Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and couldn't find anything.

So... Feeding goats milk.. Good? Bad? Unnecessary?

I feel like it would be healthy for the coat and maybe good for weight management?

Any info would be appreciated!

:wavey:

(I just started milking one of my goats, Juno got in my milking pan, and she loves it.)

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
I used to give the 3day old milk to my dog's but found they digested it better when made into yogurt first... Even then it sometimes made them very loose.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy gets goats milk frequently, maybe she is part cat...LOL.
- at 11.4 years old now, she seems to be doing good / BUT, dogs that get some form of milk, I believe do better if its a part of their regular Day1 diet
(just my gut feel, it may help some...no scientific proof, here...other than my real life example & feeding program)

My pup from 1977 was on a can of Carnation Evaporited Skim Milk, for the first 1.5 years.
(on advise of respected breeder...to build strong bones)
Afterwards, we switch to regular milk often.

P.S. - Amy also gets yogurt weekly, maybe that helps milk tolerance or digestion....but, I don't know / just that Amy does excellent on goats milk.

Sinister
- great topic...b/c from most or all published material...milk generally is a no-no / does going from human cereal milk to goat type, change the rules ??

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amy gets goats milk frequently, maybe she is part cat...LOL.
- at 11.4 years old now, she seems to be doing good / BUT, dogs that get some form of milk, I believe do better if its a part of their regular Day1 diet
(just my gut feel, it may help some...no scientific proof, here...other than my real life example & feeding program)

My pup from 1977 was on a can of Carnation Evaporited Skim Milk, for the first 1.5 years.
(on advise of respected breeder...to build strong bones)
Afterwards, we switch to regular milk often.

P.S. - Amy also gets yogurt weekly, maybe that helps milk tolerance or digestion....but, I don't know / just that Amy does excellent on goats milk.

Sinister
- great topic...b/c from most or all published material...milk generally is a no-no / does going from human cereal milk to goat type, change the rules ??
Yes, I was wondering if goats milk was different than cows. With dogs, of course. I'm making cheese and selling it but until then I need a use for milking my doe.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
goats milk is what we give to the mom and puppies, and i Use it when mixing their mush that they first get at weaning time. I may give the extra to my other dogs but I don't give it to them otherwise.
THere is a diff between goat and cow milk and i don't ever use cow milk for the pups. You could check with breeders because goat's milk is expensive, and I know I LOVE it when a friend of ours has extra :) beacuse they have lots of goats. I am not allowed to get a goat :-( (or an alpaca, but that's another story....)

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
mmmmm.... goat cheese..... so good =)

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
As a little snack, mom just made Amy:
- oat meal
- peanut butter (1 table spoon)
- goats milk (+1/3 cup)
She loved it, having a little sleepy now...full belly, she lets me feel it...LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts