Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got Oakleys ears cropped last week and he is now 10 weeks old. We are planning on goin out of town for 2 weeks, 1 week on a cruise and another week visiting family. We wont leave until May 10 but i dont wanna leave him for that long in someone elses hands to deal with his ears? Should I boourd him? What should i do?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Most people in a kennel situation won't know how to post ears. You could board him at your vets, if they know what they're doing and you trust them. Some breeders will board pups they've produced at their home while the owners are on vacation, is that an option?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Leave him with whoever/wherever you believe his ears will be attended to in the best manner following your instructions and schedule.
If your vet that is doing the posting/cropped the ears has a boarding facility that would be my recommendation as they are already doing the posting or your breeder if he/she is willing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was and still thinking about cancelling until his ears are good but the wife already said no and we have had it planne for awhile and she is really lookking forward to it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no friends here with dobermans just us and we got Oakley from a breeder 4hrs away from here in the opposite directions we are going

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
no friends here with dobermans just us and we got Oakley from a breeder 4hrs away from here in the opposite directions we are going
Just my opinion 4 hours is worth it to me to make sure the ears are taken care of if your vet doesn't board

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with Jonsey's Mom. A four hour drive may seem far, but I would be doing it anyway. Not to mention, even if you're vet does board, and is able to keep his ears posted during his stay, do you reeaaaally want him to be there for two weeks? At a veterinarian? They are a hospital after all, and he would be exposed to more that he really should be at that age, IMO. If I couldn't get my breeder, a family member, or a close friend to keep him and take care of his ears, idk that I would be going.

·
joie de vivre
11,275 Posts
I'd definitely leave him with his breeder if he/she is willing to watch him. Post-crop ear care is pretty important to leave him with just anyone and hope for the best.

My girls' breeder is about 2.5-3 hours away and when I went on a long weekend trip about 1-1/2 years ago I was flying out of the airport 15-minutes from my house but I drove my girls to their breeder's home the night before because I know they're comfortable there and very well cared for. The day I got back I jumped in my car and drove to pick them up. Easy-peasy. :)

The extra drive out of my way was worth it to me for the peace of mind.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I'd definitely leave him with his breeder if he/she is willing to watch him. Post-crop ear care is pretty important to leave him with just anyone and hope for the best.

My girls' breeder is about 2.5-3 hours away and when I went on a long weekend trip about 1-1/2 years ago I was flying out of the airport 15-minutes from my house but I drove my girls to their breeder's home the night before because I know they're comfortable there and very well cared for. The day I got back I jumped in my car and drove to pick them up. Easy-peasy. :)

The extra drive out of my way was worth it to me for the peace of mind.

I think you guys might be just assuming this is a good breeder, and would, presumably, then take great care of Oakley.

I'm not sure we know enough to make that judgement, though.

This pup might actually be better off in a good commercial boarding situation, or perhaps with a good local breeder if the OP can do some networking on that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts