but we qualified.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually, I missed it. I was planning to go to watch, but something came up. Loki has never competed. We have a long way to go before we are ready. The people who teach at the Academy compete a lot. One teacher does a lot of search and rescue. We are starting agility tonight. So we will see how that goes....

·
Registered
273 Posts
It was pretty nice - nice folks. It was my first ever time in an obedience competition, so I was pretty nervous.

Good luck with agility. That's the one thing we don't do. He likes it, but he finds it soooo exciting he just loses his mind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts